Fraudulent Second Chance offers reported
Author

Grandstanding Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Mar 22, 2005 2:14 pm 

marquez9500

Has made a second chance offer to me for the Ghost Tower of Inverness listing that Jeff won a few days ago. I asked Jeff about this and he confirmed that he and the TRUE seller are getting on fine. The seller insists they are NOT making this second chance offer. I have reported this attempt to defraud to E-Bay. I will make a follow through report IF E-Bay takes any action.

You will not likely see that follow-up as E-Bay could give a crap about anything but the money, despite the claims they make to the contrary.... :x

This is the first E-Mail, which is not actually an official second chance offer notice, but simply a 'question from a fellow e-bay member'.

Below that is the second try to take me for a total sap...........

Date: Mon, 21 Mar 2005 00:45:03 -0800
To: [email protected]
Subject: Question from eBay Member

Please do not reply to this email as you will not receive a response. This email was sent by an eBay member via eBay's email forwarding system.

Message From eBay Member  

Marketplace Safety Tip  

If this email is an offer to sell an item without winning it on the eBay Web site (including "second chance offers" sent through this email system) please do not respond to the sender.
These "off-eBay" transactions are unsafe and not covered by eBay purchase protection programs.

Never pay for your eBay item using instant cash transfer services such as Western Union or MoneyGram.
These payment methods are unsafe when paying someone you do not know.

If this email is inappropriate or violates ebay policy, please help protect other eBay community members by reporting it to us immediately.  

Dear aneoth,

**PLEASE READ CAREFULY** You expressed interest in an item titled:ANCIENT RARE D&D Modules & MORE WOW Item number: 5174093551 by bidding, however the auction has ended with another member as the high bidder. In compliance with eBay policy, the seller is making this Second Chance Offer to you at your bid price. The seller has issued this Second Chance Offer because either the winning bidder was unable to complete the transaction or the seller has duplicate items for sale. If you accept this offer, you will be able to exchange Feedback with the seller and will be eligible for eBay services associated with a transaction, such as fraud protection. TO PURCHASE THIS ITEM CONTACT THE SELLER IN THIS EMAIL ADDRESS: [email protected] To see this item, click on the following page: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... item=51740 93551&rd=1 Thank you, eBay Inc.

Please respond to the question on eBay by clicking the button below.

Thank you,
marquez9500

And here is the response to my inquiry directly through the listing.....

Date: Mon, 21 Mar 2005 18:59:52 -0800 (PST)
From: "Christine Shank" <[email protected]>  Add to Address Book
Subject: Re: Question posée par un membre eBay
To: [email protected]

hello there,
you are one of the bidders who bid on my auction
i have begin this second chance offer because the
winner of my auction didn`t respond to my email.
There are a lots of biiders who bid on the auction
from fun and i hope you are serios and we can
make a clear deal.
now for the start i will explain you somme steps for
finish this transaction.
You can see in the rules that the price is your last
bid!
soo if you are realy interested, now all you have to
do is to send me exactly those informations:
First name:
Last name:
Address:
City:
Zip:
Item #:
Total amount:
i need the detailes exactly like i have requested to
you because i have to fowoard the email to eBay.
In short time eBay will contact you soon with an
Invoice in order to complete the transaction!
Please mail me in this email address [email protected]
Thanks you!

[email protected] wrote: Cet e-mail vous a été envoyé via le système de réacheminement des e-mails d'eBay. Si vous répondez à cet e-mail, votre réponse sera directement envoyée au vendeur sans passer par eBay.

Message d'un membre eBay  

Astuces de sécurité  

Si cet e-mail vous invite à acheter un objet en dehors d'eBay (ou bien s'il contient une « Offre de la seconde chance »), veuillez ne pas répondre à l'expéditeur.
Les transactions effectuées en dehors d'eBay ne sont pas sûres et ne sont pas couvertes par le Programme de protection pour les acheteurs.

