Melnibonean Passes
Author

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Jul 09, 2023 11:04 am 

From Alex Kammer on the Acaeum Facebook Page:

The Gamehole Con auction has become one of, if not the, premier collectors’ auction. This is due in large part to many of my collector friends who attend, donate, bid, and help run the auction.
No one has donated more valuable and sought after D&D rarities than my very dear friend, Scott Brand.
We lost Scott this past weekend and I am devastated. But leaving my deep personal loss aside, this is a tremendous loss for our community.
So, I wanted to let you all know, that going forward, the Gamehole Con auction will be known as: The Scott Brand Memorial Auction.
Thanks to all those who have offered their condolences and let us go forward and celebrate all of our great memories of Scott at this auction and anywhere else that we gather and celebrate the hobby that Scott so dearly loved.

Scott was Melnibonean on the Acaeum, and a longtime member here (since 2014). He was a very well respected collector and known for being just a really nice guy. I saw and talked to him at many cons, including Gamehole and North Texas. He supported the hobby in many ways, and was instrumental in getting the Hickman's Eye of the Dragon finally published after three decades. He donated quite a bit to both the Gamehole auction and the NTRPG con. The collectors among us know who he was and his footprint in this hobby. He will definitely be missed.

Mike B.

"THE MORE YOU THINK ABOUT WHY i DONE WHAT i DONE THE MORE i LAUGH" Cougar
"The Acaeum hates fun" Sir Allen
"I had a collecting emergency" Nogrod
Co-founder of the North Texas RPG Con
NTRPGCON

Sage Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sun Jul 09, 2023 1:51 pm 

Scott was truly a good soul.  He was very generous, and as Badmike mentioned, he donated many items to conventions and charitable events.  He was also very kind when it came to selling or trading, often not worrying about whether the sale or trade was equitable.  Scott loved to collect role-playing items, but his favorite items were mostly the older and very obscure/unique D&D-related products.  Without Scott's efforts, it's unlikely that Eye of the Dragon or Brimstone would have ever been completed by the Hickman's.

We had some really good times together.  He will be missed.  Prayers for his family.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Sun Jul 09, 2023 10:06 pm 

Sorry to hear that. I went to look at posts he had made in the past, & saw a bunch of usernames who have not visited in a while. How many of them are still with us?

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Jul 10, 2023 4:52 pm 

Sad to hear about Scott. He will be missed. I haven't seen him in years, probably since the last time he was at GaryCon. He always hit up our booth and buy up some rare items before Stato got the chance. :lol:

Available now from Die Cast Games: Night of the Black Swords by Allen Hammack (Author of C2-The Ghost Tower of Inverness) with artwork by Jeff Easley and Diesel.

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Jul 10, 2023 7:53 pm 

Well that stinks.  Bummer.   :(

Post number 3600.

Truth is worth finding and life is too short to work for money.

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Jul 10, 2023 8:11 pm 

Sorry to hear the news, too.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Jul 10, 2023 10:42 pm 

:(

Long-Winded Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Tue Jul 11, 2023 2:51 am 

Really sad! I remember him here as the first supporter of the two unpublished modules by Hickman/Weiss!

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jul 12, 2023 11:52 am 

I am very sorry to hear of Scott's passing and was shocked when I saw B. Barsh's post about it on Facebook.  Just to reiterate what the previous posters have said, Scott was a great guy and very kind and generous.  I had the privilege of staying at Scott's home on the two occasions the group got together for the Eye of the Dragon and Brimstone.  He will be sorely missed and my prayers are with his family.

Rabbit_67

Kill something, it will make you feel better.

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jul 12, 2023 4:35 pm 

aia wrote in Melnibonean Passes:Really sad! I remember him here as the first supporter of the two unpublished modules by Hickman/Weiss!

Those two adventures were exclusively done by Tracy Hickman to complete his five module story arc: Rahasia, Pharoah, Eye of the Dragon, Vampyr and Brimstone. It was very exciting that Scott asked me (and Mark & Jeff) to join him in bringing these to publication. Scott was a very generous man and his departure is a loss that has stunned me for 10 days. He loved our hobby and the history of the hobby. Alex Kammer has named the charity auction that is done on Saturday during Gamehole Con the "Scott Brand Memorial Auction". It is quite fitting as Scott donated a considerable amount to the auction every year as well as having donated to other cons over the years.

Shrink is not a condition

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Tue Jul 18, 2023 12:49 am 

I not sure that I really ever met Scott in person, but it seems unlikely to have not crossed paths with him at NTX, at some point.  That said, I've enjoyed interacting with him on the boards over the years.  He will be missed :(

Allan.

Allan Grohe ([email protected])
Greyhawk, grodog Style

Editor and Project Manager, Black Blade Publishing
https://www.facebook.com/BlackBladePublishing/

Verbose Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Jul 24, 2023 12:01 am 

:cry:

RPG’s, D&D in particular has had a major influence in my life. It’s bonded me together with life long friends...it’s that bond in life not just as friends, but in our jokes, our mannerisms, and what we find funny. Invincible Overlord

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Jul 24, 2023 8:37 am 

:cry: