Palace of the Vampire Queen print sequence
Post new topic Reply to topic Page 16 of 21123 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17 ... 192021
Author

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 1:27 pm 

tfm wrote:My black folder version of POTVQ has the white cover sheet, no yellow sheet, and the TSR distribution sheet (detached, but present).

Can you tell if it ever was attached; i.e., is there glue residue on the sheet or on the folder?

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 2:11 pm 

Deadlord36 wrote:Actually, considering that McDuff has Goodman Games' Haunted Lighthouse on his list, I think it is a strong bet that the website has indeed been updated. Whether or not it has, even 5 years ago those were pretty weak prices.

yeah they do look er a little duff dont they :D

Are we nearly there yet?

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 4:13 pm 

It's very hard to tell for sure.  The folder (inside top right) has some tiny, and I mean tiny, traces of something going across the top about an inch down.  I might be more inclined to say yes, it was glued, but there is no trace of any glue on the TSR distribution sheet whatsoever, at least at the 1x optical level.  If it's any help, the TSR distribution sheet was definitely printed on the same printer as the other sheets in the module--the toner lines confirm this.  In that regard, it's not an orphan.

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 5:20 pm 

tfm wrote:If it's any help, the TSR distribution sheet was definitely printed on the same printer as the other sheets in the module--the toner lines confirm this. In that regard, it's not an orphan.

Okay, valuable bit of information there; I was just going to ask you about that.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 8:09 pm 

Alright, I am betting TFM wins it this time around:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... %3AIT&rd=1

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 8:16 pm 

bclarkie wrote:Alright, I am betting TFM wins it this time around:

I'm just hoping it'll go away before I do something stupid and bid the mortgage payment on it.  Must...resist...PoVQ  :?

YIM  

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 8:18 pm 

deimos3428 wrote:
bclarkie wrote:Alright, I am betting TFM wins it this time around:

I'm just hoping it'll go away before I do something stupid and bid the mortgage payment on it. Must...resist...PoVQ :?

Its over. :) None other than a2jeff is the winner. :) He seems to be having a pretty nice run at this wee warriors stufff recently :wink:

Now can Frank hold off Jeff?

Game Design: Nonfiction | eBay

I am guessing no. :wink:

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 8:26 pm 

bclarkie wrote:Its over. :) None other than a2jeff is the winner. :) He seems to be having a pretty nice run at this wee warriors stufff recently :wink:

Heh. Read it here, first...

Yeah, I kinda guessed that was on the cards when Jeff didn't respond to my email. Congrats, anyhow. :?

I hope Pete's happy with the extra $10 (or $3.26, given that my max "fair offer" was going to be in the $750-800 range had he bothered to answer, as was promised).
eBay.com Item Bid History

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 8:29 pm 

harami2000 wrote:
bclarkie wrote:Its over. :) None other than a2jeff is the winner. :) He seems to be having a pretty nice run at this wee warriors stufff recently :wink:

Yeah, I kinda guessed that was on the cards when Jeff didn't respond to my email. Congrats, anyhow. :?

I hope Pete's happy with the extra $10 (or $3.26, given that my max "fair offer" was going to be in the $750-800 range had he bothered to answer, as was promised).

i was actually tempted there to throw in some bids, but then i already have one, so thats just being greedy really :)

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 8:29 pm 

harami2000 wrote:

Sorry David, I wasn't trying to rub salt in your wounds. :(  I actually figued that you were done with it coinsidering what happened the 1st time around.

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 8:40 pm 

bclarkie wrote:Sorry David, I wasn't trying to rub salt in your wounds. :( I actually figued that you were done with it coinsidering what happened the 1st time around.

No probs, Brian.

Nope, like I said, I wasn't going to let it go for less than the "fair offer" level at which I'd intended to do a deal with Pete, as proposed by him.

There was a strong temptation not to agree to void the previous sale and leave Pete with the eBay fees for that one, unless I won, but I decided that was probably being a bit petty and OK'd that yesterday. Not a single word of thanks or any other message from Pete. *shrugs*

Hey, whatever... Medical issues and suchlike, I know (:(), but courtesy and communication are a separate matter, especially when that's explicitly promised by the seller.
Nothing like putting your neck on the line to the tune of more than a month's salary, then getting messed around.

</vent>

OK, onwards...

