Actually... your opinion DOES still matter! Graded RPGs
Author

Active Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jun 07, 2023 2:18 pm 

Greetings Acaeum,

My name is Brian and I am a comic and magazine grader at CBCS, as well as a long time RPG hobbyist and collector.

What is CBCS? It seems most of you know what CGC is, we are their primary competitor. CBCS is wholly owned by Beckett, a name many of you will recognize for card grading and price guides.
https://www.cbcscomics.com/

I’ve been working with our executive and grading team to bring grading to the RPG hobby. I brought a few prototype graded modules to the North Texas RPG con this weekend to show around to a few dealers and guests and the response was very positive.

When we enter this space we want to do it RIGHT, and we want to make sure we are giving collector and dealers what they want and need.

So... Why CBCS?
1.        Your submitted modules will be assessed and graded by real hobbyists who just happen to be trained professional graders. There are 3 of us on the grading team for this project and between us we have over 90 years of collecting experience (yes, we are old).

2.        Modules will be assessed for completeness, including all inserts. Yes, we know that Q1 has a cardstock map insert, and that I12 has 2 booklets. We also know to double check these things when assessing a module. Labels will indicate any insert, like the graded Q1 example “Includes map insert”.

3.        Grading scale is .1 to 10.
a.        We expect that 10’s will be absolute unicorns and that, given the age of books likely being submitted that even a 9.8 will be very, very rare.

4.        Grading Notes: There is a QR code on the back of the label that you can scan to see the grader’s notes. We put notes on every book that is a 9.6 or lower so you will know WHY the book received the grade that it did. You can also search our website for the label number to get this info.

Examples:
a.        Q1: https://www.cbcscomics.com/grading-notes/23-1EB31DA-001
b.        Moonlight madness:https://www.cbcscomics.com/grading-notes/23-1E4F7B3-002
c.        I5:  https://www.cbcscomics.com/grading-notes/23-1E4F7B3-001

5.        The current price for magazine tier (where these would fall) is $25 per book. The current Turnaround Time is (TAT) is 30 business days with a MONEY BACK GUARANTEE if we are late.

6.        SIGNATURES: Our company is unique in the grading space for offering VSP (verified signature program). If you have modules you previously had signed by a creator, those signatures can now be “VSP’d” through our partnership with Beckett Authentication Services (BAS). These modules would receive a yellow label instead of a blue label.
a.        WITNESSED signatures: if an authorized witness or employee is present when your book is signed you are eligible to receive a “witnessed signature” yellow label when your books is encapsulated. The Q1 pictured was signed at the NTXRPG con on Thursday and graded/ encapsulated on Friday to bring to the show.

7.        Labels: Please check out the examples and let us know what you think of the information on the label. I think we have it “right”, but maybe we missed something.

STILL TO BE DECIDED
This is where we need your help and I invite all comments and suggestions:

SHRINKWRAP – a big one
Current thoughts:
1.        Remove the shrinkwrap and grade the book so we can check the contents and interior (nobody wants this, I know).

2.        Notate that a module is shrinkwrapped on the label and grade the book with the shrinkwrap intact (like Moonlight Madness example).
       NOTE: if the shrinkwrap is not authentic we will reject the book and will not grade it.

3.        Assess the shrinkwrap for authenticity and assign a separate grade to the wrap.
       Grading would be: “Module 9.4, Authentic Wrap A-“ .
       Wrap grading is on an A+ to D scale, wrap grading will follow the same standards as our VHS tape grading division.
       Wraps will be noted as “Authentic” or “Not Authentic”.

Grading modules with missing inserts

In comics if a page is missing the book receives a grade of 0.5.

Option 1:
If the module is missing any page or insert it will receive a grade of .5 since missing a single map, handout, or counter affects the playability of the module.

Option 2:
A missing insert will be evaluated to determine the impact on playability and a grade deduction will be assigned based on this:

Examples:
The punch card for DL9 is missing a single chit: Since this barely affects the playability of the module, but is still a missing piece, we would start the grade at an 8 and then deduct for any further defects.

The punch card for DL9 is completely missing: Since this would significantly affect the playability of the module we would start this grade at a 5.0 and then deduct for any further defects.

The card stock map from I4 is missing: This dramatically impacts the ability to use this module and grading would start at a 2 and then deduct for any further defects.

NOTE: These “starting grades” are not written in stone and will be evaluated and determined by the team as we receive submissions with missing pieces.

