Palace of the Vampire Queen print sequence
Post new topic Reply to topic Page 13 of 21123 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 ... 192021
Author

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Oct 30, 2005 8:45 pm 

Blackmoor wrote:So can somebody recap for me. What printing is up on Ebay now?

THanks

J

It is a fake. It is a cheap rip off, Stay away, you dont want to go anywhere near it. :twisted:  :twisted:  :twisted:

Ok, ok, I know that isn't going to work. :)  Seriously though and I am defintely not 100%, (I am sure that David will be by and correct me if I am wrong), but I think that this is really a 3rd printing without the cover page. Again though, I am not 100% sure. :)

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Oct 30, 2005 8:48 pm 

bclarkie wrote:
Blackmoor wrote:So can somebody recap for me. What printing is up on Ebay now?

THanks

J

It is a fake. It is a cheap rip off, Stay away, you dont want to go anywhere near it. :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Ok, ok, I know that isn't going to work. :) Seriously though and I am defintely not 100%, (I am sure that David will be by and correct me if I am wrong), but I think that this is really a 3rd printing without the cover page. Again though, I am not 100% sure. :)

No cover page!! It is incomplete then? Notice only Acaeum members bidding on it!

J

Games can get you through times of no money but money can not get you through times of no games!!

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Oct 30, 2005 9:02 pm 

Blackmoor wrote:
bclarkie wrote:

It is a fake. It is a cheap rip off, Stay away, you dont want to go anywhere near it. :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Ok, ok, I know that isn't going to work. :) Seriously though and I am defintely not 100%, (I am sure that David will be by and correct me if I am wrong), but I think that this is really a 3rd printing without the cover page. Again though, I am not 100% sure. :)

No cover page!! It is incomplete then? Notice only Acaeum members bidding on it!

J

Well, if it is a 3rd print like I think it is then technically, it is incomplete, but only for the stand point that the page missing is the yellow cover page with only the artwork on it and no loss of anything else(text or maps). :) Once again though, I would wait until David, Adam Schultz, I/O, or TFM, roll by, as they have had actually email correspondance back and forth with Pete, where I have not. I am just basing my opinion on what has been posted here so far.

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Sun Oct 30, 2005 9:22 pm 

Blackmoor wrote:Is it complete? It want an original, what's it go for usually? Is the acaeum prices and printing information accurate?

Thanks
J

I see... Bid first, ask questions later? :)
The Acaeum printing information is at least partly inaccurate.

Well, that copy should be "missing" at least one page ;)
Heh. Basically whatever you want to count as "complete"... If I throw away the black folder and the distribution/copyright page from my copy, it should "match" the one up for sale.

btw. And still no-one has stated whether "House Copy" is written on the shrink (making only an impression on the cover page?), or else on the cover page itself?

=
Don't worry. Giorgio will be around later.
I'm pretty sure he was the highest bidder last time who wasn't (afaik) fussed about the printing.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Oct 30, 2005 9:25 pm 

harami2000 wrote:
Blackmoor wrote:Is it complete? It want an original, what's it go for usually? Is the acaeum prices and printing information accurate?

Thanks
J

I see... Bid first, ask questions later? :)
The Acaeum printing information is at least partly inaccurate.

Well, that copy should be "missing" at least one page ;)
Heh. Basically whatever you want to count as "complete"... If I throw away the black folder and the distribution/copyright page from my copy, it should "match" the one up for sale.

btw. And still no-one has stated whether "House Copy" is written on the shrink (making only an impression on the cover page?), or else on the cover page itself?

=
Don't worry. Giorgio will be around later.
I'm pretty sure he was the highest bidder last time who wasn't (afaik) fussed about the printing.

So D, are you saying that this is in fact a first printing w/o the Black Folder then?

I am not really worried about my current high bid, as I can guarantee that I will not win with what it is currently whether it is 1st or 3rd printing. :)

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Sun Oct 30, 2005 9:33 pm 

bclarkie wrote:So D, are you saying that this is in fact a first printing w/o the Black Folder then?

And what were you bidding on, Brian? ;)

Like I said, no folder, plus no copyright/distribution sheet. And, as far as is understood, a "second printing" (like all other 1976 copies).

bclarkie wrote:I am not really worried about my current high bid, as I can guarantee that I will not win with what it is currently whether it is 1st or 3rd printing. :)

Thanks...

