Palace of the Vampire Queen print sequence
Author

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Mon Oct 17, 2005 8:59 am 

Read it again. The first print run was both poly and black folder. He didn't run more sheets until he got his own press, and added the cover sheet. So what you have is two different versions of the same printing. He also states that the third printing is the copy on eBay, the original sheets and new cover.
This explains why every retailer and gamer I spoke with who was active during that time. only saw the black foldered version. If he was selling copies only in LA, it would have very low distribution.

If you hit a Rowsdower, you get to keep it.

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Oct 17, 2005 9:06 am 

Deadlord36 wrote:He also states that the third printing is the copy on eBay, the original sheets and new cover.

That is how I read it, too.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Oct 17, 2005 9:26 am 

Hmm interesting, but that is definitely right.  :)  Question then becomes where is the 3rd print artwork page becuase it is not showing in the picture. :?

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Oct 17, 2005 9:33 am 

harami2000 wrote:*g* And is "house copy" written on the poly or the cover sheet? A poser for the condition freaks ;)

I had the same thought; do let us know if you get a reply to that one, David.

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Oct 17, 2005 9:35 am 

Deadlord36 wrote:Read it again. The first print run was both poly and black folder. He didn't run more sheets until he got his own press, and added the cover sheet. So what you have is two different versions of the same printing. He also states that the third printing is the copy on eBay, the original sheets and new cover.
This explains why every retailer and gamer I spoke with who was active during that time. only saw the black foldered version. If he was selling copies only in LA, it would have very low distribution.

Actually, his comments are ambiguous.  He doesn't say he did or didn't do a print in between. He could well have done a second print at his cousin's print shop.  You are better off asking the question rather then assuming.  He seems like a nice guy so I am sure he will have no problem putting this debate to bed once and for all.

The term original sheets is also ambigous .. is this the original sheets left over from the 1st print run?

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Oct 17, 2005 10:34 am 

I simply meant a different issue.  Obviously, taking pages and adding a folder does not mean the pages are different, but the issue by the company is different if one was issued to retailers without a folder and one was issued with a folder, even if the contents are identical, similar to the Silver Ann. Edition, where the 1st ones issued have signatures or the 1st Woody where the third book is sans original cover.  Same prints, different issue.  

Actually, I'm quite unclear about the treatment of variations in this enviroment.  In some cases the differences between editions are denoted by differences in the actual plates used to print them.  In others it only takes an extra piece of paper or a penmark to create a different animal.  Some clarity here would help me considerably.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Mon Oct 17, 2005 10:36 am 

1st print: He runs off a bunch of copies, and sells a couple in poly bags. Then, he runs off black folders, puts the sheets in the folders instead of poly bags, and sells a lot of them.

2nd print: He has a cover sheet made and goes back to poly bags.

3rd and 4th prints: He switches to booklet form.

Now the comment:

In Jan of 75 a friend ran the shop till mid Feb when I got out of the service and took over the shop.

I'm not minded to dig out copies of PoVQ to check, but there is a massive time discrepancy here. Since the brown box came out in '74, and according to the seller in Jan of '75 he was printing the booklet form, the other copies were supposedly printed in '74. Not possible.
I also see much mention of him selling the copies himself, both out of car and shop. He mentions a verbal payment agreement from TSR in '75, but the original copies were supposedly distributed by TSR. The booklet form was supposedly distributed by WW, yet this story has it the other way around.
I should also point out that he should be the copyright holder for all Wee Warriors items, if the story is true.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Mon Oct 17, 2005 10:48 am 

heheh sounds just as confusing as before :)

frank has a point there tho. the time back in late 74/early 75. after the brown box was released, you aint leaving an awful lot of time there, to hammer out a module, print it and distribute it....AND sort something with TSR in that time too....

thats a damn tight time frame imo.

think some more questions need asking to maybe correlate the info into relating to the other historical items at the time too? cos if it doesnt fit with what is already know with them, then something doesnt sound quite right.

so the print sequence that frank just mentioned, is that now sounding more like how the sequence should be, and isnt that kinda what we first thought? a joint first print, one in poly/one in black folder, but one distributed before the other?