I invite any and all feedback this group may have and look forward to hearing from you!

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jun 07, 2023 4:02 pm 

While I’m still not sure this is for me, thank you for posting, soliciting opinions, and helping me understand a bit more!

I think your single-tier pricing and turnaround time are much more attractive :)

I draw the line at collecting... D&D beach towels.

Shoulda been: ".. from Pangreenia to Floratopolis, from mystical Treeonia of spectral Forests to Schruborial dimensions." - The Forests of Leng

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jun 07, 2023 5:04 pm 

Hi Brian,
My name is William Meinhardt. I was at the NTRPG Con but I did not see you there. Ironically several people came up to me to have items appraised, but you were not amongst them. :-)
You may or may not know, but i have what is probably the largest (by number of different items) FRP collection known. I have been actively collecting since 1978. I welcome the professional grading process as believe it will enrich our hobby. When I have a little more time I will respond more fully to your post, but I will offer two comments now. Firstly, the concept of grading an item without removing the shrinkwrap I think is absurd. I have copies of items from 1978 (and earlier) in original shrinkwrap. But I "know" it is original shrinkwrap because I bought the collection of Brian Blume, one of the owners of TSR. I would think that if you validated something as original shrinkwrap that turned out not to be, it would be devastating for your business, calling into question those prior determinations. Even if the shrinkwrap is "original", some smaller items could still be missing. Or the module could have been resealed. It seems to me you folks have to make 100% sure items are complete and undamaged inside (checking for mold and staple rust as well). I just don't see how not removing the shrinkwrap is even an option.
Secondly, if anything is missing at all from a module, the module could not have better than a good grade. If counters are punched the module can't have better than a good grade. This I will admit is more my aesthetic opinion. I will be curious as to what others think.

Shrink is not a condition

Active Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jun 07, 2023 6:12 pm 

Hey William,
I heard your name bandied about several times as I was "making the rounds" including your tag line of "shrinkwrap is not a condition", sorry I missed you!

Your shrinkwrap comments are well noted and definitely something we are taking into consideration. Obviously if we go with grading items in the wrap, we will not be checking for mold or rust at the centerfold (if the book has exterior staples we will check this obviously).

If something is missing from an original shrinkwrapped item that will be because of a manufacturing issue. Just like if you buy a SW item on the secondary market now, there is no guarantee that it is 100% complete, or that it has yellowed pages from poor storage.

Generally we agree that SW is not a grade, there are thousands of examples of books in SW that are FAR from NM, but we also want to work within the hobby to give collectors and dealers what they want from us.

We DO believe that a book in SW can have a grade, and that you can give a grade the SW itself.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jun 07, 2023 6:14 pm 

Thunderdave wrote in Actually... your opinion DOES still matter! Graded RPGs:While I’m still not sure this is for me, thank you for posting, soliciting opinions, and helping me understand a bit more!

I think your single-tier pricing and turnaround time are much more attractive :)

To be fair you can pay more for expedited grading if you're really in a hurry.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Jun 07, 2023 7:40 pm 

1. Its about time! Beckett is well known, glad to hear it, I hope the marketing budget to get the word out is larger than the cost of the post. :)

2. I see what you did there, with the subject title. Clever. :)

3. I recommend following my experience of listening to stratochamp and ExTSR and others.

4. Take everything I say with heavy skepticism, save for #3.

5. Reread #3.

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Wed Jun 07, 2023 9:40 pm 

Interesting... The CBCS slabs look smaller (thinner) to me or are they the same size as the CGC ones?

-SKA

Sage Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Wed Jun 07, 2023 10:40 pm 

SHRINKWRAP – a big one
Current thoughts:
1. Remove the shrinkwrap and grade the book so we can check the contents and interior (nobody wants this, I know).

2. Notate that a module is shrinkwrapped on the label and grade the book with the shrinkwrap intact (like Moonlight Madness example).
   NOTE: if the shrinkwrap is not authentic we will reject the book and will not grade it.

3. Assess the shrinkwrap for authenticity and assign a separate grade to the wrap.
   Wrap grading is on an A+ to D scale, wrap grading will follow the same standards as our VHS tape grading division.

