The Hunt!
Author

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Oct 13, 2023 12:02 pm 

How often do you search for collectable items?

I only ask because I hit my one-millionth ebay search today. (Estimated :) ) Its basically the only place I hunt.

2016-2017 I felt like a searched compulsively on ebay. Less and less later, but still fairly consistently in the early morning, lunch and end of day. Its largely a early weekend morning thing where I check a lot of saved searches now.

Ive only been to 4 or 5 estate sales in that time. Two that had DnD items. At one they were all priced too high. The other was a feeding frenzy over lego, star wars stuff etc - and I dont like crowds like that. A guy grabbed at a DM guide I was reaching for and I was out.

I think I have checked all the sold listings every night since 2017. I got some great pick-ups early, they so much more rare now.

I dont do facebook, or any social media outside of reddit and this board. But looking for items is still a daily thing for me.

Anyone else a consistent hunter, especially any lurkers out here?

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Oct 13, 2023 12:56 pm 

Definitely.  I’ve been scouring eBay since 2001, lol (with a lull between 2005-2012).  But a few years ago I’ve also gotten into Facebook groups and any other online auction sites that I can find.

Personally, I prefer garage sales, used book stores, etc…, as I think that’s a lot more fun (from a hunt perspective).  Since I’m in the “ultra rare” mode as far as my RPG collection goes, local places have become much less fruitful.  This is why I’ve recently started collecting vinyl records.  For music, I’ve set a rule for myself to only search and purchase locally.  That definitely scratches the hunt “itch”, lol

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Fri Oct 13, 2023 7:10 pm 

I’ve slowed down considerably but have 26 saved eBay searches that dump results into my gmail every morning.  I like it because it tells you how many are ‘new’ from the day before.  I do searches from the Acaeum from time to time as well. Not to give secrets away  :roll: but I search international eBay sites too… I’ve bought some great stuff from Germany.  Just have to be patient with the time it takes for shipping.

I’ve started watching The Dragons Trove videos of collections they purchase.  If I see something I want, I would ping him before he even puts it up for sale.

https://m.youtube.com/@TheDragonsTrove/videos

-SKA

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Fri Oct 13, 2023 9:29 pm 

Sir Kill Alot wrote in The Hunt!:I’ve slowed down considerably but have 26 saved eBay searches that dump results into my gmail every morning.

I've done that in the past, but get caught up in the fine-tuning. If I save dozens of searches, it becomes too much to filter through in a timely fashion. So I narrow it down with Ebay's search options: "exact wording in quotes" (plus either this term,or this other term in parentheses). Ebay's search engine quickly becomes overloaded, & doesn't deliver the same results as it does when I search for each combination of terms individually.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Fri Oct 13, 2023 10:02 pm 

Estate sale this weekend in my state (4 hours away so I didn't go) I never ever ever see this type of collections. Aside from these pictures they had tables of unopened legos, tables of Nintendo, Playstation, Sega systems and games (multiples), Tons of Big Box PC Games, Sealed in Packages 80s wrestling toys, on and on

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Fri Oct 13, 2023 10:24 pm 

sauromatian wrote in The Hunt!:
I've done that in the past, but get caught up in the fine-tuning. If I save dozens of searches, it becomes too much to filter through in a timely fashion. So I narrow it down with Ebay's search options: "exact wording in quotes" (plus either this term,or this other term in parentheses). Ebay's search engine quickly becomes overloaded, & doesn't deliver the same results as it does when I search for each combination of terms individually.

Yes, this is very true…I have a bunch of searches that cast very wide nets… with regards to the emails if I don’t see the word NEW in the preview, I tend to skip over it… example below

Attachment:
Gmail.png

-SKA

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Oct 13, 2023 10:46 pm 

Sir Kill Alot wrote in The Hunt!:
Yes, this is very true…I have a bunch of searches that cast very wide nets… with regards to the emails if I don’t see the word NEW in the preview, I tend to skip over it… example below

Attachment:
Gmail.png

-SKA

I may add some of these searches. I have only used "Dungeons and Dragons" and " D&D" but sometimes I see sold listings that didnt pop up as newly listed.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Oct 13, 2023 10:49 pm 

MegaTherion wrote in The Hunt!:Estate sale this weekend in my state (4 hours away so I didn't go) I never ever ever see this type of collections. Aside from these pictures they had tables of unopened legos, tables of Nintendo, Playstation, Sega systems and games (multiples), Tons of Big Box PC Games, Sealed in Packages 80s wrestling toys, on and on

Someone is going to be happy to stumble into this.

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Sat Oct 14, 2023 1:59 am 

Tszii wrote in The Hunt!:How often do you search for collectable items?

Many of my searches start in a specific collectible category, but end up in a maze of rabbit holes & off-topic results. A recent search for the name of a nearby town led me to an Argentinian sports car with the same name, which led me to another Argentinian sports car:

** eBay auction listing blocked.  Please enable cookies in your browser for this site and for eBay! **

How are you supposed to roll down the windows?!!!

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Oct 14, 2023 11:50 am 

sauromatian wrote in The Hunt!:
How are you supposed to roll down the windows?!!!

You don't.  You're going so fast, it messes up your hair (unless you have no hair)!    :P

Truth is worth finding and life is too short to work for money.

Sage Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Oct 18, 2023 12:55 am 

I rarely buy things these days as work owns me. I still work internationally, and my books and RPGs wait patiently in storage dreaming of the day when I set up my library / man cave and they can proudly take their place upon floor to ceiling shelves to show off their beauty.

I’ve had a series of rare saved searches filling my gmail inbox probably for a decade now. Looking at them each morning when I am not travelling serves no purpose really. It is just a routine in which I seek comfort.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Nov 24, 2023 11:29 pm 

In case anyone has been hunting. Box has some spots, booklets look nice.

** eBay auction listing blocked.  Please enable cookies in your browser for this site and for eBay! **