Book Cleaning
Author

Active Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Jan 06, 2024 11:27 am 

Please redirect me if this topic has already been discussed but I’m looking for insight whether to try and clean my AD&D books. If someone has tried with success, I’d love to hear some good tips.

Sage Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sat Jan 06, 2024 1:26 pm 

Yes, you can do so, but be prepared to make some mistakes.  Sometimes it's better to leave them alone, unless you aren't concerned about the potential to damage it further, or the area to be cleaned is low-risk.

There are different techniques, depending on what type of books or boxed sets you are trying to clean.  A lot of the techniques are similar, if not identical, to those used for other books, boxes, and comics.  These techniques are widely available on the Internet and there are some excellent videos on YouTube.  I'll post some links later, if no one else does so beforehand.

Here's a recent post that discusses the cleaning of SW:

D&D Basic Set (7th ??) in Shrink-wrap

This technique would apply to anything in SW.

Some additional Acaeum threads on the topic:

Clean & Resto

Any suggestions for cleaning the hardcover AD&D books?

Questions about my OD&D books

There could be other posts.  You can try the search function, or perhaps others will provide some input.

If any of the books are valuable, you could always consider a professional cleaning service.

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sat Jan 06, 2024 4:17 pm 

Just my two cp's with what I do...

Generally, I will try to dust wipe anything I bag.  I have watched  comic cleaning videos on YouTube where they are an excellent source of what to use and not use.  I have practiced on some doubles to see what can be achieved with mixed results.  Cheetos stains are not coming out no matter what you do.   :D   Unless it is something extremely easy, like pencil marks, I leave it alone.  

With SW items, I take a very lightly moistened (if you can squeeze water out of it, it is too wet) soft towel and just wipe it down, avoiding any air holes or rips.  Amazing what comes off with a little care.  I then let it air dry for a day or two before bagging.  

With hard backs, I will wipe them down to get rid of dust and crap that has accumulated on it while sitting on a bookshelf before bagging it.

I think the old stuff was done right, where TSR's early books were high quality and durable.  I don't consider the Unearthed Arcana early, but what the heck happened to that book?  

-SKA

Active Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Jan 07, 2024 5:23 pm 

Thank you Gents! This was very helpful and what I was hoping to hear back. Much homework still on this but hope to give it a go eventually.