You've received some good input already, and will likely receive some more.  Here's my initial input on SW:

1. Remove the shrinkwrap and grade the book so we can check the contents and interior (nobody wants this, I know).

Should be an option for the person, possibly with the book reinserted into the SW after being graded, if desired.  Yes, it would have been opened, but it would be noted that the SW was only removed to grade the book.  After all, one of the main reasons that original SW is desirable is that the book has been untouched.  After grading and slabbing, it would still be essentially untouched, except for grading, which would have been done in the best way possible to avoid adversely affecting the item.  It could also allow for additional steps such as pressing and cleaning, which can still be needed.

This might turn out to be a whole new category for collecting, perhaps even more desirable than SW, since the SW would no longer be potentially affecting the book adversely, and the book's grade could potentially be improved.

2. Notate that a module is shrinkwrapped on the label and grade the book with the shrinkwrap intact (like Moonlight Madness example).

I prefer the prior option of removing the SW, but if the book is to be graded this way, it would clearly be a different grading category, since the interior of the book could not be authenticated and graded completely.  In some cases, this could obscure serious issues, as others have mentioned.  This is why there are those within our collecting community that aren't particularly fond of shrink-wrapped items, since the condition is not really known 100%.

In the case of non-original SW, it would be best to inform the person requesting the grading service so they have the option of removing the aftermarket SW and having it graded without it.  You would probably have to tread lightly here, at least initially, because there can be some gray areas with what is original vs. aftermarket SW, and as was mentioned, you could create issues for your company.  I realize that you take this risk with everything you grade, because you are also certifying that the item is authentic and intact/complete (unless noted that it is not).

3. Assess the shrinkwrap for authenticity and assign a separate grade to the wrap.

This is fine and helps to address #2.  It should also apply if the SW is removed for grading, but retained.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jun 08, 2023 8:23 am 

Sir Kill Alot wrote in Actually... your opinion DOES still matter! Graded RPGs:Interesting... The CBCS slabs look smaller (thinner) to me or are they the same size as the CGC ones?

-SKA

Here are a couple of videos reviewing our magazine slabs. essentially these things are absolute bricks, and much, much sturdier than anything else on the market.

CBCS' New Magazine Case: First Look - YouTube

CBCS New Magazine Slab Review! - YouTube

Sage Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Thu Jun 08, 2023 10:37 am 

I want to echo some of what has been said about shrinkwrap.

I don't see how any company which is serious about assessing the condition of a printed item (book, comic or game) can do so without actually looking inside the covers. We all know that sealing an item in plastic isn't a guarantee against mould, or staple rust (these are caused by how it is stored over the years). As a collector, I am not sure I would trust any such rating, just as when I look to buy an item on ebay which is in shrinkwrap I know that it might still have issues from being stored in a warm humid attic etc.. And to a large extent, trust is what people are buying when they send a book or game for third-party grading.

Moreover I don't think that is a problem. People will still value shrinkwrapped modules. And they will still send items for grading.  :)

Let's go fly a kite
Up to the highest height!

Active Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jun 08, 2023 12:01 pm 

red_bus wrote in Actually... your opinion DOES still matter! Graded RPGs:I want to echo some of what has been said about shrinkwrap.

I don't see how any company which is serious about assessing the condition of a printed item (book, comic or game) can do so without actually looking inside the covers. We all know that sealing an item in plastic isn't a guarantee against mould, or staple rust (these are caused by how it is stored over the years). As a collector, I am not sure I would trust any such rating, just as when I look to buy an item on ebay which is in shrinkwrap I know that it might still have issues from being stored in a warm humid attic etc.. And to a large extent, trust is what people are buying when they send a book or game for third-party grading.

Moreover I don't think that is a problem. People will still value shrinkwrapped modules. And they will still send items for grading.  :)

Fair points, and this is where our initial thoughts led us.

Most people I talked to at NTX wanted us to have some sort of grading option with SW.

Thank you so much for the feedback.

Sage Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Thu Jun 08, 2023 12:30 pm 

dosselmeyer wrote in Actually... your opinion DOES still matter! Graded RPGs:
Thank you so much for the feedback.

No problem. And kudos for coming to this community in such a positive and constructive manner. We are of course a mixed bunch, with a wide range of (sometimes) conflicting views. As a result, it is (as I suspect you already know) unlikely that everyone will endorse your decision. But whatever you end up doing, I am sure it will add value here. So all the best of luck with your endeavours  :)

Let's go fly a kite
Up to the highest height!

