50th Anniversary Thread
Author

Long-Winded Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sun Feb 18, 2024 11:32 pm 

Tszii wrote in 50th Anniversary Thread:The history book is on amazon for preorder. They dont charge until it ships. A down side here is sometimes they package books like no one cares about dented corners. The book will also likely be widely available.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/0786969857?ps ... ct_details

Uhmmm... is a book with only scans of original books? What is it about? Who is the author? Uhmmm...

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Feb 19, 2024 8:44 am 

"The History Book" is about the start of DnD. It includes reprints of the original box set, supplements and extra material.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PhxVlgehNpc

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Feb 19, 2024 9:25 pm 

I echo Tszii's comments.  I think if you've followed Jon Peterson's stuff from Playing at the World to present, this will be a nice addition to the lineup.  If the video is correct, the OD&D and supplements are all the reprints of the first printing with Chainmail being the reprint of the 2nd edition.  I will probably get two copies of this.  One to read and one to... well, no need to explain to a collectors audience!

Long-Winded Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Mon Feb 19, 2024 11:44 pm 

I have some concerns about the whole thing here... sorry if i didn't google it before, i have a question about the video: who is mr Tondro? I have never heard about him...

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Feb 20, 2024 9:03 am 

Jason Tondro is a designer at Wizards. He is relatively new to the company, but he has an academic background. He is the lead on this project; I worked with him to put this together.

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Tue Feb 20, 2024 6:38 pm 

mrmanowar wrote in 50th Anniversary Thread:I echo Tszii's comments.  I think if you've followed Jon Peterson's stuff from Playing at the World to present, this will be a nice addition to the lineup.  If the video is correct, the OD&D and supplements are all the reprints of the first printing with Chainmail being the reprint of the 2nd edition.  I will probably get two copies of this.  One to read and one to... well, no need to explain to a collectors audience!

In the video, Tondro indicated it would contain at least:
---2nd Edition Chainmail
---the map from Outdoor Survival
---the "Guidon D&D" draft from 1973
---the first printing of the LBBs (complete with the Tolkien references) from early 1974
---the first three supplements
---much correspondence and magazine articles.

I have summary post on my blog covering everything we (the public) know about the book so far.

Zenopus Archives website & blog: Exploring the Underworld of Holmes Basic D&D. Holmes Ref: Reference Sheets for Holmes Basic Referees, also compatible with OD&D plus the Greyhawk supplement

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Feb 20, 2024 11:59 pm 

Nice! Looks good.

Long-Winded Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Wed Feb 21, 2024 12:07 am 

Well i still have my concerns: what is new in this book which is not already covered by Jon's books and it is not a reproduction of the books a collector already owns in original?
If i understood correctly there should be some letters and some parts of zines... anything else? I am not convinced yet...

@Increment: is there any part never published till today? In case, i don't look for details, just to understand if that is, say, less than 50 pages on 500 ...

@Zenopus: i read your post and didn't get the last part about the price reduction... did you get a reduction for the purchase of Art&Arcana? Can you pls explain it, thanks!

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Feb 23, 2024 11:27 am 

Tszii wrote in 50th Anniversary Thread:"The History Book" is about the start of DnD. It includes reprints of the original box set, supplements and extra material.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PhxVlgehNpc

Sorry, by reprints you mean the full content of all of this is within this book? Which is also a history book simultaneously? Is this not trying to do too many things at one?

Why are they just not releasing a reprint of this "never before seen Gary gygax original draft" or whatever.

edit: does any kind soul have a link for the UK? I cannot see one (or find one) I guess I can buy the US one but rather the UK store if possible!

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Feb 23, 2024 2:42 pm 

I'm not trying to be cute about this - it's really just up to Wizards what they want to announce about the contents of the book before it comes out, not me.

Collector

Post Posted: Thu Feb 29, 2024 11:25 pm 

increment wrote in 50th Anniversary Thread:I'm not trying to be cute about this - it's really just up to Wizards what they want to announce about the contents of the book before it comes out, not me.

The Amazon item description includes:
- Unearth the very first draft of original D&D, never released to the public until now. Crafted on Gygax’s home typewriter, this 1973 document contains handwritten notes by both Gygax and Arneson.
- Discover approximately 30 early articles and rare documents that lay the foundation for modern D&D, including unpublished correspondence between Gygax and Arneson.
- Peruse a remarkable collection of magazine and fanzine articles, many of which are no longer publicly available or remain undiscovered by D&D historians and fans of classic D&D.
- Flip through facsimiles of all the first printings of Original D&D, compiled in a single book for the first time in D&D’s publishing history.
- Explore the creation and development of the original 1974 game with insightful commentary by Jon Peterson, one of D&D’s foremost historians.
- Commemorate our 50th anniversary with this homage to D&D's past. We invite you to look back on D&D’s history with a discerning eye as we celebrate how far D&D has come. Here’s to 50 years, and 50 more!

Noah
TheVeteranDM
US Army (retired)  PDT_Armataz_01_05
Dahlonega, GA
http://www.youtube.com/@theveterandm

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Mar 07, 2024 7:15 am 

Wizards/MTG are releasing a 50th anniversary 'dungeon' card. Basically you venture through these things that you can bring from outside your deck.

Its not super cool (basically just BG3 in a card) but thought would share here anyway. Card will only be through in store rewards for drafting i believe.

https://wpn.wizards.com/en/news/venture ... raft-event

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Mar 19, 2024 3:38 pm 

Lego unveil their 50th Anniversary Set - looks like the leaked one - dragon is now red however.

https://www.lego.com/en-gb/themes/ideas ... gons/about

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:37 pm 

shadeun wrote in 50th Anniversary Thread:Lego unveil their 50th Anniversary Set - looks like the leaked one - dragon is now red however.

https://www.lego.com/en-gb/themes/ideas ... gons/about

That Lego set is over $400 with taxes/shipping.  I would imagine it will double in price the first year out of print due to low sales.   :(

-SKA

Sage Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Tue Mar 19, 2024 9:17 pm 

I'll be tempted to pick that Lego set up.  It looks really good.

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Tue Mar 19, 2024 11:39 pm 

A better in-depth look.  It is a massive set...

Lego’s 3,745-piece D&D set comes with its own playable adventure - The Verge

-SKA

Long-Winded Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Wed Mar 20, 2024 1:25 am 

I saw the ad on youtube and was disappointed... the very first proposal of the guy was more accurate and nicelooking! By far! ...try to compare the two and let me have your opinion, pls

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Mar 20, 2024 8:45 am 

As usual with Lego "inspirations," the fan-based ones generally look much better. I do like the addition of the Owlbear and the Beholder though! And when have myconids ever been considered "Iconic"?  :lol:

PreviousNext