mockup images and misc pics
Author

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Sep 07, 2023 9:06 pm 

chromaticknight wrote in mockup images and misc pics:

Also, I think I had pointed out to Clyde some years back that the mockup for that Earthshaker cover used a portion of his art from "Allies of Antares" which was a DAW book from '81. How in the hell did that wind up in a TSR catalog??? :lol:

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Sep 28, 2023 5:48 pm 

1986 catalog

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Sep 28, 2023 5:49 pm 

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Sep 28, 2023 5:50 pm 

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Sep 28, 2023 5:53 pm 

‘’’

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Sep 28, 2023 5:54 pm 

“””

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Sep 28, 2023 5:56 pm 

:::

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Sep 28, 2023 5:56 pm 

;;;

Sage Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Thu Sep 28, 2023 7:01 pm 

The Red Sonja mockup cover wouldn't have worked very well!

It's interesting to see how some of the cover art was eventually used, or perhaps recycled for the mockups.

Long-Winded Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Thu Sep 28, 2023 11:46 pm 

There are also some changes in the titles!
The Alphax became Alphaks...
And the Revolt of the giants as well!

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Oct 27, 2023 3:44 pm 

chromaticknight wrote in mockup images and misc pics:A couple for Frank:

This is another image of that Companion Box Set mockup I had posted in a different thread, and then the photo you had previously posted.

I had talked to Larry about this some years back. He said he remembered doing two concepts, one for the Basic (before Gygax had him revise it -- see attached image) and one for the Expert, but he couldn't remember if he had ever done a third concept art piece.

I was thinking and guessing that this mockup art which appeared a year later in the catalog for pre-selling the Companion Set and this Gen Con poster was really the original prelim for the Expert set but just re-purposed that year. The reason I think is that the Hydra they are fighting is in the monster section with stats in the Expert set. Also, it's the same group of adventures he illustrated in both the concepts.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Oct 27, 2023 5:20 pm 

dbartman wrote in mockup images and misc pics:The Red Sonja mockup cover wouldn't have worked very well!

It's interesting to see how some of the cover art was eventually used, or perhaps recycled for the mockups.

Totally agree! I dont have a copy of it. I should fix that.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Oct 28, 2023 3:34 am 

misterspock wrote in mockup images and misc pics:
This is another image of that Companion Box Set mockup I had posted in a different thread, and then the photo you had previously posted.

I had talked to Larry about this some years back. He said he remembered doing two concepts, one for the Basic (before Gygax had him revise it -- see attached image) and one for the Expert, but he couldn't remember if he had ever done a third concept art piece.

I was thinking and guessing that this mockup art which appeared a year later in the catalog for pre-selling the Companion Set and this Gen Con poster was really the original prelim for the Expert set but just re-purposed that year. The reason I think is that the Hydra they are fighting is in the monster section with stats in the Expert set. Also, it's the same group of adventures he illustrated in both the concepts.

That's a good theory. Definitely the same group of adventurers. Maybe the image would jog Mr. Elmores memory?

Mike

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Oct 28, 2023 8:27 am 

chromaticknight wrote in mockup images and misc pics:That's a good theory. Definitely the same group of adventurers. Maybe the image would jog Mr. Elmores memory?

Mike

Sorry for the confusion. I did ask Larry Elmore about that years ago (I only mentioned the name 'Larry' but left out the 'Elmore' in my posts :lol: ), but he said he only recalled creating two concepts, one for Basic and one for Expert. I think after he got Gary Gygax's note about the single adventurer fighting the dragon, he kept that theme throughout the rest of the box sets.

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sat Oct 28, 2023 9:30 am 

As a kid way back when, I can't tell how many times I was sold on a module by the image on its front cover vs the block of text on its back.

Curious, does anyone have these mockups?  I am sure they would fetch a pretty penny based on their uniqueness alone.

-SKA

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Oct 28, 2023 7:44 pm 

Sir Kill Alot wrote in mockup images and misc pics:As a kid way back when, I can't tell how many times I was sold on a module by the image on its front cover vs the block of text on its back.

That's why I never bought Earthshaker! when it came out  :lol:

Sir Kill Alot wrote in mockup images and misc pics: Curious, does anyone have these mockups?  I am sure they would fetch a pretty penny based on their uniqueness alone.

A bunch of those mockup images on this 3rd page of the thread above were just portions of existing Dragon Magazine covers, or a portion of a calendar interior (from one of the Tim Hildebrandt "Realms of Fantasy" calendars). A number of the ones in the first page of the thread were legitimate original concepts or sometimes they would refer to the art itself as a "comp" which was then printed/paste-up/"mocked up" on product packaging, and then photographed for the catalog.

Collector's Trove recently sold a number of 35mm slides that were used in the 1984 catalog of these mock-ups back in August.

I have seen a number of comp art used in various catalogs over the years, but only maybe one or two of the physical printed/paste-up mock up's.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Sat Oct 28, 2023 8:30 pm 

Sir Kill Alot wrote in mockup images and misc pics:As a kid way back when, I can't tell how many times I was sold on a module by the image on its front cover vs the block of text on its back.
-SKA

A few times the back image sold me even harder; the D1-2 Descent combo module, that poor sod getting mind fi-layed, couldn’t resist…

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Sun Oct 29, 2023 2:53 am 

Supernaut wrote in mockup images and misc pics:A few times the back image sold me even harder; the D1-2 Descent combo module, that poor sod getting mind fi-layed, couldn’t resist…

Oh, so that's where it's from! My psychiatrist has a reproduction of this art hanging in his office. I had always wondered what it was.
Attachment:
d12.jpg

Previous