N'effectuez jamais vos paiements par transfert instantané d'argent à l'aide de services tels que Western Union ou MoneyGram.
Il s'agit de modes de paiement peu sûrs lorsque vous payez quelqu'un que vous ne connaissez pas.

Si cet e-mail n'est pas approprié de quelque façon que ce soit, ou s'il va à l'encontre du règlement d'eBay, veuillez nous le signaler immédiatement.  

Cher(ère) marquez9500,

HI, I received a second chance offer notice from you or someone acting as you. Please confirm this is a true offer, and please include reasons for the secod chance as well. Also please confirm all of the items that are included with the second chance offer and the price required. Thanks, Aneoth

Veuillez répondre à la question sur eBay en cliquant sur le bouton ci-dessous.

Merci,
aneoth

"Guys, I am starting to think Tegel Manor might be haunted..."
Stated by me as a PC during a run of Tegel Manor DMed by killjoy at NTRPGCon 2010

Charter Member of the ATM

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Mar 22, 2005 2:18 pm 

who is this "Christine SKANK" anyway?  did they actually contact you via the username marquez9500?

Grandstanding Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Mar 22, 2005 2:37 pm 

afoolandhis$ wrote:who is this "Christine SKANK" anyway? did they actually contact you via the username marquez9500?

Don't know, but English is not likely her base language. And who is this marquez9500?

I have seen that name in regards to Second Chance offers before and I said as much to E-Bay when I reported this deal.

BTW: I PM'ed you regarding your inquiry about Acaeum Rares......
I can send pictures of those you want some for... I will need an E-Mail to do so though.

Stated by me as a PC during a run of Tegel Manor DMed by killjoy at NTRPGCon 2010

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Tue Mar 22, 2005 2:43 pm 

Aneoth wrote:I have seen that name in regards to Second Chance offers before

*nods*. Or very similar...
Certainly s.t.b. from France.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Mar 22, 2005 2:48 pm 

Yes, Highly bogus sham going on.  I received a very similar second chance offer for the 1st ever sold PHB from Stormbers auction from this same character.

Dear a2jeff,

**PLEASE READ CAREFULY** You expressed interest in an item titled:Unique! Players Handbook TRUE 1st 1st Sold! Item number: 5173461823 by bidding, however the auction has ended with another member as the high bidder. In compliance with eBay policy, the seller is making this Second Chance Offer to you at your bid price. The seller has issued this Second Chance Offer because either the winning bidder was unable to complete the transaction or the seller has duplicate items for sale. If you accept this offer, you will be able to exchange Feedback with the seller and will be eligible for eBay services associated with a transaction, such as fraud protection. TO PURCHASE THIS ITEM CONTACT THE SELLER IN THIS EMAIL ADDRESS: [email protected] To see this item, click on the following page: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 61823&rd=1 Thank you, eBay Inc.

Please respond to the question on eBay by clicking the button below.

Thank you,
marquez9500

I say we track down this Marquez dude and go medieval   :twisted:

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Mar 22, 2005 3:06 pm 

Yeah, definitely.  It's shitty enough in the first place, but borders on sacriligeous with items of this stature.  :evil:

Aneoth:  thanks for the note.  My email is [email protected] (corny, I know).

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Mar 22, 2005 4:07 pm 

afoolandhis$ wrote:Yeah, definitely. It's shitty enough in the first place, but borders on sacriligeous with items of this stature. :evil:

