Palace of the Vampire Queen print sequence
Author

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sun Oct 16, 2005 6:23 am 

beyondthebreach wrote:As a side note, I have already purchased several different Warhammer items from him. He seems to have a nice vintage collection of a lot of stuff. Get your questions ready though, cause he only ships in the U.S!!!! (I am sure that is a big reason I was able to get some good Warhammer deals).

well i have asked him if he will ship to me BTB....if not, youre gonna get another shout chummer :)

Al

ps. hope the guy can come up with some good solid info, so the whole period can be mapped out proper....would be real nice to know.

Are we nearly there yet?

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Oct 16, 2005 9:08 am 

The PoVQ and his description of how they were sold would seem to indicate the original bagged sequence may be correct (ie no folder pre-dates black folder). It would be interesting if Pete's recollections could sort out the print sequence once and for all.

This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sun Oct 16, 2005 10:48 am 

this one didnt take long to get really meaty :)

anyone care to guess how high this one will go?

seen as its at $700+ now with 2 days to go, i wonder how much higher ppl will be prepared to bid......

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Oct 16, 2005 10:51 am 

killjoy32 wrote:this one didnt take long to get really meaty :)

anyone care to guess how high this one will go?

seen as its at $700+ now with 2 days to go, i wonder how much higher ppl will be prepared to bid......

Al

You have my word that it is not going to go that cheap. :wink:

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sun Oct 16, 2005 12:43 pm 

heheh so you want one of them do you :)

good luck!!

Al

ps. will sort the $ for you later ok?

Are we nearly there yet?

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Oct 16, 2005 12:59 pm 

At least you know this one is a true first edition first print if it's coming from the author himself. Is this really PK or could it be a fraud?

Alan. At least that means your copy is a true 1st edition.

This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sun Oct 16, 2005 1:34 pm 

mbassoc2003 wrote:At least you know this one is a true first edition first print if it's coming from the author himself. Is this really PK or could it be a fraud?

oh i aint that bothered really as i dont intend to sell it, but it would be nice to finally know the true sequence of events from 30 yrs ago wouldnt it?

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Sun Oct 16, 2005 1:41 pm 

*nods*

mbassoc2003 wrote:At least you know this one is a true first edition first print if it's coming from the author himself. Is this really PK or could it be a fraud?

I thought the consensus was 1st print from engraved plates with/without folder, so long as there are no further variations.

(*wonders whether anyone else is going to ask the question I did*)

*g* And is "house copy" written on the poly or the cover sheet? A poser for the condition freaks ;)

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Oct 16, 2005 1:41 pm 

killjoy32 wrote:

oh i aint that bothered really as i dont intend to sell it, but it would be nice to finally know the true sequence of events from 30 yrs ago wouldnt it?

Al

Is he willing to sell internationallly?

Games can get you through times of no money but money can not get you through times of no games!!

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Sun Oct 16, 2005 1:43 pm 

Blackmoor wrote:Is he willing to sell internationallly?

My bid wasn't cancelled... :oops:

Best to drop him an email (or, in my case, an apology!).

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sun Oct 16, 2005 2:03 pm 

Blackmoor wrote:
Is he willing to sell internationallly?

yes he is.

he stated to me that there were customs problems with some of his other items in the past (assuming non-book related), but he said i was fine to bid on this and the misty isles.

i already have a PotVQ and dont really wanna shell out the $$$ to that extent - thats just being greedy but wouldnt mind the misty isles tho so will keep my eyes on that one :D

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sun Oct 16, 2005 2:05 pm 

harami2000 wrote:I thought the consensus was 1st print from engraved plates with/without folder, so long as there are no further variations.

i still think the folder/non-folder are joint 1st prints, but hey what do i know :)

will be interesting to see what info can be garnished straight from the source.

Alan

Are we nearly there yet?

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun Oct 16, 2005 2:12 pm 

I got a response.

The question I sent:

I have a few questions about this module and the history of The Palace of the Vampire Queen in general. First, are you Pete? And if so is your auction item the first version of the Palace? I have another version that has a black folder with red foil stamp depicting a castle and states "Dungeon Masters Kit - Number 1"and "Palace of the Vampire Queen" The contents are the same as your auction item.