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 8:51 pm 

...trying very hard to fight off that burnt-out feeling again...but heart-felt congrats anyway, Jeff.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 9:29 pm 

Thank you.   :)   I'll post findings on the contents when received.  David suggests identifying if the copyright/distribution sheet is present.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 9:30 pm 

I didn't have a huge interest in the GD Kit, but if it was going to go cheap, I figured I might as well pick it up.

If you hit a Rowsdower, you get to keep it.

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 9:41 pm 

a2jeff wrote:I'll post findings on the contents when received. David suggests identifying if the copyright/distribution sheet is present.

*repeats previous observation*

Well, if it was pulled in Feb 1976 (at/near shop-opening date), it really should be missing that sheet (dated June 1976).
If it's not, that's another piece of possible dating/sequence evidence from Pete that we'll just have to discard :( ...And, into the bargain, I get PMs from various angry people for "putting them off" bidding on a "complete" "1st (*cough*) print".

That comment from Pete about remembering adding the cover sheet at a later date, even though now in totally the wrong context for the previous-stated-hybrid, is still nagging at me.
Gut feeling has been suggesting what direction this is all headed in, but I wouldn't have wished to disagree with any statements made by Pete without adequate physical evidence. And there's still far from enough of that around to do so definitively :?

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 9:53 pm 

Thanks bc for your vote of confidence.  One thing I've learned about this game is that there always seems to be a next time.  Patience is my best friend when it comes to collecting (and being a dad).  It took me five years to get my Pharaoh, but I got it.  Personally, I measure rarity in terms of how hard it was to get something.  I waited to get a woodgrain and I did.  My Greyhawk Edition Woody only cost me $90, and I got it two months ago from an online bookstore.  Great deals are still to be had, and that's part of the fun.  It's also fun competing with like-minded souls.  I've cost a lot of people a lot of money over the years, but that's okay.  The reverse is also true.  The only thing that I don't like about it is the limited access to these materials caused by the high prices.  People who might otherwise be interested in Wee Warriors or early D&D or whatever are unable to pursue their interests because of the raw economics of collecting, and that is unacceptable.  These ideas really belong to everyone.  That is why my long-term goal is the establishment of a permanently funded  library/museum, where anyone can come and view/study these materials for free, and even check out some of the more-common items.  It would be great for people to be able to check out TTOEE and run it, or have a place they could come to to compare the various copies of POTVQ, or even place to play a rare like ST1 or TDG.  Ideas only exist in the activity of production, meaning a book unread is no book at all.  Think of the great fantasy art gracing the walls of private collectors, when it could be enriching the lives of many in a world that desperately needs enriching. We have (or should have) a tremendous responsibility to not fuck this up.  The Acaeum website is a wonderful outreach for people interested in D&D, but it is only a first step in something that could be far greater.  It may not be up to us to create the how and the when, but we do have a chance to do some things.  We should do them well.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Nov 02, 2005 1:05 am 

harami2000 wrote:
bclarkie wrote:Sorry David, I wasn't trying to rub salt in your wounds. :( I actually figued that you were done with it coinsidering what happened the 1st time around.

No probs, Brian.

Nope, like I said, I wasn't going to let it go for less than the "fair offer" level at which I'd intended to do a deal with Pete, as proposed by him.

There was a strong temptation not to agree to void the previous sale and leave Pete with the eBay fees for that one, unless I won, but I decided that was probably being a bit petty and OK'd that yesterday. Not a single word of thanks or any other message from Pete. *shrugs*

Hey, whatever... Medical issues and suchlike, I know (:(), but courtesy and communication are a separate matter, especially when that's explicitly promised by the seller.
Nothing like putting your neck on the line to the tune of more than a month's salary, then getting messed around.

</vent>

OK, onwards...

Outta curiousity. Was tfm privy (before auction ending) to the same misinformation between Harami and PK which led to Harami's overinflated auction bid the first time around?

Jes wondering if he felt mislead into bidding too high as well.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Nov 02, 2005 8:58 am 

No.  I didn't know about the error in the listing until it popped up again.  David did some good follow-up work there.  I'm glad everything worked out.  I bid on POTVQ because I don't have that one, but I do have the other three.  As for the Designer's Kit, I've never seen one before.  Jeff is really positioning himself well to say something promising about Wee Warriors.  Perhaps it's time for another subweb.

Jeff, if you need information or scans of anything I have, please ask.

PreviousNext
Post new topic Reply to topic Page 16 of 21123 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17 ... 192021