storage...ugh
Author

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Tue Dec 19, 2023 12:34 pm 

On my first go around with collecting, i started storing modules, magazines and other "thin" items in containers like this:

Attachment:
Storage outside.jpg

Attachment:
Storage inside.jpg

They hold roughly 30 to 40 items and are extremely durable and protective. I have 13 of these now.  The one shown above was the first one I purchased back in the mid 90s.  I have recently found myself needing more space for storage.  Bookshelves would be ideal but are not part of the equation yet so I was looking at alternatives to these file folder holders. Don't get me wrong, I will gladly keep using them and add more, but are people using something better? I was thinking maybe a metal file drawer like the kind you see in a Dr office that are 4 or 5 feet wide and are 2 or 3 drawers high.  Curious what you all are using...

-SKA

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Dec 19, 2023 1:36 pm 

Spine up or spine down?
I’m curious is there is a sag or bow in the modules with long term storage?

This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Tue Dec 19, 2023 1:47 pm 

mbassoc2003 wrote in storage...ugh:Spine up or spine down?
I’m curious is there is a sag or bow in the modules with long term storage?

They are all bagged and boarded and i have never experienced any sagging at all.  They are placed in the folder spine down.  I have replaced all the poly bags twice... I am slowly moving to Mylar ones.

-SKA

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Dec 19, 2023 3:07 pm 

Bagged/boarded in a custom cupboard that I really like looking at.

The nice bit was having it so the internal shelves could be adjusted.

I guess its not the greatest way to hold things but I get more out of enjoyment/being able to pull them off the shelf in a relatively frequented room than I would hidden away (as they were previously).

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Tue Dec 19, 2023 3:13 pm 

Sir Kill Alot wrote in storage...ugh:I was thinking maybe a metal file drawer like the kind you see in a Dr office that are 4 or 5 feet wide and are 2 or 3 drawers high.

Those tend to knock the papers around inside the folders, since they require some force of movement to use. Sometimes, jostling the folder breaks it apart from its metal hangar, thus causing the contents to become crumpled up & caught underneath the other folders. In order to prevent the drawers from tipping over, these often do not extend all the way out. It might force you to brush your hand against the tops of the files to reach all the way back, perhaps bending the files in the process. A doctor might walk by your files & start placing colored stickers & writing scribbled notes all over your fragile collectibles. All kinds of things.

Sage Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Tue Dec 19, 2023 6:31 pm 

I have 4-drawer lateral file cabinets that work very well.  They are 42" wide.  They can store a tremendous about of books, but they can be expensive, and do take up a lot of wall space.

I also have a lot of my books that are in storage on racks and shelves in magazine sized cardboard storage/filing boxes.  The latter are quite nice because the contents are rather snug, thus preventing sagging or warpage.  Even SW items that are prone to shrinkage don't have issues when bagged/boarded and stored this way.

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Tue Dec 19, 2023 7:26 pm 

dbartman wrote in storage...ugh:I have 4-drawer lateral file cabinets that work very well.  They are 42" wide.  They can store a tremendous about of books, but they can be expensive, and do take up a lot of wall space.

I also have a lot of my books that are in storage on racks and shelves in magazine sized cardboard storage/filing boxes.  The latter are quite nice because the contents are rather snug, thus preventing sagging or warpage.  Even SW items that are prone to shrinkage don't have issues when bagged/boarded and stored this way.

I have been looking at either a 3 or 4 drawer one as well.  Yes very expensive as you mentioned.., here is an example of a 3 drawer model:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/3-Drawer-Bl ... /326539412

I was calculating I need roughly 120 inches of storage space to hold the thin books I have now.  That means i will need to go with a 4 drawer (42 inch wide) model for future growth which  is in the $600+ range.   :(   The $23 option for file tub #14 is all of a sudden looking much better.

I do like the ability of locking everything up.  The one con, besides price, is that it is not very portable.

-SKA

Sage Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Tue Dec 19, 2023 8:01 pm 

I do like the ability of locking everything up.  The one con, besides price, is that it is not very portable.

No they are not, but it would be easy to access the contents.

You could purchase 24" deep metal racks or build wooden shelves that are the same depth instead.  They are considerably less expensing, and they will hold a lot of 15-18" deep storage boxes.

Something like these:

amazon.com/REIBII-Shelving-2500LBS-Adju ... 77-2950438

homedepot.com/p/Muscle-Rack-5-Tier-Heav ... /305553565

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Tue Dec 19, 2023 8:44 pm 

Thanks Doug for the suggestions.  Much appreciated.

-SKA

Active Collector

Post Posted: Thu Dec 21, 2023 11:02 am 

For mylars I highly recommend egerber.com.

About 1/2 the price of Bill Cole for the same product.

They are a bit "old school" and you have to call to place an order.

For modules I recommend the magazine bags: 900M2
For thicker books I like the "sheet music" bags: 950M2

They also have Fullbacks, which are acid free thick backing boards.

This is the one I prefer for both bags: 858FB

If you buy in bulk the prices are very reasonable and WAY lower than you can find on amazon or ebay.

Last edited by dosselmeyer on Fri Dec 22, 2023 10:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Thu Dec 21, 2023 8:51 pm 

Thanks dosselmeyer, I've booked marked their site.

-SKA