CGC Grading Etc...
Author

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Nov 13, 2023 6:49 pm 

These lasted like 20 mins. Maybe someone just wanted to have them as is. I am guessing they are getting slabbed.

** expired/removed eBay auction **

Sage Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Nov 15, 2023 12:34 am 

I wonder if we can slab ourselves to stave off senescence. Instead of cryogenics, slab-o-genics … oh wait that’s already been done I suppose. Hans Solo was slabbed by Jabba the Hutt … or perhaps Jabba the slabber would be more apt.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Dec 31, 2023 5:42 pm 

CGC was hit with a reholder scam. Basically someone figured out how to get their case replaced, but with a lower grade comic. I am always surprised at the thousands of dollars in difference over a single point or a news stand version.

https://www.cgccomics.com/news/article/12454/

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun Dec 31, 2023 9:02 pm 

Tszii wrote in CGC Grading Etc...:CGC was hit with a reholder scam. Basically someone figured out how to get their case replaced, but with a lower grade comic. I am always surprised at the thousands of dollars in difference over a single point or a news stand version.

https://www.cgccomics.com/news/article/12454/

Their process of subjective grading along with label upgrades (where they won’t regrade due to possibly a different set of analysts, and/or whether they had French or Italian roast coffee that morning), was begging for this kind of stuff to happen.  Also, you can bet that it’s more than just this 1 eBayer.  They’re just the seller who got caught…

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Jan 01, 2024 12:45 pm 

Yep, all they have is their credibility, which is why CGC will likely be buying all these comics. And yes, I am sure coffee has an impact right now.

Some folks are trying to remove the human element from grading. PSA, they only grade cards, bought a software company for $800 million that does the job. Basically a laser, or whatever, grades the card. It's apparently accurate enough to tell if the card comes back in to be re-graded. I would say a "finger print" but those apparently arent all that awesome. Some dont like the idea of course...on and on..tempest in a tea pot.

It is a "thing" though. You can buy the comic with the first appearance of Spider Man for $60,000 in a CGC 3.5. The 9.6 went for 3.5 million in 2022. I am not sure someone would pay $60 for a 3.5 S1 and I dont think 9.6 means anything to anyone right now. I am guessing the 6.0 S1 that sold for $600 went to a comics collector. They looked at the 1978 date, saw what was available and thought a 6.0 might be the top 3%.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Jan 12, 2024 9:06 am 

Tszii wrote in CGC Grading Etc...:
It is a "thing" though. You can buy the comic with the first appearance of Spider Man for $60,000 in a CGC 3.5. The 9.6 went for 3.5 million in 2022. I am not sure someone would pay $60 for a 3.5 S1 and I dont think 9.6 means anything to anyone right now. I am guessing the 6.0 S1 that sold for $600 went to a comics collector. They looked at the 1978 date, saw what was available and thought a 6.0 might be the top 3%.

IMO people shouldn't even be trying to slab anything under 6.0 (which I consider average condition) unless it's a rare item. Yes you will get lucky with a clueless collector now and then but it's just not worth the effort in most cases.

Mike B.

"THE MORE YOU THINK ABOUT WHY i DONE WHAT i DONE THE MORE i LAUGH" Cougar
"The Acaeum hates fun" Sir Allen
"I had a collecting emergency" Nogrod
Co-founder of the North Texas RPG Con
NTRPGCON

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Jan 12, 2024 10:52 pm 

Yea, its sort of like modern trading cards. Anything below a 9 might as well be cracked out of the slab to save weight for shipping. Modules might get a premium in a 6 or 7 , but so few are slabbed with even fewer buyers; it really is for "display purposes only."

That being said, I hope to send my next submission off next week!

Sage Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Mon Jan 15, 2024 1:19 pm 

This is an example of where professional grading would have helped:

** eBay auction listing blocked.  Please enable cookies in your browser for this site and for eBay! **

The seller was either was blind, completely unaware of how to grade, or was just being deceptive with their commentary.

This item clearly has liquid damage and there are several other flaws, which would not make it Mint, NM and certainly not new.

The buyer will probably not be happy with what they spent on it, assuming they didn't see the defects present.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Jan 15, 2024 2:50 pm 

Its already relisted. You can tell by the stains.

As a buyer and now a seller, I do agree, its a good idea to grade high end items regardless of condition. Break a 1-4 out of the case if you want to feel and read it. Dont break out a 8+, preserve these things. :) Or do, its your stuff, some of us will just be jealous for a day. :)

Side note: I bid $125 for a single page from the first appearance of spider man yesterday, it went for $197. A different page, that actually had spider man on it went for over $900. Its as close as I will ever get to a comic that went for 3.3 million in a 9.2. I wouldn't buy a single page of a comic without it being slabbed. I hope CGC and CBCS stay on their toes for authenticating so folks can have that kind of confidence.  It looks like its going to take a least a couple more years before grading DnD items catches on, if ever.

