Author

Sage Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sat Aug 05, 2023 10:39 pm 

That is a nice looking C2.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Aug 06, 2023 12:25 pm 

dbartman wrote in CGC Grading Etc...:That is a nice looking C2.

It's not "nice looking," it's a 9.0.  :wink:

Sage Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sun Aug 06, 2023 4:12 pm 

Looks like the high grades are working out for the seller:

** eBay auction listing blocked.  Please enable cookies in your browser for this site and for eBay! **

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Aug 06, 2023 6:20 pm 

He has a 7.5 T1 first print, offered it for $300. I didn't accept. I thought I would be better off sending more to be graded. I paid for them all to be pressed. I am looking forward to seeing if it effects the grade, relative to my first submission.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Wed Sep 27, 2023 12:25 pm 

Tszii wrote in CGC Grading Etc...:He has a 7.5 T1 first print, offered it for $300. I didn't accept. I thought I would be better off sending more to be graded. I paid for them all to be pressed. I am looking forward to seeing if it effects the grade, relative to my first submission.

You think pressing will help these? My recollection is the covers are a thicker paper stock than the typical comic for which pressing can remove surface wrinkles. Curious to see your results. I just sent in 8 modules to CBCS (in shrink), they really do push the pressing at checkout. I wonder what they would do if I asked shrink wrapped modules to be pressed :)

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Wed Sep 27, 2023 5:59 pm 

cstojano wrote in CGC Grading Etc...:You think pressing will help these?

It doesn't sound like pressing will make an RPG item less collectible, but collectability can be odd. Think about coins. You're not supposed to clean off the fine patina of wear from all the dead skin cells, pocket lint, or crotch sweat it has absorbed over the centuries. If an item's collectability must keep in mind crotch-sweat fetishists as a vital market to appease, then one is not entirely in the realm of the rational.

It would not be unimaginable for someone with buyers' remorse to someday ask for a refund because they claim they think it's been pressed. Stranger customer complaints have happened.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Sep 27, 2023 9:42 pm 

Some how pressing isnt considered restoration with comics and not pressing is considered a newbie mistake. I didnt press my first submission or the S1 I took out of shrink. I just had to try it to see though. Of course, I am a noob when it comes to DnD items. Ill have to forgive myself for pressing, or not pressing my first submissions, at some point.

Crotch sweat.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Sep 28, 2023 3:42 pm 

I sent off a Dragon #1 to CGC, and also got pressing.  I was pleasantly surprised with the end result, both in appearance and grade, which was a 9.0.  I would have been happy with an 8.0 given the way it looked when I submitted it.  I also sent in some silver and bronze age comics without pressing, and I now regret it.

Sage Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Thu Sep 28, 2023 3:46 pm 

What is the pressing exactly? Is there a risk it damages the finish of the cover etc..? Does it take a long time?

Let's go fly a kite
Up to the highest height!

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Sep 28, 2023 4:03 pm 

It can add a week or more to grading times. They literally press each page of the book, against some other type of paper, with a little heat. Its largely like the way they would add images to T-shirts at the mall in the 80s. It is supposed to remove some dirt and remove corner dings and the like. Its also why spine creases, that break color, get low grades. Color breaks are permanent.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Sep 28, 2023 4:40 pm 

Based on some YouTube videos I have seen, pressing involves subjecting the book to some humidity, followed by pressing with heat.  It will generally flatten bends in the paper, but won't help if there is a color break due the crease.  Pressing can be very helpful with the right book, and if it is done properly doesn't cause any damage.

Long-Winded Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Thu Sep 28, 2023 11:41 pm 

ddt58 wrote in CGC Grading Etc...:Based on some YouTube videos I have seen, pressing involves subjecting the book to some humidity, followed by pressing with heat.  It will generally flatten bends in the paper, but won't help if there is a color break due the crease.  Pressing can be very helpful with the right book, and if it is done properly doesn't cause any damage.

