Fanzine Enthusiasts
Author

Collector

Post Posted: Thu Sep 14, 2023 8:33 pm 

My collecting journey has introduced me to fanzines and I'm just fascinated to read vintage fanzines from the 1970s and 80s.  It's a real niche and most D&D collectors don't seem to be that interested in fanzines, but I'm hoping that given the membership of this group, if there is any place I'll find a few kindred spirits, that's probably going to be here.

I've been building a collection for a while, but these things sure are hard to find -- and it's even harder to learn much about them.  After reaching out to a couple members of the community, I'm hoping I can find some more folks who might be interested in helping me out:  (A) if you have copies of fanzines, please post here and let me know what's in your collection, which ones do you really like, and maybe tell me about some rare ones I've never heard of before; and (B) if you are of a mind to do so, I welcome anyone's help to build my collection.  I'm glad to buy.  I'll trade.  I'll even do a lend/lease or library check out program if that's what you prefer.

This site and its community inspired me to share my enthusiasm and I've been making weekly videos on a YouTube channel for the past year so more folks can learn about these.  A lot of people can't afford the time or money to build a collection of something like this, but they are probably interested in learning more about them.  My hope is this can be a way to preserve some of the history that is revealed in the pages of these fanzines.  So, anything you can do to help me, I'll definitely be doing what I can to give back to the community and our hobby.

Keep rollin' 20s, my friends....

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Thu Sep 14, 2023 9:50 pm 

Are you familiar with this seller?
** eBay auction listing blocked.  Please enable cookies in your browser for this site and for eBay! **

Very affordable, if you can stand to sort through all the slash...

Collector

Post Posted: Thu Sep 14, 2023 9:55 pm 

Oh, I have eBay alerts set for everything and word combination I can think of, and spend a few minutes running through them every day.

Long-Winded Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Fri Sep 15, 2023 12:25 am 

Hi, i have a spread number of titles and issues... never had the chance to complete any of the print runs... sooner or later i have to make my mind up about these...
If you are interested in my list you can send me a PM!
3 more details:
1. I am not in the US
2. I am in touch with another EU zine collector who is still very active
3. You'd better get in touch with Brette who is the 'lord of the zines' here as well as Joe Nutall who is running a very interesting recovery program from old zines!

Ciaoo

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Sep 15, 2023 8:05 am 

I've seen your YouTube channel (at least I assume it's the same one) - good work.

I have an odd smattering of not-very-rare fanzines, but I do have a full set of Demons Drawl / Telegraph Road and a nearly complete second set (missing one issue I think). That was a UK fanzine my brother ran.

As Aia mentioned, I have anonline list of all D&D scenarios published in the 1970s I'm still on the lookout for any more 70s fanzines which contained scenarios (by which I include maps or solitaire rules or the like) which are missing from my list.

The ones I know I'm missing are The Apprentice #6 (The Volcanic Vaults of Vahrnok), and I believe #1 of The Wizard from 1977 by The Dragon Seekers (Jordan Weisman and Jacob Farber) contained a small introductory dungeon.

I've also been republishing a number of old scenarios on my blog (where I tracked down the author and they agreed to it), a couple of which are from fanzines.

Collector

Post Posted: Fri Sep 15, 2023 10:13 am 

I am always looking for trades. I don't sell in fear someday I would need it for a trade!

Here is my list of wants/haves:

WANTS

Demon Issue/Pandemonium (any issues with T&T content except 14-17 and 21)
Grim Reaper issues 1 and 2
Orc Torc issue 1
Raven issue 2
Sorcerer’s Apprentice (issues 30-36, if T&T content)
Sorcerer’s Scrolls issues 1, 6-10, 12-15, 17-18, 22, 35-36, 38- ? (don't need the modern/POD ones that start at 42 or maybe lower)
TnT Zine issues 1-8
Trollish Tribune issues 1, 2 and 4
TTYF (lower priority but any issue with T&T content except 59-63)

Other Fanzines rumored to exist with T&T content (but only want if they have actual T&T content):
Blood, Guts, & Beer
Demons Drawl
Doomed Dwarves Journal 1 or 2, whichever has the first part of “Get the Princess” (horrible “dungeon” but collector's gotta collect)
Grimtooth’s Friends
Tempestuous Orifice

AVAILABLE FOR TRADE

The Beholder issues 2, 3 and 5
The Chronicles of Chaos issues 5 (no cover) and 6 and 7
Doomed Dwarves Journal issue 3
Dragon Lords issues 1-4, 9-11, 13-22
Pandemonium issues 14 and 21
Quasits & Quasars issues 3, 4, 8, 9 and 10
Runes & Digits issues 1-3
Sorcerer’s Apprentice March ’87 and # 29
The Sorcerer’s Scrolls issues 20, 21, 24, 27, 28, 31 and 37
TnT issues 9, 13, 15/16, 17/18, 24 and 25/26, 29-32
Tunnel Talk 1-2
Twibbit 13 issue 1
Underworld Oracle issue 5

Active Collector

Post Posted: Fri Sep 15, 2023 10:00 pm 

I have always enjoyed fanzines. Ever since I read an Alarums & Excursions at my cousin's house wayyy back in 82.

Not just Gaming ones but anything Star Trek/Wars, Comic Book Related, Sci-Fi/Movie related.

Always thought they were so cool

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Mon Sep 18, 2023 8:55 pm 

Fanzines resources at the Tome of Treasures:
- Fanzines and Slicks
- Tome of Treasures :: Index

And Brette’s Ariel Archives:  Ariel Archives Online

And some additional discussion here:
- Has anyone compiled definitive bibliography of fanzine publi • Collecting General •  The Acaeum

Allan.

