DnD Comics
Author

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Oct 14, 2023 11:06 am 

Anyone else into the DnD comics? I cant recall a thread about them.

I noticed they were being graded and sold over the last year. I could be wrong, but it seems to be over the last year or so.

I am sure its a mix of DnD collectors and comic collectors who have no interest in the game, but I am guessing its more of the later. I would rather skim through a monster manual or listen to Dragons of Autumn Twilight again.

I bought a raw #1 of each in good enough condition to display years ago, but never thought of them like other comics. They were just part of the completion-ist part of collecting DnD.

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Oct 14, 2023 11:48 am 

I owned a complete run of the Dragonlance comics, read them, and decided to sell them a decade or so back.  Frankly, they weren't that good.  The art was good enough, but the stories or characters weren't compelling. The only good news was that ended up making money on the sale.  8)

Truth is worth finding and life is too short to work for money.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Mon Oct 16, 2023 10:18 am 

They are typically dollar bin fodder. Dragonlance #1 had some heat about 6 months ago with the announcement of the Joe Manganiello DL project.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Mon Oct 16, 2023 10:45 am 

Which comics are you talking about? The ones from DC Comics in the 80s/90s? Like Advanced Dungeons & Dragons, Dragonlance, Forgotten Realms, SpellJammer? The AD&D and Dragonlance titles were ok

Now, IDW has some really good comics if you ask me. The Drizzt ones are really good. Eberon is ok and Baldur's Gate is good.

Back in the 80s during the B&W comic craze their was a title called 'The Adventurers' published by Aircel & Adventure comics that was really good. At least I though so

Collector

Post Posted: Mon Oct 16, 2023 11:05 am 

I have complete runs of the original AD&D, Dragonlance, and Forgotten Realms series, with #1 of AD&D and Dragonlance slabbed and graded CGC 9.8.  At the time I bought most of them I was trying to cull my comic collection to clear out the 90% I didn’t really care about, but I ended up completing these because they are D&D (not because I think they are particularly good).

Incidentally, looking back at some early 1990s Wolverine issues, I noticed that quite a few of them have full page TSR ads on the back cover.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Oct 16, 2023 12:25 pm 

I loved the DC runs of TSR properties.  Forgotten Realms and Spelljammer were my favorites.  While post-TSR, the Kenzer Co. publications were the best D&D comic adaptations (in my opinion)