Actually... your opinion DOES still matter! Graded RPGs
Author

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Sun Aug 27, 2023 1:20 pm 

cstojano wrote in Actually... your opinion DOES still matter! Graded RPGs:I guess the question is whether these items are toys or comics?

There are toy graders? Maybe that's the solution to the recent discussions here, because comics/cards are a little different. Fewer moving parts. Games really are more like toys, due having multiple, physically separate parts to them.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Aug 27, 2023 1:23 pm 

cstojano wrote in Actually... your opinion DOES still matter! Graded RPGs:My 2 cents, am new to this forum. I just received my AFA 85 Against the Giants module back from Action Figure Authority who really made the market for graded toys back in the early 2000s. I went with them because they grade sealed items. In the toy world, sealed is key and the value dropoff is huge. There is little to no discussion of what is going on inside the box, its like grading the item makes the contents invisible to the known universe. There is also MUCh less discussion of sealed items being authentic because they rarely used shrink but instead boxes were taped (itself could be faked I suppose). The module looks great BUT it is quite heavy and also very expensive to get graded.

I guess the question is whether these items are toys or comics? Or, stated differently, how will the graded market develop, along which collectible pedigree? Personally, since grading is a form of neurosis the idea of mixing AFA and CGC/CBCS cases would drive me nuts. Are the comic grading companies considering also grading the expert/basic boxed sets?

My 2 cents on shrink, I would never remove it myself and wouldn't send it in to be removed by a grader. The reason is that I am collecting these old things in "store shelf condition" to sort of relive that time when I was nine and walked into a hobby shop to see the brand new product. Whether staples are rusted in the centerfold isn't relevant to me. Its the outer appearance that matters. Back to the toy analogy, if a toy's sticker sheet was peeling and yellowed/dried inside a sealed box I wouldn't care. I wouldn't know.

CGC grades them as magazines, but yea, they are pretty much like comics. Staple rust matters to comic collectors. Its true, if you cant see it, I guess it doesnt matter. But people do want to know. CBCS is grading shrink wrapped items, but like AFA, they are grading the seal, not the item. CBCS is also grading the supplements, so thats cool. I imagine CGC, and CBCS are going to start looking for ways to scale their cases as needed like AFA. CGC is the premier comic grader. CBCS is going to own the supplement grading for now since CGC doesent do them - at least they havent responded to my email or post to their reddit sub etc.

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sun Aug 27, 2023 1:25 pm 

cstojano wrote in Actually... your opinion DOES still matter! Graded RPGs:My 2 cents on shrink, I would never remove it myself and wouldn't send it in to be removed by a grader. The reason is that I am collecting these old things in "store shelf condition" to sort of relive that time when I was nine and walked into a hobby shop to see the brand new product....

I also have this mentality however I believe this type of thinking will wane gradually with the next generation of collectors.  The nostalgia of walking into a store and seeing stuff wrapped may be lost for a lot of the kids today in the age of Amazon, EBay, PDF's and on demand printing.

-SKA

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Sun Aug 27, 2023 1:39 pm 

Sir Kill Alot wrote in Actually... your opinion DOES still matter! Graded RPGs:The nostalgia of walking into a store and seeing stuff wrapped may be lost for a lot of the kids today in the age of Amazon

I never thought of that, but I think you're right. Items on Amazon are usually shown without the packaging at all. When we were kids, we'd see an item in stores in the packaging a few times before saving up enough allowance money to buy it. A child who picks out a toy on Amazon will only see the packaging briefly upon opening it.

Then again, sometimes children are more interested in playing with the box than the toy, & adult collectors are no different. Maybe kids today will grow up to feel nostalgia about vintage Amazon packing material, & will pay top dollar for particular bits of bubblewrap that everyone throws away now.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Aug 27, 2023 1:56 pm 

Badmike wrote in Actually... your opinion DOES still matter! Graded RPGs:

Definitely, I'll post pics of everything when I get them back.

BTW, saw some high graded non-rares (slabbed) go for decent prices this week. Sadly most of my personal collection is of the "played with" variety.

** eBay auction listing blocked.  Please enable cookies in your browser for this site and for eBay! **

Active Collector

Post Posted: Sun Aug 27, 2023 5:53 pm 

Tszii wrote in Actually... your opinion DOES still matter! Graded RPGs:
CGC grades them as magazines, but yea, they are pretty much like comics. Staple rust matters to comic collectors. Its true, if you cant see it, I guess it doesnt matter. But people do want to know. CBCS is grading shrink wrapped items, but like AFA, they are grading the seal, not the item. CBCS is also grading the supplements, so thats cool. I imagine CGC, and CBCS are going to start looking for ways to scale their cases as needed like AFA. CGC is the premier comic grader. CBCS is going to own the supplement grading for now since CGC doesent do them - at least they havent responded to my email or post to their reddit sub etc.

I don't think AFA just looks at the seal. Its not like any damage to the underlying box is completely obscured. I would pull a grading report from AFA but alas they charge way too much for them (you'd think they would be free since you are paying over 100 dollars to get something graded).

Active Collector

Post Posted: Sun Aug 27, 2023 5:56 pm 

Sir Kill Alot wrote in Actually... your opinion DOES still matter! Graded RPGs:
I also have this mentality however I believe this type of thinking will wane gradually with the next generation of collectors.  The nostalgia of walking into a store and seeing stuff wrapped may be lost for a lot of the kids today in the age of Amazon, EBay, PDF's and on demand printing.

