Palace of the Vampire Queen print sequence
Author

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 12:29 am 

DnDGeek wrote:...or at least type up the text, like I do for every module I run and make it all available here, if there's interest.

*watches the queue form for free copies of every TSR module...*

Might as well do those, too?

Site Admin

Post Posted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 1:30 am 

Unfortunately, while your intentions might be pure, posting scans of all the pages will quickly lead to counterfeits appearing on eBay.  This would be relatively easy to accomplish, since the non-foldered versions are not technically complex in the first place (from a printing standpoint).

Aside from any of that, it's also illegal.

Please do not post complete scans, or links to complete scans / pdf files, here.

Foul

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 2:03 am 

hear hear foul.

if you wanna run it chummer, go get one like we had to :)

and besides, i aint fecking taking mine out the wrapping again, not a chance ! :D

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 2:58 am 

Or you could wait till the copyright has lapsed (ie 70 years past the authors death).   :lol:

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 4:01 am 

improvstone wrote:Or you could wait till the copyright has lapsed (ie 70 years past the authors death).  :lol:

Make sure you talk to someone who really knows about copyright.

Not saying that Improvstone does not know...just saying...check out the actual copyright laws rather than getting advice online.    :wink:

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 4:20 am 

improvstone wrote:Or you could wait till the copyright has lapsed (ie 70 years past the authors death). :lol:

Are the authors of it still alive?

A number of years ago, a local game shop was selling bad photocopies of it for 10 bucks.

~Clangador
---------------

Black Blade Publishing imprint of OSRIC is not only the most definitive printing of OSRIC to date, but also the single greatest resource for old school gamers since the three original hardbacks written by E. Gary Gygax.

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 4:22 am 

MShipley88 wrote: Make sure you talk to someone who really knows about copyright.

Not saying that Improvstone does not know...just saying...check out the actual copyright laws rather than getting advice online.  :wink:

Of course one should never take 'tounge in cheek' comments as serious  :wink:

But if one does wish to be serious then be sure to check out copyright laws in the relevant country as each country has its own laws.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 8:05 am 

Well, we have been down this road several times before as one only needs to look at the last sticky thread "Report Sellers Who Commit Copyright Infringement".   For those of you here taht are interested, here is a link to the enitre US Copyright Law, but Improv was really not that far off:

http://straylight.law.cornell.edu/uscod ... 01_17.html

And more specifically the duration of the copyright, which depends on when the work was produced:

http://straylight.law.cornell.edu/uscod ... _10_3.html

The laws for works produced after January 1, 1978:

(a) In General.— Copyright in a work created on or after January 1, 1978, subsists from its creation and, except as provided by the following subsections, endures for a term consisting of the life of the author and 70 years after the author's death.

In this circumstance this does not apply beacuse PotVQ was produce in 1976. The law that regualtes works prior to January 1,1978 is here:

(a) Copyright in a work created before January 1, 1978, but not theretofore in the public domain or copyrighted, subsists from January 1, 1978, and endures for the term provided by section 302. In no case, however, shall the term of copyright in such a work expire before December 31, 2002; and, if the work is published on or before December 31, 2002, the term of copyright shall not expire before December 31, 2047

Now there is more specifics on the US Copright Law site, then what I copied here, but for the most part that is the general laws. Additonally, in a lot of circumsatances the author(s) of the material may choose to request an extention to their copyright. Finally, afaik, at least one of the original creators of PotVQ are still alive as Mike(I/O) was corresponding with him back in February. :)

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 8:56 am 

bclarkie wrote:
Now there is more specifics on the US Copright Law site, then what I copied here, but for the most part that is the general laws. Additonally, in a lot of circumsatances the author(s) of the material may choose to request an extention to their copyright. Finally, afaik, at least one of the original creators of PotVQ are still alive as Mike(I/O) was corresponding with him back in February. :)

well whatever....i think anyone who sits there are gives someone else a copy of PotVQ that they paid a ton of $$$ for needs putting in the loony bin anyway :)

i dont believe in copyright infringement like that anyway. they crop up on ebay now and then so go and fight for them like everyone else does i say!

i am quite happy with mine. it will stay stored away now til i die and get given to my kids with my other items that i am fortunate to get ahold of, such as tim jiardini's R1 (which i am still chuffed to bits about) :)

only thing i wished i really had got was david sutherlands portfolio - still gutted i didnt get that...

anyway, offtopic....

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 9:16 am 

killjoy32 wrote:hear hear foul.

if you wanna run it chummer, go get one like we had to :)

and besides, i aint fecking taking mine out the wrapping again, not a chance ! :D

Al

I couldn't justify a couple grand just to run a module…could I?  LOL; I could barely even keep a straight face writing that…of course I could!  I'd just chalk it up to an investment, even if I wasn't a collector.  Yeah, D&D means that much to me, as pathetic as that fact may be.

