Demihumans of the Realms
Author

Collector

Post Posted: Mon Sep 11, 2023 8:41 pm 

Hi all. New here on the forums but I've been visiting the site for a few years now.
I have a question about a 2nd edition book - the Forgotten Realms Demihumans of the Realms book. I won it on ebay and when it arrived I was shocked! This books is NOTHING like the other leatherette books. The cover is super glossy, the "gold leaf" feels and looks like its under the gloss, the cover itself feels thin and cheap compared to other books in the series. The big thing is on the back cover the book description is NOT a sticker like the other leatherette books, there isn't even an indent for it. I thought I had been sold a fake.
However, every picture I see online that shows the back cover doesn't look like it has an indent for a sticker. Also the barcode on mine matches the photos I see online. The text and artwork inside looks good, not that washed out, kinda faded look PODs sometimes have.

Can someone help me out? Did TSR start to cut costs when they made this book? Did I get sold a fake? If you have a copy of this book and can confirm that it either should feel like all the other leatherette books OR confirm that it generally feels cheaper and had a glossy cover please let me know.
Thanks and sorry if this has been asked here before. I did a search and couldn't find the answer that way.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Sep 11, 2023 11:50 pm 

I am fairly sure you have an original copy. DrivethruRPG only has a watermarked PDF, no softcover reprints. You will have an original copy if you see the letters "EAN" and prices for the US and CA around the bar code. I could be wrong. I am always learning. And there may be fantastic fakes one day, but I thinks folks with the resources would bother to fake far more expensive, or rare items. You should be good!

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Tue Sep 12, 2023 8:40 am 

You have an original. Just checked mine and it is as described.

ShaneG.

I reject your reality and substitute my own

Collector

Post Posted: Wed Sep 13, 2023 5:26 pm 

Thanks for the info. I did a bit of research in other areas as well. I'm pretty sure this is an official product and not a fake. This was the last red leatherette splat book and was released in 1999 which was during the time of transition from TSR to WotC. I'm betting they cut costs and its production.