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Oct 30, 2005 9:41 pm 

harami2000 wrote:
bclarkie wrote:So D, are you saying that this is in fact a first printing w/o the Black Folder then?

And what were you bidding on, Brian? ;)

Like I said, no folder, plus no copyright/distribution sheet. And, as far as is understood, a "second printing" (like all other 1976 copies).

I put my bid in under the assumption that it was a third printing, and truthfully it is really a token bid at that. Considering, that the MI from Pete went for what 2 times my snipe was, I am not holding any false hope with my current high bid regardless of the printing. :wink:

harami2000 wrote:Thanks...

Am I sensing a bit of sarcasm there. :?

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun Oct 30, 2005 9:49 pm 

Things we do know:

He has stated it is a third in his correspondence with I/O (see page 10).
It was a copy kept around the shop/storage that was designated not for sale or just went unsold originally. (House copy)
He never states anywhere it is some initial, early, extraordinary version of what has been floating around.

Things we don't know:

Is the writing on the cover page? (but does it matter much from the publisher/author?)
Is it missing pages? (I am betting he doesn't really remember and I could understand if folks are leary about the value if he isn't able to follow through on researching it here.)

I wouldn't look for this particular copy to unleash the secrets of the PotVQ. It appears to be a great copy of this module directly from the publisher. Perhaps it isn't worth $1,500+ or perhaps it is. His Character Archaic fetched nearly double it's commonly understood value on the basis of origin alone so it wouldn't seem unlikely for it to happen again in spite of all the confusion.

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Sun Oct 30, 2005 9:49 pm 

bclarkie wrote:Considering, that the MI from Pete went for what 2 times my snipe was, I am not holding any false hope with my current high bid regardless of the printing. :wink:

Hey, you were third at $223 and Giorgio barely scraped $150.
eBay.com Item Bid History
Neither of you asked about the cardstock, I presume?

bclarkie wrote:
harami2000 wrote:Thanks...

Just heavy irony ;)

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Oct 30, 2005 10:00 pm 

harami2000 wrote:
bclarkie wrote:Considering, that the MI from Pete went for what 2 times my snipe was, I am not holding any false hope with my current high bid regardless of the printing. :wink:

Hey, you were third at $223 and Giorgio barely scraped $150.
eBay.com Item Bid History
Neither of you asked about the cardstock, I presume?

I realize it is a really sweet copy, but to answer your question, no I did not ask him about it. Is there something special about this particular copy that I was not aware of other than the facts that I am assuming that it was an uncirculated copy and that it was sold directly by the original author?

harami2000 wrote:
bclarkie wrote:

Just heavy irony ;)
Just wondering. :)

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Sun Oct 30, 2005 10:01 pm 

Adam Shultz wrote:Things we do know:
It was a copy kept around the shop/storage that was designated not for sale or just went unsold originally. (House copy)
He never states anywhere it is some initial, early, extraordinary version of what has been floating around.

Sorry; from discussions with Pete I'll disagree with all three of those comments. All points already covered.

Adam Shultz wrote:Things we don't know:

Is the writing on the cover page? (but does it matter much from the publisher/author?)
Is it missing pages? (I am betting he doesn't really remember and I could understand if folks are leary about the value if he isn't able to follow through on researching it here.)

And given what I was told, it should be missing the copyright/distribution page.

Adam Shultz wrote:I wouldn't look for this particular copy to unleash the secrets of the PotVQ.

Alas, possibly only one or two minor points to be gleaned :(
It is however not a photocopy(!). And without the "protection" that the folder provides (albeit that can easily be stuffed with second-hand photocopies), that is a definite plus.

Adam Shultz wrote:It appears to be a great copy of this module directly from the publisher. Perhaps it isn't worth $1,500+ or perhaps it is. His Character Archaic fetched nearly double it's commonly understood value on the basis of origin alone so it wouldn't seem unlikely for it to happen again in spite of all the confusion.

Jeff understands Pete's Character Archaic to have been a "pre-pub".
Combined with the minty condition on what is often found only as an incomplete item, a premium was certainly to be expected.
And Jeff does not bid lightly! :)

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Oct 30, 2005 10:10 pm 

harami2000 wrote:
Adam Shultz wrote:Things we do know:

Sorry; from discussions with Pete I'll disagree with all three of those comments. All points already covered.

