Palace of the Vampire Queen print sequence
Author

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 9:41 am 

Nice work, clarkie.

My "Rick Bauer" copy of the foldered version will be arriving soon.  Then I should be better able to  understand the subtleties of the map grids/printing issues.  :D

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 9:51 am 

afoolandhis$ wrote:Nice work, clarkie.

Thanks. :wink:

Last observation for now:  Morno seems to be one of two things as I have been trying to locate an origination of it.  First it could be a spanish surname as it seems to pop up a lot in Google searches that way, or it could be his fellow editors either weren't to fond of him or like to razz him as if you switch the last two letters of morno, you get MORON. 8O

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 2:31 pm 

afoolandhis$ wrote:My "Rick Bauer" copy of the foldered version will be arriving soon. Then I should be better able to understand the subtleties of the map grids/printing issues. :D

Ah... I thought that one would be settled "out of court". ;)

Did he actually say what he was hoping to get (re. the estimate), as opposed to what was paid?

Or (more importantly, IMO), whether he did buy that copy at GenCon (for $500) a couple of years ago.
Would be one less copy to account for and a useful indication on price/condition in that particular auction context, if so.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 2:51 pm 

Nice work bclarkie! :D  :D

This has to be our man. I also found on his web-page where he states he lived in Morro Bay, CA in the 70's i.e. the same city addressed in the Character Archaic.

:idea: Morno -- Morro :roll:  

I've e-mailed him a few starter questions and introduction as not to overwhelm him. If I get a response from him I'll dig a little deeper.

Again, Nice! :wink:

"Its either a wand to cast Bigby's Hand spells or a +3 backscratcher. We're not sure which."

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 4:18 pm 

harami2000 wrote:
Ah... I thought that one would be settled "out of court". ;)

Did he actually say what he was hoping to get (re. the estimate), as opposed to what was paid?

Or (more importantly, IMO), whether he did buy that copy at GenCon (for $500) a couple of years ago.
Would be one less copy to account for and a useful indication on price/condition in that particular auction context, if so.

No, I asked him after the auction how much I had missed the reserve by, and he just sent me a second-chance offer at my bid.  Probably paid a little too much, I know...

I'll ask him about GenCon.   :?

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 4:35 pm 

afoolandhis$ wrote:No, I asked him after the auction how much I had missed the reserve by, and he just sent me a second-chance offer at my bid. Probably paid a little too much, I know...

If another copy comes up "cheap", you know what to do!
(Not that I'd be expecting any black folder to go through at under $500, now, unless it's almost totally "hidden" or in rather poor condition).

afoolandhis$ wrote:I'll ask him about GenCon.  :?

Thank you.
Just seemed like a possible "link" to check at the time, given those auction realisations posted online.
He didn't reply whilst the auction was on (nor respond to the online pic hosting I'd set up for him, if he wanted that) and I didn't follow-up myself, since I was doing no more than helping nudge towards the reserve; stopping at the limit of my "comfort zone".

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 4:54 pm 

Wait a minute :idea:

From Brad's Web-site:

Quite a lot of my older work - both painted and digital - showed influences from ancient and medieval sources, especially the influence of celtic art.  I guess this came about from my reading a lot of history and mythology while I was young, when I was keenly interested in Irish matters because my two grandmothers were from Irish-American families.

From a Celtic translation page:

morno (monotonous, tepid, lukewarm, from mùirn, -e, affectionate joy, tenderness ?).

Morno is also apparently an old Irish surname associated with pioneers of the US.

Old family name :roll:

"Its either a wand to cast Bigby's Hand spells or a +3 backscratcher. We're not sure which."

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Apr 15, 2005 10:21 am 

Received the foldered PoVQ from Rick Bauer today.  It's got 24, single-sided white pages inside.  No yellow pages.  The only pages with scrollwork are the map sheets.  I see now what others have said about the grid background on the map sheets.  The Bella map sheets don't look like that, instead they look more like copies.   Have others detected a slight difference in the type of paper used for some of the encounter description pages?  Some of them seem almost slightly heavier grade paper.

As for condition, the pages inside seem mint, almost unhandled.  The folder does in fact lie flat, with only very slight up-curving of two corners.  There is, as described, a bit of fading to the bottom corner near the spine.

Image  Image Image

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Fri Apr 15, 2005 10:44 am 

congrats on the foldered one chummer....nice!

yeah my maps look like them there. if i get time tonight i will scan the same one and put it on here for comparison...prb won't get time but will sort it as soon as i can.

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Apr 15, 2005 10:50 am 

afoolandhis$ wrote:Received the foldered PoVQ from Rick Bauer today. It's got 24, single-sided white pages inside. No yellow pages.

