Please help with a dice question
Author

Collector

Post Posted: Tue Mar 26, 2024 3:20 am 

Hi,

I am new to collecting and so confused on the different types/styles of early D&D dice.
At least related to the basic sets, I believe there were Holmes, Moldvay, and Mentzer dice.
Is there a good website or reference to be able to tell the difference between these and other dice?

I attached a photo of dice that are reported as original red box dice, but to my untrained eye, only the d10 is a red box/Mentzer die and the others I am not sure about

I appreciate any advice you can offer

Thanks, Brian

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Sage Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Tue Mar 26, 2024 9:28 am 

There are a few sites that cover dice, but here's one that is quite comprehensive:

DiceCollector.com - Home of the Worlds Largest Dice Collection - THE place for Dice Info & Questions

DiceCollector.com - DICE THEME : BRAND : TSR

Sage Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Tue Mar 26, 2024 10:31 am 

Oh, and those are all Mentzer dice.  They can be identified by their colors, the flat tops on the 3's, and the elongated D8's.

It was fairly common to get a mixed color set.  Your set is in really nice condition!

Collector

Post Posted: Tue Mar 26, 2024 1:58 pm 

I am such a novice at collecting. I am trying to get an idea of values as a reference point...What might the 5 dice and crayon be worth (I understand of course, an estimate is all I can hope for).

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Mar 26, 2024 7:42 pm 

I recommend checking ebay. Search for "dungeons and dragons dice," click advanced search and check sold listings.

I say this because prices are commonly all over the place. There is a massive difference in sold listings priced to sell in a week and great sellers such as packripper who is a mutiple higher than most, but he is trusted with accurate listings, good packaging, and isnt in a rush to sell everything.

Some folks here are sellers, but most arent.

I hope this helps!

Long-Winded Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Wed Mar 27, 2024 12:59 am 

I have been told that the best place for dice collecting is FB... i know little about this as i am not on FB!