I really hate to throw this monkey wrench into the works, but I was pretty sure that he did tell Mike<I/O> that it was in fact a 3rd printing, or at least alluded to it:

Palace of the Vampire Queen print sequence

However, here is the money wrench that I don't want to throw in, but it might be worth consideration. Is it possible that Pete is aware of a seperate printing(aka T-3rd printing :roll: ) that we have not uncovered as of yet, and the possibly that 3rd printing as we know it is actually a 4th printing? With that in mind that would make the 4th & 5th printing foldered copies now 5th & 6th printings repectively?

harami2000 wrote:And Jeff does not bid lightly! :)

Truer words have never been spoken. :wink:

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun Oct 30, 2005 10:11 pm 

Really? I just combed back through the end part of this thread and didnae find these discussed points. From your discussion with Pete you have concluded it is a special edition and not an unused copy? And he contradicts what he wrote IO in his quoted response earlier?

I am just glad I already have the fully vested black cover version.....whatever damn printing it is. So I shalln't be throwing any money at this regardless. :lol:

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun Oct 30, 2005 10:18 pm 

Jeff understands Pete's Character Archaic to have been a "pre-pub".

I missed this as well. There was nothing in the auction description to suggest this. I was the second highest bidder and would have gladly paid for it in its condition from the publisher on those merits alone.

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Sun Oct 30, 2005 10:39 pm 

Adam Shultz wrote:

Really? I just combed back through the end part of this thread and didnae find these discussed points. From your discussion with Pete you have concluded it is a special edition and not an unused copy? And he contradicts what he wrote IO in his quoted response earlier?

*g*. I didn't "conclude". I just asked Pete the right questions and (only a few hours before auction close) he replied with full details explaining why the inner pages were from the stated-1974 1st print. (Would have been slitting my throat to have posted that on the board, so apologies for not doing so!).
Immediately after the auction closed, Pete checked with a friend who remembered the full history of this copy and sent me a profuse apology for having misled me.
Like I said, am greatful to him (and his friend) for checking this out and copying me in before I parted with the money. Would still have preferred to have been able to make the "fair market offer" which was "all he requested" for the mod, but that's by-the-by, now.

Because it was bagged as the "house copy" before the TSR distribution deal was sealed, it should be missing the copyright page as that was printed later.

Ah... the response to IO (page 9, not 10). That's the "hybrid copy" story with the incorrect Feb 1975 date. I'm a bit unsure, but I think Frank (quite fairly to be honest) said that sounded more like the third print (Acaeum listing), perhaps given that he suspected the date Pete had provided was wrong (as turned out to be the case).
That page of this thread is further confused by <tfm> giving a new definition of "3rd" :)

Adam Shultz wrote:I am just glad I already have the fully vested black cover version.....whatever damn printing it is.

No joke!!
*nods in agreement*. Perfectly happy with my black folder, too; and glad I held out for one, thankyouverymuch... ;)

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun Oct 30, 2005 10:43 pm 

Damn. I was just thinking about offering my Black Foldered version in trade for your Dragon11 original.  :wink:

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Sun Oct 30, 2005 11:00 pm 

Adam Shultz wrote:Damn. I was just thinking about offering my Black Foldered version in trade for your Dragon11 original. :wink:

*chuckles*. Thank you, Adam! Image
Well, that wouldn't have been a million miles off the mark. William pushed me to within cents of my limit for that black folder (sorry!) and there hasn't been another good copy, since.
(Given the current situation, unless you've got a spare copy of the folder, you'd probably be best sitting very tightly on that.
Think you might've mentioned something along that line, before...?).

On a purely commercial basis, I still probably should've swapped it for that NM 2nd woodgrain (the $611 01/2002 copy on Page Not Found , IIRC) where I was underbidder to the person I sniped on the Dragon artwork.

(If someone wants to give me a really tough time they could wave a mid-grade Tamo or Inverness under my nose ^^).

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun Oct 30, 2005 11:08 pm 

Ok. 2 things.

First, you lost the woodgrain to who? Cause I was the damn second highest bidder in that original 11 auction. :lol:

Second. Hows about this....

black jacket PotVQ + Full sized 1st Dwarven Glory (missing 2 pages with staple but in otherwise EX+ appearance) = Your Dragon11 original ?

eta: This is one of like 3 DGs 1st print that I have ever seen on auction.

PreviousNext
Post new topic Reply to topic Page 13 of 21123 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 ... 192021