Artist help
Author

Collector

Post Posted: Sun Mar 20, 2005 12:18 am 

Hi folks,

I own a game store and have a customer who's trying to track down a picture he saw a number of years ago from D&D.  His recollection is a bit sketchy but this forum was suggested to me as a place that might be able to provide an answer.

The image in question was seen by him about 10 years ago in an art style book of D&D images.  Or at least, he remembers it having a TSR logo.  :-)

The image itself is of a wizard sitting on a throne with his left hand on an orb of some sort.  It involved a skull shape of some sort done in iron he thought and he also thought it was glowing and/or had red lightning coming from it.  He also thinks that there might be a dragon looming or perched in the background.

Does this happen to ring any bells with anyone?  Specifically the person would like to know of any printings that the image was in and/or the artist who did it.  Any help would be appreciated.   You can contact me here or via e-mail at [email protected]  

Thanks for your time!

Brian

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Mar 20, 2005 1:41 am 

this one maybe?

Page Not Found

just a guess

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun Mar 20, 2005 1:52 am 

Not sure about the picture, but I'll bet the book he saw it in is one of the ones from this page:

http://www.acaeum.com/DDIndexes/MiscPages/Art.html

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Sun Mar 20, 2005 2:08 am 

If I were a betting man I would have to put my money on that being the image he was describing. Is it Clyde Caldwell. You can see the iamge here ./proximage.php?url=http://www.aumania.it/fa/caldwell/075.jpg&mimeType=&length=. I will try linking to it directly.

Information Superhighway - A Rough Whimper of Insanity - Scott Hansen

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun Mar 20, 2005 3:41 pm 

I think you are all on the spot, as THAT was even I was thinking of.  :D

There are no bad editions of D&D, just Boring Players and Unimaginative DMs.

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Sun Mar 20, 2005 4:54 pm 

That image has always stirred my imagination more than any other I think. The mix of majesty and horror I think.

Information Superhighway - A Rough Whimper of Insanity - Scott Hansen

Collector

Post Posted: Mon Mar 21, 2005 4:13 am 

Thanks everyone!  I'll e-mail the guy the info and hopefully we've found a match!  I really appreciate the help!

Brian

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Mar 23, 2005 7:43 pm 

Just in case your patron is interested, last I heard that painting was in the hands of a collector who owns a bunch of earlier TSR stuff. It was for sale at one point in time, but that collector seems to be prone to SAYING things are for sale and then never actually responding to any offers. However, if need be, I'd be happy to pass along the contact info for the owner (privately). Figure on offering at least $2500-$3000 or so to have a shot at getting a response, though.

Pat

"Life is short, art is forever, and the credit card bills to buy the art last just slightly longer."

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Mar 23, 2005 7:49 pm 

tsrart wrote: However, if need be, I'd be happy to pass along the contact info for the owner (privately).

That'll be good to know for the future. :)

I love you .sig btw "Life is short, art is forever, and the credit card bills to buy the art last just slightly longer."  :lol:

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat Mar 26, 2005 2:56 am 

Thanks!

Sad, but true . . . . I comfort myself by thinking that Faust would have done the same thing if he'd ever seen an original Alan Lee painting for sale . . . .

Pat

"Life is short, art is forever, and the credit card bills to buy the art last just slightly longer."

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Mar 28, 2005 7:16 am 

tsrart wrote:Sad, but true . . . . I comfort myself by thinking that Faust would have done the same thing if he'd ever seen an original Alan Lee painting for sale . .

Many of us would make Faust look like an amatuer.   :oops:

:D

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Mar 28, 2005 4:14 pm 

"What avails a man to gain all the riches of the world if he have not a first print woodgrain box?"

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Mon Mar 28, 2005 4:30 pm 

tsrart wrote:"What avails a man to gain all the riches of the world if he have not a first print woodgrain box?"

Hey, don't forget a 1st Chainmail and black folder PotVQ to go with that... ;) :P

(good to see ya around and posting again the past month or two, btw, Pat! :))

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Mar 28, 2005 4:39 pm 

tsrart wrote:"What avails a man to gain all the riches of the world if he have not a first print woodgrain box?"

What drives a man to irrational spending??

A Woodgrain Box

:wink:

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Mon Mar 28, 2005 4:46 pm 

MrFilthyIke wrote:

What drives a man to irrational spending??
A Woodgrain Box
:wink:

Just so long as it's not a "recycled" Tractics one! :lol:

(I was only joking about that; honest!)

Hrmm... and maybe I'd put ST1 at the top of that (irrationality) list; but that's another story. ymmv :P

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Apr 01, 2005 2:29 pm 

Hey, thanks Harami - it's nice to be missed!

"Irrational" spending, of course, is a subjective matter . . . . if I compare the amount of money I spend on art with the amount of money I'd have to spend on therapy to stop collecting art, it's really probably rather a bargain . . . . :D

It is funny, though, how dollar cost systems get split into two very seperate and distinct camps when you're a collector. I can spend $2k on a painting and be ecstatic about the super bargain I got and how cheap it was, but I'll bitch for an hour if I find out that I have to spend $200 on tires for my car . . . .