The more i read about slabbing the more i am keeping distanve from it... i admit i have never approached this thing but the doubts i have are growing instead of decreasing.
This pressing thing is not rationale: why should i press a book just one second before putting it in a case which won't likely be opened in the future?!
And the main question remains: books are made to be read... to appreciate the rite of touching the paper, turning the pages... to smell the scent of (old paper)...
This slabbing thing fits perfectly to CCG! When you have a card and you want to protect it, that is a great solution! This solution doesn't  work for something that has pages... it is pretty obvious... it's like collecting cars and decide to weld the door to protect the interior part (and possibly darken windows so that you can't see or access inside)... that is not rationale...

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Thu Sep 28, 2023 11:48 pm 

aia wrote in CGC Grading Etc...:
The more i read about slabbing the more i am keeping distanve from it... i admit i have never approached this thing but the doubts i have are growing instead of decreasing.
This pressing thing is not rationale: why should i press a book just one second before putting it in a case which won't likely be opened in the future?!
And the main question remains: books are made to be read... to appreciate the rite of touching the paper, turning the pages... to smell the scent of (old paper)...
This slabbing thing fits perfectly to CCG! When you have a card and you want to protect it, that is a great solution! This solution doesn't  work for something that has pages... it is pretty obvious... it's like collecting cars and decide to weld the door to protect the interior part (and possibly darken windows so that you can't see or access inside)... that is not rationale...

Slabbing is a form of archiving.  You don't archive cars (well, putting them in a museum is essentially archiving  :P )

-SKA

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Sep 28, 2023 11:53 pm 

aia wrote in CGC Grading Etc...:

And the main question remains: books are made to be read... to appreciate the rite of touching the paper, turning the pages... to smell the

Yep. Modules are no different than comics and 100 to 1 those arent graded so they can be enjoyed.

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Fri Sep 29, 2023 12:02 am 

Tszii wrote in CGC Grading Etc...:
Yep. Modules are no different than comics and 100 to 1 those arent graded so they can be enjoyed.

I agree, slabbed items will be the exception...not the norm.

-SKA

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Fri Sep 29, 2023 3:59 am 

aia wrote in CGC Grading Etc...:The more i read about slabbing the more i am keeping distanve from it... i admit i have never approached this thing but the doubts i have are growing instead of decreasing.

It is the nature of luxury that we hire others to do the work for us. If I can afford slabbed items, it's probably because I am a busy man - too busy creating startups or crypto coins or novel investment-financing options. I might be able to increase profitability margins if I farm out the task of leisure activities. When I send in a collectible item to be slabbed, I will have the satisfaction of knowing someone else spent a few weeks reading it & appreciating its crisp, new quality. Since the time of a slabbing employee is less valuable than my time, it is they who will punch out its cardboard counters to use in gaming sessions with friends, lend it to their children to inspire the next generation of fans, or leave it in the company bathroom to share with others. When they finally seal it away & send it back, they will have built memories of the times they spent with it, perhaps even inspiring nostalgia in the future.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Fri Sep 29, 2023 11:13 am 

cstojano wrote in CGC Grading Etc...:
You think pressing will help these? My recollection is the covers are a thicker paper stock than the typical comic for which pressing can remove surface wrinkles. Curious to see your results. I just sent in 8 modules to CBCS (in shrink), they really do push the pressing at checkout. I wonder what they would do if I asked shrink wrapped modules to be pressed :)

CBCS won't press shrinked items.

Pressing AND CLEANING (which is the process offered by CBCS) can certainly improve the grade of a module. Does the module have soiling, bends, or waviness? Then it should be pressed at submission.

I'll be on the lookout for your submission, can't wait to see it!

Active Collector

Post Posted: Fri Sep 29, 2023 11:19 am 

Tszii wrote in CGC Grading Etc...:

1. Frankly, yes.
2. Send your SW items (and all of your other modules for that matter) to CBCS. We do not remove the shrink when we grade the items and we provide an A+ to D- grade on the shrink itself as well.

PreviousNext