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jun 08, 2023 3:21 pm 

What about removing the shrink wrap to grade the item, and then noting as an additional description that the item was in the original shrink wrap before grading.  The item will then be protected in the plastic case.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Jun 08, 2023 5:56 pm 

ddt58 wrote in Actually... your opinion DOES still matter! Graded RPGs:What about removing the shrink wrap to grade the item, and then noting as an additional description that the item was in the original shrink wrap before grading.  The item will then be protected in the plastic case.

This is interesting. I wonder if you could provide a branded thing that allowed the shrink to be reapplied under a guarantee?

(perhaps you could do something cool like putting photos/videos of the opening in a vault online - thus trying to maintain the value and ensuring that people could check the process)

Also this is probably in the long term best interest of some items where the SW is bending the module contained therein.

I'd probably have a couple things I'd send for that.

Even though it'd probably reduce the value on the open market - your guarantee that it was in shrink and has been preserved might cover half the difference or more to unshrinkwrapped. As your reputation solidified in the space the closer you could close the gap.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jun 08, 2023 6:27 pm 

CGC does not grade sealed by manufacturer poly-bagged comics. Such as the 3-pack bundles in the 80s. They require you to send it in out of the bag or give written consent for them to remove it from the bag.

So IMO shrink is not a condition. If in shrink item should be removed and graded as such

Sage Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Thu Jun 08, 2023 7:26 pm 

Grading modules with missing inserts

Input on missing components/pages:

Option 1:
If the module is missing any page or insert it will receive a grade of .5 since missing a single map, handout, or counter affects the playability of the module.

I agree with this, but applying a comic book grade of .5 might be a bit harsh.  From an Acaeum standpoint, missing components are a major defect, so the grade can usually be no better than Fair, which translates to a 2.25 on a scale of 1-10.

It might be worth considering a separate label for items like this, like the CGC Qualified Label (Green).  It would be good to have for rarer items that have a major flaw or defect (like a missing page), but are otherwise in really good condition.

Option 2:
A missing insert will be evaluated to determine the impact on playability and a grade deduction will be assigned based on this:

Examples:
The punch card for DL9 is missing a single chit: Since this barely affects the playability of the module, but is still a missing piece, we would start the grade at an 8 and then deduct for any further defects.  

The punch card for DL9 is completely missing: Since this would significantly affect the playability of the module we would start this grade at a 5.0 and then deduct for any further defects.

The card stock map from I4 is missing: This dramatically impacts the ability to use this module and grading would start at a 2 and then deduct for any further defects.

I don't support this for officially included/required content, as it's too subjective.  If a separate label was available for incomplete items, as previously mentioned, maybe.  The only case where this might be okay is with non-essential items, like advertising or miscellaneous inserts or flyers.  In those examples, they are not part of the core item, so there could be a deduction if they are missing, or they could be ignored, since they aren't actually part of the product.

If boxed sets were to be graded, I could see a deduction, if non-applicable inserts/flyers, crayons, or possibly even dice were missing.  If chits or pages are separated, damaged, torn etc. but included, those issues should certainly impact the grade.  The condition of the dice could also come into play for boxed sets.

Regardless of what the final conclusions are for missing components/pages, noting defects on the label or in the notes is absolutely necessary.  This should following comic grading standards.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jun 08, 2023 8:31 pm 

MegaTherion wrote in Actually... your opinion DOES still matter! Graded RPGs:CGC does not grade sealed by manufacturer poly-bagged comics. Such as the 3-pack bundles in the 80s. They require you to send it in out of the bag or give written consent for them to remove it from the bag.

So IMO shrink is not a condition. If in shrink item should be removed and graded as such

We also do not grade polybagged comics. Polybags obscure large parts, if not all, of a comic.  Also they are typically much larger than the comic themselves making them unwieldy to put in a slab.

We are considering alternatives since neither of these disqualifiers apply to RPG modules, but it is only a consideration.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jun 08, 2023 8:35 pm 

regardless of what the final conclusions are for missing components/pages, noting defects on the label or in the notes is absolutely necessary.  This should following comic grading standards.

Thanks for the feedback, our labels will list out any inserts that are SUPPOSED to be there, and will also single out any that are missing. See the Q1 slab in my original post where it says "Includes map insert".

If the insert was missing it would instead say: Map insert missing. INCOMPLETE.

The notes would be more specific like: cardstock map insert missing, INCOMPLETE.

Next