Daystar West Rahasia Research and Discovery!
Author

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Wed Mar 23, 2005 8:26 am 

i don`t own pharoah, but i`ll hunt down my rahasia and see what`s inside...

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Mar 24, 2005 6:28 pm 

Thanks Stratochamp, let us know what you find!!   :P

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat Mar 26, 2005 10:09 pm 

OK, I followed up with Tracy and have some more information/verification on Rahasia printings  :P :

To: a2jeff
Subject: Re:Daystar West Nightventures Rahasia Research
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dear Jeff;

>So far I've been able to track down 5 other folks that have a copy of Rahasia, and none of them have the version with the PO Box in Orem other than me. From your earlier comment, it sounds like your Orem address was an early one, and copies which don't list a specific address must have been printed after that?

(TRH) My best recollection is that the Orem PO box address was used in the first printing only. We securred the PO box in anticipation of using it as our business drop because there were no PO boxes available in Provo at the time and the Orem Post Office had just openned. The 834 E. 300 S. #7 address was the physical address of our first apartment -- the place where these adventures were written and hand assembled on our card table in our small kitchen area.

>Do you recall printing and selling any copies of Rahasia prior to when you had your PO box in Orem, that might not list your address?

(TRH) No. My recollection is that the Orem PO box indicates a first edition.

>As to Pharaoh, the folks I have checked with all have the following address listed:
>PHARAOH
>
>Copyright May 1980 by Tracy and Laura Hickman
>Daystar West Productions
>834 E. 300 S. #7; Provo, Utah 84601

(TRH) As noted above, this was the physical address of our apartment in Provo at the time.

>Because of the later copyright date, I'm assuming you lived in Provo after Orem?

(TRH) As noted above, we lived in at that one apartment address all through our stay in Provo, but initiallly used the box address for business. As it turned out, we didn't have enough business at the time to justify the PO box.

>Finally, do you recall selling any copies of Rahasia after you lived in Provo, which might explain the lack of address listed on most of the copies we've seen, and goes along with your earlier thought about taking the address off when you were moving around a lot?

(TRH) I seem to recall one printing while we were living in Logan, Utah -- our location after we moved from Provo -- though I cannot be certain. I'll check with Laura on this one.

Thoughts :?:   :?:   :?:

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sat Mar 26, 2005 11:03 pm 

My thoughts? Again, conclusions were jumped to as far as printing numbers on flimsy evidence.
I guess I'm just still a bit peeved at having MY research into PoVQ questioned.

If you hit a Rowsdower, you get to keep it.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat Mar 26, 2005 11:13 pm 

Give then man an Acaeum-Gold-Star. Excellent work on this Jeff, not only the discovery, but the follow up on the research is worthy of that above mentioned star.

As far as thoughts, the only thing that puzzling is…I wonder if there are any Rahasias with the same address as the Pharaoh? Because if not wouldn't that mean whatever the number of printings of Rahasia they all would have been printed/assembled from May 79 -- to before May 80? (Pharaoh, Copy Right) Make any sense? But I guess a few print runs for a few do-it-yourselfers would/could be common. Did you get a chance to ask about the covers? See if they were all printed at the same time?

"Its either a wand to cast Bigby's Hand spells or a +3 backscratcher. We're not sure which."

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat Mar 26, 2005 11:26 pm 

Frank,

Not to change the topic of this Thread, but someone challenged/upset you in someway over the PotVQ? It's nothing I said I hope? All of my research is Hypothetical and based on deduction.

At the end of last year I searched through your almost 1000 posts at that time for your research on the Palace. Maybe I'm stupid, but I just couldn't find it. I did Acaeum key-word searches and such, but still to no avail. If you could locate it and re-post it to the Bella Thread I'd love it and I'm sure a few others on the topic would like to read it as well. I think we're collectively close on solving the riddle of the printing order.

"Its either a wand to cast Bigby's Hand spells or a +3 backscratcher. We're not sure which."

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Mar 28, 2005 8:29 am 

invincibleoverlord wrote:As far as thoughts, the only thing that puzzling is…I wonder if there are any Rahasias with the same address as the Pharaoh? Because if not wouldn't that mean whatever the number of printings of Rahasia they all would have been printed/assembled from May 79 -- to before May 80? (Pharaoh, Copy Right) Make any sense?

Yes, that makes sense to me.   I'll see if I can get clarification.

invincibleoverlord wrote:Did you get a chance to ask about the covers? See if they were all printed at the same time?

Ahh, forgot sorry!  I will follow-up on this point with Tracy.  My guess is not all of them, because again my Copy 1 is uniformly 1/4 inch smaller in height.  I bet all the other printings were though.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Mon Mar 28, 2005 9:10 am 

It wasn't you, Vince. I'll search thru and try to find it.