Guys, anyone here ever been to Scambaiters.com or 419eater.com?  These are people with too much time and mischief on their hands who respond to Nigerian "scam" emails about inheriting millions of dollars or whatever, and then proceed to lead the scammer around by his nose for months and months through bogus stories and emails, wasting the scammer's time and money and having a hilarious blast in the process eventually posting the results.  Maybe one of us needs to set up a fake email address and start corresponding with this scumbag, and if nothing else we can waste his time.  Say we really want the item and are willing to pay DOUBLE what the price is, but first we require scans, photos, signed affadavits from the authors, all kinds of crap, just to see what kind of ridiuclous crap the scammer will try and recreate to get a hand on our (nonexistent) money. I've got some ideas about a collector of D&D who is Mark Cuban wealthy and wouldn't mind spending hundreds if not thousands on goodies but is VERY picky about his product, and also maybe just a little bit insane, this could be a pretty good bit. Aneoth, I'll see you and Pain Saturday, maybe we can work up something between the three of us, I'll bring some sample emails we can send to this person to rock their world.
   In the meantime, anyone who has had a bogus Second Chance offer please post here the content as well as the email address of the loser trying to pull the scam, the more stuff we get on him the more believible the counter scam will be......

Mike B.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Mar 22, 2005 4:14 pm 

Badmike wrote:In the meantime, anyone who has had a bogus Second Chance offer please post here the content as well as the email address of the loser trying to pull the scam, the more stuff we get on him the more believible the counter scam will be......

Check out Something Awful: The Internet Makes You Stupid (warning, can be offensive and graphicly rude, but funny as hell).

They have a topic where they've led on scammers, heck, they might be part of those other sites.  Funny stuff.

There are no bad editions of D&D, just Boring Players and Unimaginative DMs.

Grandstanding Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Mar 22, 2005 4:16 pm 

Badmike wrote:
afoolandhis$ wrote:Yeah, definitely. It's shitty enough in the first place, but borders on sacriligeous with items of this stature. :evil:

Guys, anyone here ever been to Scambaiters.com or 419eater.com? These are people with too much time and mischief on their hands who respond to Nigerian "scam" emails about inheriting millions of dollars or whatever, and then proceed to lead the scammer around by his nose for months and months through bogus stories and emails, wasting the scammer's time and money and having a hilarious blast in the process eventually posting the results. Maybe one of us needs to set up a fake email address and start corresponding with this scumbag, and if nothing else we can waste his time. Say we really want the item and are willing to pay DOUBLE what the price is, but first we require scans, photos, signed affadavits from the authors, all kinds of crap, just to see what kind of ridiuclous crap the scammer will try and recreate to get a hand on our (nonexistent) money. I've got some ideas about a collector of D&D who is Mark Cuban wealthy and wouldn't mind spending hundreds if not thousands on goodies but is VERY picky about his product, and also maybe just a little bit insane, this could be a pretty good bit. Aneoth, I'll see you and Pain Saturday, maybe we can work up something between the three of us, I'll bring some sample emails we can send to this person to rock their world.
 In the meantime, anyone who has had a bogus Second Chance offer please post here the content as well as the email address of the loser trying to pull the scam, the more stuff we get on him the more believible the counter scam will be......

Mike B.

Yes, indeedy......... :twisted:
One request/demand at a time though. We would want to string this blankety blank jerk along for as long as possible.....

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Mar 22, 2005 5:06 pm 

Badmike wrote:

Guys, anyone here ever been to Scambaiters.com or 419eater.com? These are people with too much time and mischief on their hands who respond to Nigerian "scam" emails about inheriting millions of dollars or whatever, and then proceed to lead the scammer around by his nose for months and months through bogus stories and emails, wasting the scammer's time and money and having a hilarious blast in the process eventually posting the results. Maybe one of us needs to set up a fake email address and start corresponding with this scumbag, and if nothing else we can waste his time. Say we really want the item and are willing to pay DOUBLE what the price is, but first we require scans, photos, signed affadavits from the authors, all kinds of crap, just to see what kind of ridiuclous crap the scammer will try and recreate to get a hand on our (nonexistent) money. I've got some ideas about a collector of D&D who is Mark Cuban wealthy and wouldn't mind spending hundreds if not thousands on goodies but is VERY picky about his product, and also maybe just a little bit insane, this could be a pretty good bit. Aneoth, I'll see you and Pain Saturday, maybe we can work up something between the three of us, I'll bring some sample emails we can send to this person to rock their world.