FoulFoot wrote:Unfortunately, while your intentions might be pure, posting scans of all the pages will quickly lead to counterfeits appearing on eBay. This would be relatively easy to accomplish, since the non-foldered versions are not technically complex in the first place (from a printing standpoint).

Aside from any of that, it's also illegal.

Please do not post complete scans, or links to complete scans / pdf files, here.

Foul

Of course you're right FoulFoot; my apologies to the Acaeum.  I wouldn't want to be the instigator of a flood of fraudulent PoVQs on eBay…the horror! :oops:   I had been perusing the scans of select pages already posted in this thread purely as an interested collector but my mind turned to the possibility of acquiring the rest of the pages just to run the module (because my most recent use of L3 turned to disaster).  I thought that those pages might already be on the site somewhere or, perhaps, on another site known to Acaeum members.  So what's the difference in legality of posting a couple pages as opposed to the whole module?  Is it only copyright infringement if you make a buck off of it?  Could I legally make the text and a redrawn map (all not in the original format so as to avoid counterfeits) available to others for free for their own personal use?  I'm willing to research the answer to those questions, but your feedback is welcome.

improvstone wrote:Of course one should never take 'tounge in cheek' comments as serious :wink:

Of course. :wink:

Someone get a hold of the "Wee Warriors" crew, tell them to dust off this relic, print up a couple thousand copies at a reasonable price and watch them fly off the shelves.  ("Don't miss your chance to own the first RPG module ever published!")  Maybe print an anniversary edition, a la the Liberation of Geoff, with the original version and a revamped version so I can legally pay for a playable copy.  Wait a second, if that means it'll be a D20 version, then just forget the whole idea.  I'd take a Hackmaster copy, though.

"Imagination is more important than knowledge." -Albert Einstein
http://www.dungeonsdeepdesigns.com

Site Admin

Post Posted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 1:45 pm 

DnDGeek wrote:I couldn't justify a couple grand just to run a module…could I?

My recommendation?  Wait for a 4th or 5th (digest-sized) copy to come up on eBay.  They usually go for around $100 or so.  Content-wise, they're identical to the earlier versions.

So what's the difference in legality of posting a couple pages as opposed to the whole module? Is it only copyright infringement if you make a buck off of it? Could I legally make the text and a redrawn map (all not in the original format so as to avoid counterfeits) available to others for free for their own personal use?

It's a term called "fair use".  Posting a scans of a few of the pages -- for the intent of determining the print sequence -- would be considered "fair use".  Posting scans for the intent of running the module would infringe on the author's copyright, whether or not you intended to sell those scans (i.e., even giving away free copies is an infringement).

Foul

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 1:51 pm 

So, has anyone tried contacting the author(s) and getting this thing into a PDF for sale over the Internet?

~Clangador
---------------

Black Blade Publishing imprint of OSRIC is not only the most definitive printing of OSRIC to date, but also the single greatest resource for old school gamers since the three original hardbacks written by E. Gary Gygax.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 1:52 pm 

Interesting that we all love to collect D&D and related materials, but we all seem to apologize for it.

Apologizing for spending so much money?  Maybe...to my wife.

Apologize because I was one of those who rode one of the biggest cultural waves of my generation...a wave that is still rolling and still strongly influencing popular arts and culture?  No.

I get tired of pretending that my own sub-culture has something to aplogize for.   :evil:

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 2:36 pm 

$100 for a 4th/5th is pretty optimistic. I'd jump on that in a heartbeat. I think $200 is more realistic.

If you hit a Rowsdower, you get to keep it.

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 3:42 pm 

The <toymom> copy had worn covers and dissembled, used and stained maps.

Went for $218. :roll:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 5200186581

(Must admit DeLaina's idea to hold back the oB3 in order to create interest in the other lots paid serious dividends; as did her willingness to scan every page in a book, if required, copyright not withstanding... *gentle nudge to DnDGeek*)

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 4:04 pm 

harami2000 wrote:The <toymom> copy had worn covers and dissembled, used and stained maps.

Went for $218. :roll:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 5200186581

(Must admit DeLaina's idea to hold back the oB3 in order to create interest in the other lots paid serious dividends; as did her willingness to scan every page in a book, if required, copyright not withstanding... *gentle nudge to DnDGeek*)

yeah i think a decent copy would go for $200 at the least. i think there are quite a few ppl on the lookout for them imo

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Oct 15, 2005 10:54 pm 

*<bump>*

In lieu of the PotVQ auction just put up by one of the authors Pete Kerestan and the description in his auction listing, I figured this would be a good time to bump this thread. Here is the auction:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Wee-Warriors-First- ... dZViewItem

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat Oct 15, 2005 11:04 pm 

Good move Clarkie. I just sent a bunch of starter questions.

"Its either a wand to cast Bigby's Hand spells or a +3 backscratcher. We're not sure which."

PreviousNext