50th Anniversary Thread
Author

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Mar 25, 2024 4:47 pm 

Here are the Converse shoes and shirts:

Converse x Dungeons & Dragons Collection. Converse.com

On sale April 11th.

Available now from Die Cast Games: Night of the Black Swords by Allen Hammack (Author of C2-The Ghost Tower of Inverness) with artwork by Jeff Easley and Diesel.

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Mon Mar 25, 2024 5:09 pm 

I really wish they would spend their efforts on the game and not this stuff  :cry:

-SKA

Sage Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Mon Mar 25, 2024 7:26 pm 

Wow, those are interesting additions to the D&D products available.

Long-Winded Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Tue Mar 26, 2024 1:13 am 

Is anyone following this: https://50yearsinthedungeon.substack.com/
It seems interesting even though there is a subscrption at payment...

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Mar 26, 2024 4:28 pm 

Sir Kill Alot wrote in 50th Anniversary Thread:I really wish they would spend their efforts on the game and not this stuff  :cry:

-SKA

I agree. There should be a 50th Anniversary set like the Silver Anniversary, with reprints of most of the AD&D modules and the MM, PHB, and DMG.

Available now from Die Cast Games: Night of the Black Swords by Allen Hammack (Author of C2-The Ghost Tower of Inverness) with artwork by Jeff Easley and Diesel.

Sage Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:06 pm 

burntwire brothers wrote in 50th Anniversary Thread:I agree. There should be a 50th Anniversary set like the Silver Anniversary, with reprints of most of the AD&D modules and the MM, PHB, and DMG.

Amen to that.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:59 pm 

The hard backs are coming one at a time with the MM getting released in March of 2025 apparently. It really feels like they dropped the ball preparing or just had bad ideas. I get the cross marketing, I just dont care about it. Silver anniversary is looking amazing at this point.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Mar 27, 2024 1:19 pm 

burntwire brothers wrote in 50th Anniversary Thread:
I agree. There should be a 50th Anniversary set like the Silver Anniversary, with reprints of most of the AD&D modules and the MM, PHB, and DMG.

Totally.

I know its beyond the realm of this board, but something like "Forgotten Realms Through the Ages" would appeal greatly. From that rare letter thing (Greenwood wrote, its in Acaeum Misc i think) through to 2nd/3rd ed.

Also reprints of the earlier things would be great.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Apr 01, 2024 7:22 am 

I have purchased the lego set - you can spend 2700 Lego points to get a physical copy of the attached adventure though a digital version is free and on that D&D Beyond thing also.

Having kids of the right age makes the lego a no-brainer for me - but I guess YMMV for lots of people

Long-Winded Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Mon Apr 01, 2024 11:26 pm 

Is this the super-duper item every D&D fan was e expecting for the 50th anniversary???

Quests from the Infinite Staircase (What We Know So Far) | D&D Books.

Ok, that is not a bad idea... however let me say it seems good from far but far from good...

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Apr 02, 2024 8:05 am 

I dont know if any item is really considered "The One." Maybe the history book? But I am glad to see a remake of the old modules. I am certain there will be an alternate cover announced later, which is getting annoying.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Apr 03, 2024 8:00 am 

aia wrote in 50th Anniversary Thread:Is this the super-duper item every D&D fan was e expecting for the 50th anniversary???

Ok, that is not a bad idea... however let me say it seems good from far but far from good...

Being of the new edition just dates it.

It seems pretty clear that they think something in an older edition just wont sell. (and that they couldnt give a shit about making one if its not going to be profitable).

Looking at the lead MTG designers blog over the years, they are very attuned to products (recently they cancelled a follow-on small set, and rolled it into the main one because a previous iteration of this idea failed). My take is that they're very clever with their sales data.

Driving my thought above. They think it'll sell very poorly unless its in the current ED rules.

Which is kind of insane given they're about to replace them.

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Wed Apr 03, 2024 4:37 pm 

aia wrote in 50th Anniversary Thread:Is this the super-duper item every D&D fan was e expecting for the 50th anniversary???

Call me old fashioned, but I can't get past this art style.  Its just...boring...

Why is every picture, or almost every picture, predominantly pink or purple?  I like purple, but I'm having visions of Grimace dancing in my head.

-SKA

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Apr 08, 2024 12:43 pm 

The little booklet for the D&D adventure attached to the Lego set is quite cool (and now sold out it seems). Am going to have a try at running it with the kids (I think I have the 5th ed rules hanging around).

The whole set is immensely fun to build and can highly recommend it (though only 50% through construction).

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Apr 08, 2024 10:42 pm 

Sir Kill Alot wrote in 50th Anniversary Thread:
Call me old fashioned, but I can't get past this art style.  Its just...boring...

Why is every picture, or almost every picture, predominantly pink or purple?  I like purple, but I'm having visions of Grimace dancing in my head.

-SKA

"Hey, our writers are shit, most are under 30 years old and have no comprehension of what made this company and game great. Frankly, their offerings make a pigeon droppings look tasty. Can we just reprint some of the classic stuff the old white guys we detest wrote 40 years ago, update it to 5E, throw some garbage AI artwork all over it, and include a completely made up new lameoid character that has no connection to anything except it'll show those idiots out there we are still awake and creating "new" content?"

"Sounds good, maybe we can trick some of the old timers we've chased out of here into paying $100 for a book they'll never use with a system they don't care about. What else we got for the 50th? Another movie? Another computer game?"

"We have the VTT computer program that we haven't fully vetted or tested that may or may not run, and some gussied up rulebooks with no new rules that are coming out at the end of the year."

"Can we microtransaction some of this shit?"

"Well, duh, of course."

Mike B.

"THE MORE YOU THINK ABOUT WHY i DONE WHAT i DONE THE MORE i LAUGH" Cougar
"The Acaeum hates fun" Sir Allen
"I had a collecting emergency" Nogrod
Co-founder of the North Texas RPG Con
NTRPGCON

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Apr 15, 2024 11:12 am 

Meh.

If I were an old-timer playing 5E with my kids, I suppose I might be happy to see conversions done for me.  But I'm not.
I guess giving youngsters some exposure to the classics is at least a mildly good thing.
Doesn't do anything for the people that actually have a sense of D&D's history, though.

The modules they picked are wildly different thematically.  The connection between them is obviously going to be contrived and tenuous.  
(I know there's precedent for that going way back, but I'm underwhelmed by it.)

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Mon Apr 15, 2024 5:35 pm 

This seems interesting.. bundled old modules on sale...

Get seven classic D&D adventures for just $32 - Polygon

I clicked on the bundle link and am taken here...

DriveThruRPG

I was a little (actually a lot) shocked at the prices of the PDF's.  I haven't purchased one in 20 years but regular price of $8 for B4 and S4, and $7 for S3 is pretty steep in my opinion.

Even the 'sale' priced bundle seems high or maybe I'm just complaining to hear myself complain.   :(

Starting a new acronym.  OOTOF - Out Of Touch Old Fart..

-SKA

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Apr 15, 2024 7:32 pm 

I don't buy pdf's.  However, I have bought several modules from DriveThruRPG, and was pleased overall with the prices, quality and service. L3 Deep Dwarven Delve for $8.99 is reasonable, and many other similar-sized adventures cost about the same.  The shipping is a little high, but if you buy several items, it averages out okay.  YMMV.   8)

Truth is worth finding and life is too short to work for money.

PreviousNext