Response:

Hi, Yes I am Pete Kerestan. Your copy is the one following the poly bag. While in the service the black cover copy was put together in Morror Bay in 1974 by myself and my wife. In Feb of 75 with my shop open I began doing the booklet form on my own press from the existing product. Pete

I want to send more questions, but I dont want to overwhelm him. So to avoid stacking the same questions from others; what questions have you guys asked?

"Its either a wand to cast Bigby's Hand spells or a +3 backscratcher. We're not sure which."

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Sun Oct 16, 2005 2:50 pm 

invincibleoverlord wrote:I want to send more questions, but I dont want to overwhelm him. So to avoid stacking the same questions from others; what questions have you guys asked?

I did invite Pete over to browse the threads, or to join in as he wished.

Agreed; am trying not to flood him too much, either. (Thanks Image).

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Oct 16, 2005 6:06 pm 

Reply from Pete

weewarriors wrote:Hi John, Tried to get onto the site but I keep getting a invalid password and if I try to get it sent to me they give me a invalid email for username. So if you want you can relay the info. I saw 1 message and the person is right that the pages printed are the same in the poly bagged and folder product. Sales were much improved with the folder version. I am going to look around here as I think I know where pictures of the old shop and brad and myself might be. We did some goofy ones with our hands overflowing with dollar bills that might be good for a chuckle considering the products are worth more today then when we made them.

Scott, can you get in touch to sort out his password problems?

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Sun Oct 16, 2005 6:08 pm 

Pete via johnhuck wrote:We did some goofy ones with our hands overflowing with dollar bills that might be good for a chuckle considering the products are worth more today then when we made them.

Just a bit.... *smiles*

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Oct 17, 2005 2:53 am 

I got another response.

What a nice Guy!

I wrote:

Pete,

Thanks you for your response… It's great to chat with you. There is a whole community of collectors obsessed with these early Wee Warrior's items, as I'm sure you've noticed from the current bid on your "House Copy" of the Place. It would be amazing if you could help us out in hammering out the printing order of all the versions of the PotVQ.

I am a member of the Acaeum (The D&D collecting forum) and this is a link to the current thinking of the printing order. If you could find the time to look it over that would be very helpful.

Page Not Found

And if you'd like to respond directly to community here is a link to a discussion on the topic.

Palace of the Vampire Queen print sequence • Page 9 • Collecting General •  The Acaeum

Thank you,

Mike

Pete Responded:

Hi Mike, The product itself was first put out in a plastic bag with just a plain sheet front. They didn't sell to the hobby shops in LA at all well. I took the next step and had a black cover made up by my wife's cousin who had a print shop. This did some sales. I then got a press and ran the sheets again putting together a poly bag and adding a cover sheet that Brad did for me. This is the item currently on ebay, the original sheets and the new cover. In Jan of 75 a friend ran the shop till mid Feb when I got out of the service and took over the shop. I found a saddle back stapler and decided to go with the booklet form and abounded the idea of selling the product in my shop as a poly bagged item. This copy was put into my bookcase for shop use but I soon found most of us playing historical games and it just remained sitting here. Shortly after setting up a verbal agreement with TSR I turned over printing to a printer in Morro Bay and he did the printing on the products from that point on. Judy, my wife, and I did the assembly. Brad moved up to Morro bay in 75 and did artwork there and at the shop in San Luis. We had a banner product with sticky back flags, a space ship with almost gothic style star trek and Klingon ships, and several other little things that I sold mail order. Falling out with TSR over payment issues I ended up in the end closing the shop and going just mail order. Seduced up to San Jose I it wasn't till 1991 that I again started doing hobby products with a vacuum form line later purchased by Goe Hex. Today I am starting a new product line of metal figures, resin casts and even an art CD which I have the first copy of up on ebay this week. Hope that fills in a little of the blanks, Pete

I have thoughts after reading this, but I'd like to hear what you guys think first.

"Its either a wand to cast Bigby's Hand spells or a +3 backscratcher. We're not sure which."

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Oct 17, 2005 3:24 am 

Wow!  That helps a lot, doesn't it?  It would seem that the 1st print has just a plain sheet [eBay now, with bonus yellow], the 2nd a black folder (no yellow sheet) [exists], the 3rd a black folder (with the yellow sheet) [exists], the fourth with the yellow cover sheet (no black folder) [exists], the fifth with the Castle cover (unless this is a Zocchi bootleg) [exists], and then the pamphlet versions.

Thanks, IO, for the info.

PreviousNext