Mike B.

Yeah, I read a hilarious article about such a situation where the guy stringing along the scammer eventually started sending the scammer emails about having murdered someone and needing to claim his share of the dough asap.  He even sent some graphic pics (hoaxed) of a guy sitting in a bathtub drenched in blood.  Funny, but definitely some weird shit.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Mar 22, 2005 5:15 pm 

Aneoth wrote:
Badmike wrote:

Mike B.

Yes, indeedy......... :twisted:
One request/demand at a time though. We would want to string this blankety blank jerk along for as long as possible.....

Aneoth, don't reply to the offer, I have a bogus email I'm going to send from an anonymous aol account.  I told them my yahoo account has been closed and they should send all info to the aol address. If they bite, it should be funny. Regardless I'll post what I sent and what I get as a reply.

Mike B.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Mar 22, 2005 5:37 pm 

MrFilthyIke wrote:
Badmike wrote:In the meantime, anyone who has had a bogus Second Chance offer please post here the content as well as the email address of the loser trying to pull the scam, the more stuff we get on him the more believible the counter scam will be......

Check out Something Awful: The Internet Makes You Stupid (warning, can be offensive and graphicly rude, but funny as hell).

They have a topic where they've led on scammers, heck, they might be part of those other sites. Funny stuff.

Some of the scams are so funny I've been laughing with tears coming out of my eyes.  They literally string these guys along for months with promises of sending money.  Some get the Nigerians to pose for nude photos by pretending to be in American women in love with them, sometimes they even scam the scammers and get them to send money (by saying stuff like they need the Nigerian to send $100 in cash as a good faith gesture). Maybe we can start our own "Scam the scammer" thread here as it applies to Fake Second Chance offers on Ebay for expensive D&D collections...

Mike B.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Mar 22, 2005 5:54 pm 

Geez, and I though that the seller had suddenly had his deal fall through with a2jeff, got a sex change from male to female, and moved to France all in less than a weeks time. :roll:

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Grandstanding Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Mar 22, 2005 5:57 pm 

Badmike wrote:Aneoth, don't reply to the offer, I have a bogus email I'm going to send from an anonymous aol account. I told them my yahoo account has been closed and they should send all info to the aol address. If they bite, it should be funny. Regardless I'll post what I sent and what I get as a reply.
Mike B.

OK... please keep us informed....
I will see you on Saturday at Half Price books at 11:30 AM...
As before, I will be wondering about in the Fantasy/SciFi book section...

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Mar 22, 2005 6:48 pm 

Aneoth wrote:I will see you on Saturday at Half Price books at 11:30 AM...

What city is that book store in?  Sounds nice, and I do like to travel:)

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Mar 22, 2005 7:10 pm 

*see below* :wink:

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Mar 22, 2005 7:16 pm 

MrFilthyIke wrote:
Aneoth wrote:I will see you on Saturday at Half Price books at 11:30 AM...

What city is that book store in? Sounds nice, and I do like to travel:)

We are meeting Saturday morning in McKinney, TX at the site of the new Half Price Books.  Last meeting of North Texas Acaeum members was in December and it was attended by myself, King of Pain and Aneoth at the Frisco mall here in North Texas.  I would suppose anyone who wants to can meet us at the Half Price books at Central (Hwy75) and El Dorado Pkwy 11 am Saturday.  Last meeting we had a lot of fun basically shooting the breeze for several hours on all topics D&D and gaming related. It's great to put a face to the name, if anyone else thinks they can make it let one of us know and we will be looking for you.

Mike B.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Mar 22, 2005 7:20 pm 

Badmike wrote:It's great to put a face to the name, if anyone else thinks they can make it let one of us know and we will be looking for you.

Mike B.

Being I'm in Miami, not likely.  But knowing of good bookstores when one travels...THAT'S handy information. ;)  I'd love to join, but no government has devised telportation (that we know of).  :D

Next