** eBay auction listing blocked.  Please enable cookies in your browser for this site and for eBay! **

Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jan 17, 2024 8:46 am 

Tszii wrote in CGC Grading Etc...:Its already relisted. You can tell by the stains.

The first seller and the second seller appear to be the same person.  Their locations are less than an hour apart, and there are several items concurrently listed by both sellers.

Sage Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Wed Jan 17, 2024 8:55 am 

Maku wrote in CGC Grading Etc...:The first seller and the second seller appear to be the same person.  Their locations are less than an hour apart, and there are several items concurrently listed by both sellers.

Interesting.  At least they somewhat admit there's a stain.  It's more than a small water mark on back cover.

I don't get jacking the BIN price up to nearly 2X what it sold for at auction, when it clearly sold for more than it was worth in that condition.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Jan 17, 2024 7:02 pm 

It makes comparison shopping easy? You buy the cheaper one if you dont know they are the same module? Another day where I realize I am not cynical enough.  :oops:

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sat Jan 27, 2024 2:06 pm 

I am a little surprised at this grade.  It does have noticeable defects.. I have zero idea on pricing of slabbed items and their effects.  It definitely would not fetch the $300 being asked if it were not graded.

-SKA

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Sat Jan 27, 2024 8:49 pm 

That looks like a 7.5 to me. But let's generously refer to it as an 8.0 (which we know it is not). I would have expected that a VF Q1 would be listed around $65-$75 in the current marketplace. Not $295.

Shrink is not a condition

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Jan 28, 2024 4:59 am 

That's the whole problem with grading and sealing stuff.
It has an inflated grade eaier by error or becasue thw company grading it has a financial insentive to do so, and the seller is trying to cash in on the idiots who believe in the system. The buyer has no means ever of checking the quality of what is sealed inside his little plastic box, and relies on the greater fool method of assessing and maintaining value. Every buyer has a vested interest in maintaining and talking up the prosess and subscribing to the faith, because once it is out that the values are wrong and the grading is flawed everything they have ever bought or had graded is also then brought into question. Is this not a shared delusion? When experienced buyers can see through the casing and tell that the buyer is misrepresenting what he is selling the seller?
I suppose the first reaction is maybe its a fake where the box has been openned and the module has been replaced with a lower quality copy?
Or maybe the company is just lowering its standards to encourage business and increase profits?
In which case, that then raises the question about the devaluing of all previously graded products also. If you lower the standards on an 8.5 grading, then everything previously graded 8.5 by default now has the same lower quality standards, even of the prodict sealed in aspect if a higher quality specifmin.

This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Feb 02, 2024 12:20 pm 

stratochamp wrote in CGC Grading Etc...:That looks like a 7.5 to me. But let's generously refer to it as an 8.0 (which we know it is not). I would have expected that a VF Q1 would be listed around $65-$75 in the current marketplace. Not $295.

The more items that are slabbed, the more these prices will come down as the marketplace does it's job. Frankly nothing under a 6.0 should be slabbed unless it's a rare, and unless it's rare or signed, I would have to see how the presentation looks on anything 8.0 or lower (or just send in my own copies to be graded instead). As a matter of course, I dislike the CGC pricing standards and will stick with sending items to CBCS only, despite the fact that my collection's value would "inflate" if I sent them to CGC. Everyone is going to grade differently but I find they seem to be more forgiving than I am personally with issues. In the last year two established dealers sold me items that neglected to mention water damage (very obvious when I got the items). Even the "professionals" will miss a time or two.

Mike B.

NTRPGCON

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Feb 02, 2024 4:04 pm 

Badmike wrote in CGC Grading Etc...:
Frankly nothing under a 6.0 should be slabbed unless it's a rare, and unless it's rare or signed,

Mike B.

What are your thoughts on first print mono's? Those are a bit more rare with few in great condition.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Feb 15, 2024 12:37 pm 

Tszii wrote in CGC Grading Etc...:
What are your thoughts on first print mono's? Those are a bit more rare with few in great condition.

I think it's like most of collecting....if you think it's something that would look cool on your wall or shelves for display, do it.

If you aren't personally an edition junkie, I wouldn't worry about it too much.

But I might do one of those just because I know myself and my fumble fingers would probably crease a corner removing it form a mylar case to look at it.

Mike B.

NTRPGCON

PreviousNext