RE: Passing of Jim Ward
Author

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Mar 18, 2024 8:50 pm 

It's being reported that Jim Ward has passed.

Ward contributed so much to the games we love, and he was one of its first players.  Ward was one of the players in Gary Gygax's early Greyhawk games as Gygax developed the Dungeons & Dragons game.  The Dungeons & Dragons character Drawmij was named after him.  "Drawmij" is "Jim Ward" spelled backwards.   Ward designed Metamorphosis Alpha, which was the first science-fantasy role-playing game, and published as TSR's fourth role-playing game. Ward co-authored Deities & Demigods.   Ward wrote Greyhawk Adventures.  Ward, with David Cook, Steve Winter, and Mike Breault, co-wrote the Ruins of Adventure scenario that was adapted into the game Pool of Radiance.  In 1989 he was inducted into the Academy of Adventure Gaming Arts & Design Hall of Fame.  

James Ward married his wife Janean in the early 1970s, and they have three sons together, Breck, James, and Theon.  In 2010, Ward was diagnosed with a serious neurological disorder that required treatment at the Mayo Clinic. He was 72.  :(

Truth is worth finding and life is too short to work for money.

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Mar 18, 2024 8:58 pm 

Sad news. At Founders & Legends Skip mentioned that he was in the hospital, was hopping for the best. Jim was always happy to talk when we saw him at the cons.

Available now from Die Cast Games: Night of the Black Swords by Allen Hammack (Author of C2-The Ghost Tower of Inverness) with artwork by Jeff Easley and Diesel.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Mar 18, 2024 9:33 pm 

Oh man, sorry to hear that.  My first Gary Con I attended back in the days when it was small, he was a co-DM for the game.  Bill Hoyer was too (sadly also, RIP).  Had a great lunch with Bill then and good conversations with Jim when I saw him.  My condolences to his family and others who knew him well.

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Mon Mar 18, 2024 9:50 pm 

I am starting to question what the heck Lake Geneva is sitting on.  Upsetting that another ‘Founder’ is no longer with us.  He was only 72.   :cry:   RIP Mr. Ward.  Your work helped shape a large part of my early teen years.  Thank you.

-SKA

Long-Winded Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Tue Mar 19, 2024 12:54 am 

What a sad news... another giant returns to Jotunheim... RIP

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Mar 19, 2024 6:57 am 

Jim was very active on Facebook, and I had the pleasure of interacting with him often.  I found him to be a wonderful person with so much to share, and despite his status as a gaming icon, he always seemed to make time for anybody that wanted to chat.  Rest in Peace.