Nobleknight
Author

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Jun 15, 2023 12:07 pm 

Nobel Knight does a good job. They are a reputable business, and they grade appropriately. VG means a grade of 3.0-5.0.

But, ffs include a few more pictures for this.

** expired/removed eBay auction **

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jun 15, 2023 9:21 pm 

It blows my mind that they think they can list items at these price points with stock photos and so little information.

The whole "ask us if you need to know more" paradigm really puts me off.

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Thu Jun 15, 2023 10:31 pm 

Mordenkainen wrote in Nobleknight:It blows my mind that they think they can list items at these price points with stock photos and so little information.

The whole "ask us if you need to know more" paradigm really puts me off.

I believe anything over $600 and they show the actual item (which this auction states).  I know NK prices can sometimes be borderline absurd, but I I've never had a bad experience with them and I bought from Aaron when he was just an AOL account.  I know he's stepped back from the day to day operations but their reputation is still solid. I am also in the group of people who won't buy anything if a stock picture is being shown and not the actual item.

-SKA

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Fri Jun 16, 2023 12:22 am 

"Ebay is the worst form of market, until you consider the alternatives." -Winston Churchill, if Churchill had been a collector of vintage role-playing games

Most retailers would find the idea odd that every individual copy should get multiple photos from every angle. Maybe it would be better to try & describe the issue as one of feng shui, so that the average order-fulfilment worker can relate. We could try to explain to them how some signs of wear & tear on an item will evoke memories of childhood, & the careless abandon with which we once approached life. Other forms of damage to an item might be more inauspicious, perhaps evoking memories of pain & loss, or personal imitations which curb our potential even today in the foggy dotage of the collector's harsh path. They'll sympathize, I'm sure of it. Or you could just stick to Ebay.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Jun 16, 2023 11:14 am 

sauromatian wrote in Nobleknight:"Ebay is the worst form of market, until you consider the alternatives." -Winston Churchill, if Churchill had been a collector of vintage role-playing games

Most retailers would find the idea odd that every individual copy should get multiple photos from every angle. Maybe it would be better to try & describe the issue as one of feng shui, so that the average order-fulfilment worker can relate. We could try to explain to them how some signs of wear & tear on an item will evoke memories of childhood, & the careless abandon with which we once approached life. Other forms of damage to an item might be more inauspicious, perhaps evoking memories of pain & loss, or personal imitations which curb our potential even today in the foggy dotage of the collector's harsh path. They'll sympathize, I'm sure of it. Or you could just stick to Ebay.

Retail items have similarity. 40+ year old paper and cardboard? Not so much.  At $16,000 I think some pictures are a good idea.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Jun 16, 2023 11:24 am 

Sir Kill Alot wrote in Nobleknight:I believe anything over $600 and they show the actual item (which this auction states).

I appreciate you pointing this out, but the one photo is not remotely adequate. (Right? Am I crazy?)
Sir Kill Alot wrote in Nobleknight:I know NK prices can sometimes be borderline absurd,

To be clear, I'm not complaining about their prices - just the listing practices. They can charge what they like.
Sir Kill Alot wrote in Nobleknight:but I I've never had a bad experience with them and I bought from Aaron when he was just an AOL account.  I know he's stepped back from the day to day operations but their reputation is still solid.

I've heard this testimonial on the Acaeum in the past from others who have dealt with the owner(?) going way back.  That's great but at their current size, it's just not an appropriate way to do business.  
Sir Kill Alot wrote in Nobleknight:I am also in the group of people who won't buy anything if a stock picture is being shown and not the actual item.

Would you buy this woody off a listing with one picture?

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Fri Jun 16, 2023 2:27 pm 

Mordenkainen wrote in Nobleknight:Would you buy this woody off a listing with one picture?

I would not.  However, a serious buyer (one who is willing to part with $17k) would be having a much more exhaustive (private) conversation with the seller.  One that entailed detailed photos, packaging, insurance, and shipping/delivery instructions.  

-SKA

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Jun 16, 2023 3:30 pm 

I agree those details and terms should unambiguous before completing the transaction.  I just think it's super sketchy to require the buyer to ask for clarity on so many things.

Many of ebay's mechanisms and protections rely on properties of the listing. Defining those things in chat messages is asking for trouble.

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Fri Jun 16, 2023 7:13 pm 

I'd just drop in to eyeball it; they're half an hour north of me.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jun 22, 2023 9:25 pm 

Just ask them for photos.  I do it all the time with them.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat Jun 24, 2023 10:24 pm 

Nah. I'm good.