No yellow pages? Is this yet another variation in the first printing? Seems as though there were many small print runs of the PoVQ 'first printing'.
Any chance of you putting up photos of the other pages? :D

This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Fri Apr 15, 2005 3:59 pm 

right guys, i have Ian's PVQ - its the folderless one, with the yellow cover sheet. i have scanned the same three pages that are scanned above, to give comparatives. look exactly the same to me. never used a scanner before so sorry if the pics are crap and the sizes are huge but i wanted it nice and clear if possible....so here you are...

dunno how you do them little pic things where you can enlarge on the hosting site, so will just do it the way i know:

like i said, sorry for the huge images...will try and learn to make the file sizes smaller n stuff....

hope this helps?

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Fri Apr 15, 2005 5:04 pm 

killjoy32 wrote:hope this helps?
Al

Hrmm... changing the subject: what's that little "crimp" mark at the middle of the top of each page?
Can't remember seeing any marks like that, whether from some sort of auto sheet feeder, or whatever.

*considers unwrapping the folder again...*

=

Try GIMP (free image processing program), if you need to scale pics and don't have any other such software to hand.
GIMP - Windows installers

Those sizes of images, above, are fine by me... Thanks, Al. :)

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Fri Apr 15, 2005 5:18 pm 

mbassoc2003 wrote:
afoolandhis$ wrote:Received the foldered PoVQ from Rick Bauer today. It's got 24, single-sided white pages inside. No yellow pages.

No yellow pages? Is this yet another variation in the first printing? Seems as though there were many small print runs of the PoVQ 'first printing'.
Any chance of you putting up photos of the other pages? :D

"Yellow or white" is already a listed variant.
(Although I'm not so sure about that "taped" copyright page on the black folder version. Would have to see that... ;))

*wonders whether a close-up of the shading/tones on the yellow intro page, compared with the white version, would help any...*
(or at least attempt to rule out one possibility).
No-one's posted that one, yet, I think.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Fri Apr 15, 2005 5:25 pm 

well tbh i REALLY don't wanna get it out of the wrapper again - gives me the jitters each time i do that  :?

i borrowed a HP scanner from work and they are pretty good - looking at the pics again, they are pretty damn sharp aint they? and tbh to the naked eye, i didnt even notice them little crimp things in the centre top of the pages before.

ian? did you notice them? anyone else seen them before on theirs?

thinking about it now, it WAS a good idea to do a full size pic like that - plenty of detail which is cool for comparing with the other stuff...

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Fri Apr 15, 2005 5:30 pm 

actually david, in addition to what was just said there...the "crimp" in the middle of the page... Amanda has just come in and i was just showing her the pics of the pages....she suggested that it might be some form of watermark on the page itself?

now i think about it i dont remember feeling anything there and quickly looking, you certainly cant see something (maybe if i REALLY looked i might)....so that might figure ....

what do you think?

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Apr 15, 2005 5:42 pm 

killjoy32 wrote:actually david, in addition to what was just said there...the "crimp" in the middle of the page... Amanda has just come in and i was just showing her the pics of the pages....she suggested that it might be some form of watermark on the page itself?

If I might interject, I don't think watermarks were possible in the 70's were they, especially from a small printing company. I figure watermarks would not have been established until much more sophisticated computers were around to do it, although as proven earlier today, I could be wrong. :?

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Fri Apr 15, 2005 5:50 pm 

bclarkie wrote:
killjoy32 wrote:actually david, in addition to what was just said there...the "crimp" in the middle of the page... Amanda has just come in and i was just showing her the pics of the pages....she suggested that it might be some form of watermark on the page itself?

If I might interject, I don't think watermarks were possible in the 70's were they, especially from a small printing company. I figure watermarks would not have been established until much more sophisticated computers were around to do it, although as proven earlier today, I could be wrong. :?

Watermarks are created by a mechanical process impressing a design onto the paper, either continuously onto the roll or at fixed position(s) on cut sheets.
Is possible to buy watermarked paper, but wouldn't expect a watermark to appear /just/ at the top of the page in such a consistent fashion.

Hence wondering whether that's a relic of some kinda page feeder (which admittedly would have the same impact on the paper to a degree, albeit when it is "dry").

Just seemed like something to look out for with regards printing process used, in addition to all the other apparent variations and possible variations...

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Apr 15, 2005 5:57 pm 

I don't remember the crimp mark at all, and I was pretty careful about scrutinising it when I got it from Burnie.

Could it be somthing in the paper itself that the scanner has picked up on?
Can you see anything with the naked eye?
Does it appear on the yellow cober sheet as well? Or just on the white sheets?

This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.

PreviousNext