Allan Grohe ([email protected])
Greyhawk, grodog Style

Editor and Project Manager, Black Blade Publishing
https://www.facebook.com/BlackBladePublishing/

Collector

Post Posted: Fri Sep 22, 2023 12:44 pm 

JoeNuttall wrote in Fanzine Enthusiasts:I've seen your YouTube channel (at least I assume it's the same one) - good work.

I have an odd smattering of not-very-rare fanzines, but I do have a full set of Demons Drawl / Telegraph Road and a nearly complete second set (missing one issue I think). That was a UK fanzine my brother ran.

As Aia mentioned, I have anonline list of all D&D scenarios published in the 1970s I'm still on the lookout for any more 70s fanzines which contained scenarios (by which I include maps or solitaire rules or the like) which are missing from my list.

The ones I know I'm missing are The Apprentice #6 (The Volcanic Vaults of Vahrnok), and I believe #1 of The Wizard from 1977 by The Dragon Seekers (Jordan Weisman and Jacob Farber) contained a small introductory dungeon.

I've also been republishing a number of old scenarios on my blog (where I tracked down the author and they agreed to it), a couple of which are from fanzines.

Joe

Yes that's me.  Glad you like the videos.  

I'm doing a video on The Apprentice #6 in a couple of weeks, so I'll share that adventure when I pull that fanzine out.  If you see me mention any other scenario (a lot of them did have those) you'd be interested in for the blog, just let me know.

I haven't read through Demons Drawl yet but I have most of those (missing 2 or 3 I think).  Did that one just go to #15?  That's the last one I have.

I'd be interested if you want to shoot me a list of fanzines you might be willing to trade/part with.  I have several extras/duplicates and I'd be glad to send some your way.  I haven't heard of The Wizard before.

Collector

Post Posted: Fri Sep 22, 2023 12:54 pm 

MegaTherion wrote in Fanzine Enthusiasts:I have always enjoyed fanzines. Ever since I read an Alarums & Excursions at my cousin's house wayyy back in 82.

Not just Gaming ones but anything Star Trek/Wars, Comic Book Related, Sci-Fi/Movie related.

Always thought they were so cool

I agree 100% ... I think they are like little snap shots of different gaming groups and different time periods in the earlier days of the hobby.  You can see this commonality in what people came up with (like background charts and skills tables to use in character creation and ways to improve D&D's spell system) as well as this depth of creativity around monsters, magic items and adventures.  

I didn't realize til I was reading Jon Peterson's latest book, The Elusive Shift, how you could pull out these different ideas and sort of categorize theories about what role playing was, how the DM and players should play etc.  We're still having that same debate about player agency and DM as storyteller versus guide in a story created by the players, dungeon delving combat and treasure accumulation versus intensive role playing and character development ... reading Jon's book you can see that's not a new 5e vs. 1e debate -- that existed before 1e AD&D had even been written.

Anyway, I love fanzines and encourage other people to enjoy them too.

Last edited by AZMountaineer on Fri Sep 22, 2023 8:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Sep 22, 2023 2:20 pm 

Yeah definitely I'm a fan. I mean, in a sense, they are one of the worst and most contemptible research media to work with, nothing but trouble. But the rewards make them worth it. There's just nothing like 'em.

Author of Playing at the World, The Elusive Shift, Game Wizards co-author of D&D Art & Arcana and Heroes's Feast

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun Sep 24, 2023 7:00 am 

AZMountaineer wrote in Fanzine Enthusiasts:Yes that's me.  Glad you like the videos.  

I'm doing a video on The Apprentice #6 in a couple of weeks, so I'll share that adventure when I pull that fanzine out.  If you see me mention any other scenario (a lot of them did have those) you'd be interested in for the blog, just let me know.

That would be great - thanks.

I hadn't spotted you'd started doing The Apprentice. I love the insanity of the adventures in that Fanzine - not sure how playable some of them are (The encounters in The Sanctuary of the Setians in #3 are mostly insta-kill) but the madness of a Giant Pigeon themed adventure was great. Gary Gygax appeared to be fighting a battle to keep D&D serious, and to my mind that was a strong motivation for why he started publishing his adventures - to set the tone.

I think of the zines you've shown so far that'll be the first from the 70's with a scenario in it I've not seen.

AZMountaineer wrote in Fanzine Enthusiasts:I haven't read through Demons Drawl yet but I have most of those (missing 2 or 3 I think).  Did that one just go to #15?  That's the last one I have.

After issue #15 it changed name to Telegraph Road and continued to issue #26 (for the last issue it is named Terri - its nickname). I think it's rarer after the name change as that's when it stopped being distributed to shops and became subscriber only. In total it ran from July 1983 - Nov 1987. There was a postal gaming supplement for some issues, and two publications - "Karush" - background for the magazine's PBM campaign, and Galadran Supplement (which collects all the Galadran material from issues 1-15 of Demons Drawl).

After that there was "Issue" which ran to 11 issues and June '91 (or at least that's where my copies end) which is a different beast - it contains a PBM "interactive fiction" game each issue but is mostly about Christianity - but the first issue has an article Terri #27. This isn't an extra issue but a history of the fanzine Demons Drawl / Telegraph Road / Terri and why it changed names halfway through and why it ended.

AZMountaineer wrote in Fanzine Enthusiasts:I'd be interested if you want to shoot me a list of fanzines you might be willing to trade/part with.  I have several extras/duplicates and I'd be glad to send some your way.  I haven't heard of The Wizard before.

Will do :-)

The first issue of The Wizard can be seen here:
rpggeek.com/rpgissue/195298/wizard-vol- ... 1-feb-1977
And there are some notes on issues 3 & 4 here:
grodog.blogspot.com/2020/11/an-index-of ... kofka.html