Software Upgrade
Author

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Oct 25, 2023 8:22 pm 

Let me know when it's fixed, and I'll remove all the script above.

Best,

Paul

Even a stopped clock tells the right time twice a day, and for once I'm inclined to believe...we are indeed drifting into the arena of the unwell.

Site Admin

Post Posted: Fri Oct 27, 2023 12:52 am 

Should be fixed now!

Foul

Long-Winded Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sat Oct 28, 2023 1:51 am 

Hi Scott while posting my previous message (in the interesting items thread here) i got some weird rows similar to those reported here above... now that i am writing this post they are not present, sorry i'd have copied those...

Sage Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sat Oct 28, 2023 12:54 pm 

I had a similar experience.  There are several warnings at the top of the page when posting:

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_aur.php on line 67: Attempt to read property "ConvertedTransactionPrice" on null
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_aur.php on line 69: Attempt to read property "BestOfferSale" on null
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_aur.php on line 73: Attempt to read property "TransactionPrice" on null
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_aur.php on line 67: Attempt to read property "ConvertedTransactionPrice" on null
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_aur.php on line 69: Attempt to read property "BestOfferSale" on null
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_aur.php on line 73: Attempt to read property "TransactionPrice" on null

Looks like some properties are missing/null.  These don't seem to cause any obvious issues, and only happen occasionally.

Site Admin

Post Posted: Sat Oct 28, 2023 1:51 pm 

Yep, keep sending these, and I'll keep squashing.  They're occurring because I didn't declare most variables in the beginning of my code.  Declaring variables is somewhat standard practice, but I always considered it a waste of time and "code bloat":
Code:
 $a = $b = $c = $d = $e = $f = $g = $h = "" 
 ... ad infinitum.  Easy to do when you only have eight variables; a big waste of time and space when you have a thousand.  Up until now, PHP agreed with me.

Foul

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sat Oct 28, 2023 2:08 pm 

Maybe an array of strings would be easier?  At least with the initialization part.  Not knowing what the site code looks like, it would probably be a beast to change it to support the array data type.

-SKA

Site Admin

Post Posted: Sat Oct 28, 2023 6:21 pm 

Yeah, there's no shortcut at this point other than initializing a million variables.  It's actually probably about a hundred, as the majority of the variables were correctly set in the course of doing business.  I just never saw the point of setting variables to an empty string before trying to check them:

Code:
if ( $name == "FoulFoot" )

... now throws an error if I didn't previously declare $name equal to something, whereas previously, it would just see that $name doesn't equal anything (since it doesn't exist) and so appropriately return false.  It's just a lot of unnecessary bloat to either declare a million variables up front (and hope you don't forget to add one to an increasingly large block of code), or else check to see if the variable is set first:

Code:
if ( isset($name) && $name == "FoulFoot" )

Working with arrays isn't any better, and it's actually a majority of the problems at this point:

Code:
if ( $name[3] == "FoulFoot" )

... throws a big old error, too, if the third element was not set.  Declaring $name = array() up front wouldn't save you.

PHP is a bit of a mess overall, IMHO, but rather than address the big issues, they continue to screw around with things like this.  :/

Foul

Previous