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Oct 17, 2005 11:04 am 

That sequence makes sense to me, both chronologically and logistically.  

Not to throw sand in the works, but has anyone ever had problems setting up a username and password here?

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Oct 17, 2005 11:36 am 

afoolandhis$ wrote:Not to throw sand in the works, but has anyone ever had problems setting up a username and password here?

This is the second account I have had on the Acaeum. Set the first one back in 2002/3 but never used it and when I visited again in 04 I had forgot  my password so just created another...never had a problem setting up either.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Mon Oct 17, 2005 1:37 pm 

No problems for me. I only have this one.
I'm no PurpleDragon, but there are a ton of things here that don't add up.
It really doesn't matter whether it is a bagged or foldered copy, it is still a 1st print. That being the case, who would want a bagged version?
I'm not going to call this guy a fraud or liar, but personally I find the statements and time frames way too far off. There is something fishy in Denmark.......

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Mon Oct 17, 2005 3:29 pm 

Deadlord36 wrote: There is something fishy in Denmark.......

actually frank, the harbour in copenhagen does smell a little....um....fishy :)

i think the historic side of it still needs to be ironed out cos it dont sound right to me either.

but at least we've got a good idea of the print sequence at long last.

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Mon Oct 17, 2005 4:06 pm 

killjoy32 wrote:but at least we've got a good idea of the print sequence at long last.

A little bit better than before, perhaps, but there are a good number of obvious printing questions arising from previous observations- none of which appear to be on the list above (which is strange!).

I don't want to wear out Pete's goodwill too much, but I didn't hear back from Mike <IO> as to what angle he's taking compared with my own discussions.
(Just a quick check as to how many of the rest of us are sending over questions? Might defer until later if that's way too many, already :?).

=
aside @ Al: d'you remember the fun we had with the "Initial" JG dating?

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Oct 17, 2005 4:30 pm 

harami2000 wrote:(Just a quick check as to how many of the rest of us are sending over questions? Might defer until later if that's way too many, already :?).

Only that one question from me which was answered.  Won't be asking anymore for now.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Mon Oct 17, 2005 4:57 pm 

well the only thing i really wanted to know was the print sequence...but we're getting there anyway...

plus like we did over the JG early days (which was quite good fun piecing it all together).....it would be nice to finally put the early days together so we all know once and for all.

i think what "pete" answered is prb along the right track, but hey that was 30 years ago and the timing doesnt quite go right for me. too much happening too quick, so a little more digging.

is there anyone else we could maybe ask to get some more insight?

Are we nearly there yet?

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Tue Oct 18, 2005 10:40 pm 

Oops, just thought of a question to ask... Too late... :( :(

Doesn't PotVQ mix-and-match 2-way and 4-way alignment in the text?
I don't have an open copy(!) and just remember something of that ilk from the copy of NFB (News From Bree) with the review.

*tries not to look too worried*

Anyone, please?

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 2:35 am 

harami2000 wrote:Anyone, please?

well its a bit late now my friend :)

look forward to lots of notes that youre gonna provide from your research :)

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Active Collector

Post Posted: Sat Oct 29, 2005 6:03 am 

Hi,

I thought you might want to have a look at, and possibly contribute to, this other thread related to Wee Warriors products:
http://www.acaeum.com/forum/about2894.html
I made it a separate thread on the non-TSR forum. The following is relevant to POTVQ, as described in The Character Archaic:
The end of the description was blackened out. It would read: "The kit comes by level - 1 through 5 - state desired level when ordering." It looks like this module was initially planned to be sold level by level, but the idea was dropped.

Regards,

sleuth2000.

PreviousNext