Question concerning ToAuction or Not.
Author

Active Collector

Post Posted: Tue Mar 04, 2003 4:03 pm 

Hello, everyone I am new here, and I admit I stumbled across the site why doing a search.  I am currently in the stage of the decision to sell it all or to hold onto it and wait. I started Playing D&D, AD&D in the early 80's. I bought some here and there, and was given a lot of it as gifts.  Over the years, I have stumbled accross a few people who want to play, but I never find others to enjoy gaming with anymore. It has been several years now since I have even bothered to take my items out of the closet.  Therefore, I decide to start to research the prices of some items and am currently on the borderline decision and finding myself desiring to sell it all. Of coarse if, any of you are like myself you also then go Oh but I have had this stuff so long now why not keep it. LOL  I have a large Selection of older items. Mostly Greyhawk items, from the world set all the way up through the, from the ashes set. Hard covers and supplements, and other items here and there.  I also have two of the books from an original set, and two 7th printing editions of Blackmoor and Eldritch. Anyhow, from what I gather I have a couple options here. One, try to sell the whole thing all at once. I can try to do so to a Reseller, Privately, or on an auction. Or, I can separate it and piece it out.  What I am hoping to get is some honest answers here form some of you on which you would do if it were you. I am also under the understanding that if I sell it to a reseller I am only looking at half the value of the items.  Lastly if I sell it on an auction as I am new to this also, is there a way to set this so it starts at the minimum price I will accept, say 6 dollars or so for individual items?  I know a lot of questions I am asking I could find if I spent time looking all around or learning the ropes, Just flat out do not have the time so I am hoping that all of you here whom I can tell care about the items and the idea of collecting being fun, in hopes some of you will answer some of the questions for me.    Thanks Bruce Thibodeau

Bruce Thibodeau

(NorthernDuckHunter)

Outdoor Photographer/Writer

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Mar 04, 2003 4:16 pm 

Hey Bruce: Sell, sell, sell!!!  :D  Seriously though.  E-bay lets you set any amount you want as a starting bid.  Just put in 6.00 as your starting bid and that will be the minimum you will get for the item (or 0.00 if it doesn't sell!)  As for selling each item or all at once...  You will probably get more selling individually because most buyers don't want to blow their wad on an expensive auction for a bunch of stuff, some of which they may not need.  The resellers will not bid what the items are worth as they would quickly go out of business from making no profits.    You have to measure what your time is worth, as selling each item individually will be quite time consuming.  You may also make a bit more selling individually by adding in a small handling charge ($.50 -$1.00) for your time and materials that you will have to spend and use packaging the items securely.  If you have the time I would sell the items individually, put a low starting bid on the items, and package them securely.  I would also contact me with a list of what you are selling so that I can make an offer before the stuff goes on e-bay!!! :P   Good luck, Matt foster1969

Active Collector

Post Posted: Tue Mar 04, 2003 4:35 pm 

With all Honesty,  I am someone who also cares alot about this stuff, and Because of that I will post here with what I have and such before I ever decide to auction. It will give everyone here a chance at the items first.  I would rather see it go to people who will care for the items and use them, or care for them instead of someone who will take and try to resell them just to make money.  I have the list completed I am currently going through and regrading what I have. I did an intial grade and was hard on some items and not so hard on others.  I also forgot to add, I have an advantage in the fact as a photographer I am able to shoot images in high quality of what I have for people to honestly see what it is they would be recieving.  What is up with the people trying to make money on E-bay who are using the images and scans from other places?  To me that could realy mislead someone  Aside form the RPG's  I jsut seen that the old Nintendo systems I still have lieing around are actually selling too.  I may have to clean out my shed too . LOL

Bruce Thibodeau

(NorthernDuckHunter)

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Mar 04, 2003 5:17 pm 

If your going to sell, I'd recommend putting a low starting bid. If you put a high starting bid, it will scare a lot of people away. Also you may want to put a reserve on something in case it goes below a price you felt was too low for you to sell.   I didn't put a reserve on some items I was selling a while back and boy was it hard to correct a mistake like that. Especially when you try to end the auction and it ends on ya. Try to explain that to the winning bidders who are happy they got a good deal on such a rare item. A mistake like that will never happen to me again, I've learned from that experience.  Also like foster said, you will get more money selling it individually and selling it yourself. If you have a good picture and good description, you should do well.  Don't sell it to resellers. They tend to give you ridiculously low prices. A $100 book they offer you like 5-10. Thats plain ripping you off and then they have the guts to sell it for $150 to another collector. Goregor and Red touched upon this on the NG.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Wed Mar 05, 2003 7:09 pm 

Thank You for the advise, from both of you, it was helpful, very. I have posted under classified  my entire list of what I have.  It is cataloged by TSR catalog numbers, with the discription of what it is next to it.  I will leave this here for a couple of weeks to see if or what I get for interest, then It will be off to Auction.  Besides  I need to watch and learn how to do this and read som emore on it before I try to auction items. :)

Bruce Thibodeau

(NorthernDuckHunter)