White Box Books
Author

Collector

Post Posted: Sat Jan 20, 2024 6:17 pm 

Hi all,

Has there been any valuation of the individual books in the original white box? I see prices for the supplements, but not the books in the set. I guess another way of asking this is, how would the set (three books + reference sheets) be priced if there is no accompanying box?

Cheers,
LB

Site Admin

Post Posted: Sat Jan 20, 2024 7:52 pm 

This question's come up a few times over the years.  Fairly or not, a boxed set without the box is considered "incomplete", and no estimated value given.  That doesn't mean it's worthless -- but you should assume some discount percentage of the value of a complete set (and probably a hefty percentage).  This is because these items are "collectibles" and are not being obtained for the information inside -- which is almost universally available for free on the Internet now anyways.  Think of what the value of one rare earring would be -- without its companion.  Probably far less than half a complete pair.

Typically the value of "pieces" of a set is only in their ability to complete or upgrade a set that someone already owns.

Foul

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Jan 20, 2024 8:09 pm 

For 6th and 7th prints? I have seen $45 to $80 or so. Maybe even $100 in rare circumstances. 5th prints would generally be more. 4th prints maybe even a little higher. I think a first print Men and Magic went for $2500 a while back. Someone might want to correct that.

All in all, ebay auctions end all over the place. Some folks just hear about something, drop into ebay for the first time - because where else are you going to buy such a thing? And they assume the lowest buy it now is the going rate, and add to cart.

Long-Winded Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sun Jan 21, 2024 1:57 am 

You can follow this auction to see a real example of a similar case:

** eBay auction listing blocked.  Please enable cookies in your browser for this site and for eBay! **

Collector

Post Posted: Sun Jan 21, 2024 1:03 pm 

Thanks, all, for the quick replies.  Very helpful.  The set I was looking at are sixth printings (the ask, if you're curious, is $CD550 for the books from the set + a 9th print of Greyhawk and a 5th print of Swords and Spells).

LB

Sage Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Mon Jan 22, 2024 5:00 am 

The books can and do sell on ebay by themselves. And of course people are often attracted to buy things outside of "sharp" commercial value, but for me that price would be a bit high. For many games (not just D&D), the game box is a cool thing to have as it is what people remember really well ... so it might be worth holding out for a set that includes the box but is maybe missing a book (unless they drop their price).

Edited to add that the books can often be bought individually if you are looking for a nice display piece (see below for a quick example, that is a best-offer listing, so maybe start with an offer of $55 or $60...

** eBay auction listing blocked.  Please enable cookies in your browser for this site and for eBay! **

Let's go fly a kite
Up to the highest height!

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Jan 22, 2024 8:28 am 

LevBronstein wrote in White Box Books:Thanks, all, for the quick replies.  Very helpful.  The set I was looking at are sixth printings (the ask, if you're curious, is $CD550 for the books from the set + a 9th print of Greyhawk and a 5th print of Swords and Spells).

LB

That sounds pretty a bit high compared to this with a box...  1.34 to 1.00 USD right?

idk anymore. Prices are all over.

Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jan 22, 2024 6:56 pm 

Thanks again, all.  Yeah, I figured the price was likely too high (even at discounted 74-cents-on-the-dollar cdn bucks), but it wasn't clear to me how much of the value was wrapped up in the set as a complete set.

LB

Sage Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Tue Jan 23, 2024 10:04 am 

LevBronstein wrote in White Box Books:Thanks again, all.  

LB

You are very welcome - one of the things about the Acaeum is that I have always found it very helpful, regardless of whether you are just thinking about buying an early Dragon mag or module, or have a room full of rares, the people here are always happy to pitch in with advice (as they did when I started posting) :)

Let's go fly a kite
Up to the highest height!