Gygax Signature & Signature Verification
Author

Active Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jul 12, 2023 1:26 am 

As I said in private messages, this is my mess and my responsibility to clean up.  I also have nothing to do being up all night in NL due to sleeping from 2pm to 10pm when I got back monday.  Now I am in vampire mode.

I think you may have stumbled onto a decent low tech signature comparison technique.  When I laid out the books to photograph, i opened all to their tile page and looked for similar sigs(if I had 5 completely different ones I was in trouble no amount of photographs or disclaimers could fix).  The similarity was a comfort, and to me they are clearly not stamped, but signed(I could be off on this, I am no expert).  

However the forum had the opporunity to view them as pics with a frame/border and printed text to give scale not only in one photo but between photos.  This way of looking at them would help emphasize similarities in a way looking at pages themselves does not.  So using a camera or even your fingers as a constant sized frame would help in detecting similarities in scale.

I also really thought by posting "No COA" that I was saying these should be looked at as less valuable than an identical signed item authenticated by a third party.  I collected sports cards/autos for many years.  The best analogy I could make is Player X's signed jersey authenticated by PSA or BGS has a set market value range.  The same item, signed by the same player, the same way, collected at training camp is worth about the price of whatever they signed it on is to buy plus a few bucks based on believability.  And being completely forthright, I tended to avoid such items as a sports collector simply because there was always comparable stuff that was authneticated by 3rd party or manufacturer.  Unfortunately the authenticated market is nascent or non existent so far in D&D so I guess unauthenticated stuff sells closer to authenticated stuff(assuming there is any).  

That said, I am not sure how I stop someone from bidding the amount they personally value something given clear description and pictures.  I do try to be honest and provide pics showing condition or what I know about the item(which sometimes is very little).  In this odd case, both things seemingly came back to bite me somehow.

I actually suggested to another member the idea of me sending in the dmg I have with this sig type and a bunch of other gygax signed stuff I have to a 3rd party authenticator and see what comes back real and what comes back fake.  Best case scenario is they pick out the fake and this is solved.  But if they call it real and/or call a real one fake, then we would really be up shit's creek and its every man for himself when it comes to authentification of sigs.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jul 12, 2023 1:45 am 

On a completely unrelated/related topic....If you had asked me -  Do I think I have a questionable Gygax sig item? I would have said yes, but it is, or was, not any I sold.

I have a lejendary rules Author's edition that has the oddest, or possibly most assinine, Gygax sig and inscription.  It is signed by Gygax on the line as it should be and the sig looks real, but it is numbered
-49 in the number area (that hyphen is really there in the hand numbering).

And then the real head scratcher is where it is printed "of 1000 copies" he added "+ -49" such that it reads "of 1000 copies + -49" again with the distinctive hyphen before the 49.

Now I am pretty sure I have seen low numbered versions and they do not have hyphens( I had #69 of the very same book and I could have sworn there was no Hyphen or strange annotation).  And even if he did use hyphens for low numbers, why the need to annotate the of 1000 if that was his standard numbering format?

As far as I can tell, this means there are more than 1000 copies of this book, at least 1001, or potentially 1049 copies if numbers -1 to -48 also exist.

Either way it seems to invalidate every COA that came with the first 1000 copies or he was just on a real bender the day he signed #49.  I will try to take a photo of this odditiy as well next time I am home.

Previous