-SKA

Yeah this may be true. For old folks the packaging is often the huge draw. There's a reason they employed full color artists for covers after all. Its all about the packaging to me (and a lot of toy collectors) because let's face it what's inside often pales in comparison to what is promised on the package :)  For RPGs, however, the nostalgia may be in the game itself. Should be interesting to watch this market unfold. Shall I mention the concept of grading the old lead miniatures? I have a beautiful sealed box of old DnD minis with classic John Blanche art but I am certain the minis inside have succumbed to lead rot based on the sound.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Tue Sep 12, 2023 10:25 am 

CBCS just sent an email announcing their grading of RPG materials. I don't have an account so can't see the particulars, but the marketing images look like sealed modules. Has this been confirmed?

Active Collector

Post Posted: Tue Sep 12, 2023 1:45 pm 

cstojano wrote in Actually... your opinion DOES still matter! Graded RPGs:CBCS just sent an email announcing their grading of RPG materials. I don't have an account so can't see the particulars, but the marketing images look like sealed modules. Has this been confirmed?

CBCS announced they are grading books if they are in the shrink and the shrink itself will revive an A+ to D grade, as well as the book itself being graded.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Sep 12, 2023 3:48 pm 

It looks like they are grading OD&D supplements and similar sized books as well.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Sep 12, 2023 6:21 pm 

I’m curious about where the oversight will come from to prevent market manipulation (akin to what has happened in video game collecting these past few years).  

As far as I’m concerned, once grading companies swoop into a hobby under the guise of “collector friendly assistance in terms of condition checking”, then best case, that hobby becomes subject to an investor feeding frenzy (which of course creates unsustainable price jumps and will inevitably choke the “regular” collector out), worst case, becomes corrupt when investors begin to manipulate grade scarcity and supply.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Sep 12, 2023 10:57 pm 

Skullhammer wrote in Actually... your opinion DOES still matter! Graded RPGs:I’m curious about where the oversight will come from to prevent market manipulation (akin to what has happened in video game collecting these past few years).  

As far as I’m concerned, once grading companies swoop into a hobby under the guise of “collector friendly assistance in terms of condition checking”, then best case, that hobby becomes subject to an investor feeding frenzy (which of course creates unsustainable price jumps and will inevitably choke the “regular” collector out), worst case, becomes corrupt when investors begin to manipulate grade scarcity and supply.

Boom, bust, speculation and manipulation do detract from the hobby. Kids couldn't get their weekly sports card or pokemon pack with mom and dad because other adults were clearing the shelves to sell on ebay in 2020-2021. And you are right, collecting video games was wrecked for long-time collectors for a while.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Wed Sep 13, 2023 9:58 am 

I have a lng time collecting buddy who i am sure has grown tired of me sending random auction links to with a "are people this insane" comment attached to it. I continue to be amazed at what people are paying for graded VHS tapes. I followed loosely the video game grading scandal youtube videos. Perhaps in the beginning there were shenanigans to build hype around a market but its hard to see the mass of graded games now selling for high dollars and think its all built on fraud. Someone is buying into it. Graded RPGs may well fizzle out. Long time collectors will be pleased, no doubt. But from the outside this area was so ripe for this I am shocked it took this long.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Sep 13, 2023 9:35 pm 

cstojano wrote in Actually... your opinion DOES still matter! Graded RPGs:I have a lng time collecting buddy who i am sure has grown tired of me sending random auction links to with a "are people this insane" comment attached to it. I continue to be amazed at what people are paying for graded VHS tapes. I followed loosely the video game grading scandal youtube videos. Perhaps in the beginning there were shenanigans to build hype around a market but its hard to see the mass of graded games now selling for high dollars and think its all built on fraud. Someone is buying into it. Graded RPGs may well fizzle out. Long time collectors will be pleased, no doubt. But from the outside this area was so ripe for this I am shocked it took this long.

Intellectual properties seem to make durable collectables. Marvel, Pokemon, Star Wars, can continue to make new products, movies, whatever, that new people enjoy. They can then start to collect the older stuff. Old PCs, VHS, all sorts of video games, are just categories. Is the NFL and MLB an IP? Of course people seem to collect everything which I think is kinda cool.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Sep 16, 2023 10:06 pm 

Tszii wrote in Actually... your opinion DOES still matter! Graded RPGs:

This looked familiar. :) I was hoping you would get your price. I hope they get their price too. :)

** eBay auction listing blocked.  Please enable cookies in your browser for this site and for eBay! **

Not me, just got me stuff back this week.

Mike B.

"THE MORE YOU THINK ABOUT WHY i DONE WHAT i DONE THE MORE i LAUGH" Cougar
"The Acaeum hates fun" Sir Allen
"I had a collecting emergency" Nogrod
Co-founder of the North Texas RPG Con
NTRPGCON

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Apr 06, 2024 5:36 pm 

This does look good, and safe.

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sat Apr 06, 2024 8:09 pm 

Is the SW graded as B-  or 8-?  Its hard to make out in the picture.  Not fully up on grading but 8.5 is pretty good right?

-SKA

Sage Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sat Apr 06, 2024 9:25 pm 

8.5 is VF+, which is pretty good from a grading standpoint.

I believe they use an alpha system for grading SW.  I'm not sure if they disclose that anywhere on their site, though.

Badmike's shorting himself on this one in his description.

PreviousNext