If you hit a Rowsdower, you get to keep it.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Mar 28, 2005 9:26 am 

I bumped a couple of the newer ones a few days ago. I ll do it again. Some of the most recent stuff is in the "suggestions for the valuation board thread" and the other is in the most recent "printing of PotVQ" thread. Here are the links too if its easier:
http://www.acaeum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1844

acaeum.com/forum/posting.php?mode=reply ... amp;t=1701

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Apr 14, 2005 1:23 am 

Jeff,

Whatever came of this? Did Tracy ever mail you back? Lots of unanswered questions :roll:

It seems this way with a lot of research threads around here. We get hot on a discovery that would definitely change the Acaeum printing order/description and then it just seems fizzle out. Maybe we should but together a Research Team separate from the Valuation Board to better pursue these discoveries. Opinions?

BTW, I've still got no response from Brad Schenck i.e. Morno, on the Palace printing questions. I'm going to wait a few days then I'll try again.

Mike

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Apr 14, 2005 11:12 am 

IO, I've still got my questions in to Tracy and will ping him again.  I agree, I think we have enough right now to add some additional details to Rahasia and will formally ask Scott to adjust the information page  at the next site update.

Stratochamp is still looking for his copy, so we'll have another one to evaluate hopefully soon.

~Jeff

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Sep 15, 2005 3:45 pm 

Moved from the ebay thread.....good pickup Mike, you and Harami with the recent buyit now pickups.

invincibleoverlord wrote:8O *Looks to the above post* Nice! :D :D :D

Hmmm, located in Provo, Utah... not far from where it was printed either. Very cool! Enjoy....

And with the Provo address, I'll be very interested to see if it's the second 1st print discovered.  I've cataloged around 10 or 11 copies that are all the later printings.  Post what you find and the dimensions when you can.

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Thu Sep 15, 2005 3:59 pm 

a2jeff wrote:And with the Provo address, I'll be very interested to see if it's the second 1st print discovered. I've cataloged around 10 or 11 copies that are all the later printings.

Glad someone's keeping tabs! :)

Thanks, Jeff. More than I've seen, anyhow.

Definitely no dups in there? For example, the copy I've got is Jim's, first posted at Daystar West Rahasia Research and Discovery! • Collecting General •  The Acaeum

(Haven't seen him around here for some time :().

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Sep 15, 2005 5:57 pm 

harami2000 wrote:Glad someone's keeping tabs! :)

Thanks, Jeff. More than I've seen, anyhow.

Definitely no dups in there? For example, the copy I've got is Jim's, first posted at Daystar West Rahasia Research and Discovery! • Collecting General •  The Acaeum

(Haven't seen him around here for some time :().

I don't think so...this is from those that responded above, and emails/PMs from a few others.

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Thu Sep 15, 2005 6:20 pm 

a2jeff wrote:I don't think so...this is from those that responded above, and emails/PMs from a few others.

Good, good! :)

Short of having a proper registry/tracking for all the rares...

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Sep 17, 2005 3:32 pm 

Rahasia arrived today  :D

Despite the location, it is not a first print  :(

It measures 8 1/2 by 11 inches.

Has double sided pages 7/8 9/10 11/12 15/16 and 32/33.

Copyright page states:

RAHASIA

Copyright May 1979 by Daystar West Media Productions

ALL RIGHTS RESERVED

Has anyone found other differences to compare the later printing(s)?

Still very happy  :D  8)

Mike

Collector

Post Posted: Fri Dec 09, 2011 8:39 pm 

Just thought you'd want to know that the earliest versions of Rahasia have the simple copyright with no address.  We got the p o box at someone's suggestion and we closed it when we moved and were no longer printing Rahasia.

I found a copy in the basement this week and am toying with the idea of putting it on Ebay. -- Laura H  8)

It matters not how strait the gate how charged with punishments the scroll, I am the master of my fate, I captain of my soul. --Invictus

Active Collector

Post Posted: Fri Dec 09, 2011 8:56 pm 

I must say that I am mighty jealous of those who own the Daystar West printings of these two modules. Being as the TSR versions of these modules rank in my top five, with Pharaoh being my second favorite adventure, I would love to obtain copies of such. Unfortunately, being as I haven't the funds of a serious collector, such dreams will most likely never be made flesh. That being said, I still dream of finding a copy in a used bookstore or hobby store one of these days.

--Alphonso Warden

"Curses to those responsible for wrapping blackness in everlasting chains."

--WG4 Forgotten Temple of Tharizdun

PreviousNext