CGC Grading
Author

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu May 18, 2023 12:51 pm 

The "Fast Track" option has been added to CGC Grading. Prices are also cheaper - sort of.

Its $25 per module, plus shipping to them, and $45 for return shipping if you just want them slabbed and graded. It will cost about $300 to grade 10 modules and about 3 months to receive them back for now.

You can include fast track for $15 more each. So $450 to get them back in about two weeks.

I am sending in five more modules using "Fast Track." I am going to include "pressing" which can remove dirt and remove non-color breaking creases for $15 per module. However, "Pressing" doubles the cost of "Fast Track." So, $25 per module, plus $15 for pressing and $30 for "Fast Track." So $75 per module, plus shipping to them and $45 for return shipping equals about $450 for five modules. It can get expensive quick.

I am also sending in my newly unwrapped S1, solo, without pressing.

Nothing moves in a straight line, and I am currently a little less optimistic about grading in general. Ill follow up when I get the new batch back.

Edit: Changed my mind. I only sent off the S1. I may send the other five in once I get it back.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Last edited by Tszii on Fri May 19, 2023 5:56 am, edited 2 times in total.

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Thu May 18, 2023 1:01 pm 

How are they establishing the max value of the item?

-SKA

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu May 18, 2023 2:17 pm 

Good question. You determine the value when you send them in. You are asked to be honest.

Lots of card collectors used to submit everything under bulk, like a $5 grading fee, pre 2020/2021. Some folks still try. But as of 2021 they have been up-charging if they catch it. 2020 caused the lead times on cards to go from weeks to years.

A youtuber, graded gem, has talked about folks who would brag about getting away with it, or complaining even though they clearly submitted a $3000 card, but on the whole, Ive only heard of up-charging happening when its drastic and obvious. I haven't heard of anyone calling foul, but its possible. Hi foul! :)

Folks have said more expensive cards provide more liability so they charge more. Yes, CGC and PSA have damaged cards. OMG!

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Thu May 18, 2023 3:18 pm 

Thanks Tszii. Why should it matter what the ‘perceived’ value of an item is when it comes to grading?  Does a $10 item get graded by a lowly intern but the $5,000 one goes to a person who knows what they are doing?  Does more research go into the grading effort based on it, or is it another avenue to bilk the submitter?  

Im not trying to be argumentative, but maybe a little big brotherish.  Unless the items you are submitting are highly in demand, $90 bucks per item graded ($450 for 5 items) will literally put you underwater with a vast majority of them (at today’s prices).  Maybe I’m way off base with my rationale and need to be reeled in a bit.

-SKA

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu May 18, 2023 4:58 pm 

I dont really know why graders have different service levels.

I think its likely they want to make as much money as they can but dont want to price people like me out of grading a card pulled from a Pokemon pack I just bought at Target. Its not much of a scale. Max $400, Max $1000 and sky is the limit?

I think graded gem has said there is just more liability in handling, storing and grading some items that are supper expensive. Most cards and comics do have largely established "market" values. I cant imagine what their underwriters said why they had a two year back log of cards. Relatively speaking, DnD prices are all over the place.

Site Admin

Post Posted: Thu May 18, 2023 5:49 pm 

CGC reached out to us a few months ago to ask some questions about an item.  During the discussion they said they've been using The Acaeum indexes as a pricing guide.  For what it's worth.

Foul

Active Collector

Post Posted: Thu May 18, 2023 7:04 pm 

FoulFoot wrote in CGC Grading:CGC reached out to us a few months ago to ask some questions about an item.  During the discussion they said they've been using The Acaeum indexes as a pricing guide.  For what it's worth.

Foul

They were using the indexes as a pricing guide? CGC assigns values to graded items now? Interesting, I didn't know that. I always had to declare a FMV of any comic I submitted. But that's been awhile ago.

Out of curiosity what item did they contact to inquire about

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu May 18, 2023 7:26 pm 

FoulFoot wrote in CGC Grading:CGC reached out to us a few months ago to ask some questions about an item.  During the discussion they said they've been using The Acaeum indexes as a pricing guide.  For what it's worth.

Foul

That's encouraging I think. Right? Were they intelligent questions?

These are the modules they have listed so far btw. You can still submit others for grading. These are just part of their database.

TSR Hobbies Inc. Advanced Dungeons & Dragons: Module #A4 1981
TSR Hobbies Inc. Advanced Dungeons & Dragons: Module #C2 1980 Fifth Printing
TSR Hobbies Inc. Advanced Dungeons & Dragons: Module #C5 1985
TSR Hobbies Inc. Advanced Dungeons & Dragons: Module #D2 1978
TSR Hobbies Inc. Advanced Dungeons & Dragons: Module #D3 1978
TSR Hobbies Inc. Advanced Dungeons & Dragons: Module #D3 1980 Seventh Printing
TSR Hobbies Inc. Advanced Dungeons & Dragons: Module #EX1 1983
TSR Hobbies Inc. Advanced Dungeons & Dragons: Module #G1 1978
TSR Hobbies Inc. Advanced Dungeons & Dragons: Module #G1-2-3 1981
TSR Hobbies Inc. Advanced Dungeons & Dragons: Module #G1-2-3 1981 Fourth Printing
TSR Hobbies Inc. Advanced Dungeons & Dragons: Module #G1-2-3 1981 Third Printing
TSR Hobbies Inc. Advanced Dungeons & Dragons: Module #G2 1978
TSR Hobbies Inc. Advanced Dungeons & Dragons: Module #G3 1978
TSR Hobbies Inc. Advanced Dungeons & Dragons: Module #I6 1983
TSR Hobbies Inc. Advanced Dungeons & Dragons: Module #N4 1986
TSR Hobbies Inc. Advanced Dungeons & Dragons: Module #Q1 1980
TSR Hobbies Inc. Advanced Dungeons & Dragons: Module #Q1 1980 Fourth Printing
TSR Hobbies Inc. Advanced Dungeons & Dragons: Module #S1 1978
TSR Hobbies Inc. Advanced Dungeons & Dragons: Module #S1 1978 Second Printing
TSR Hobbies Inc. Advanced Dungeons & Dragons: Module #S1 1981 Fifth Printing
TSR Hobbies Inc. Advanced Dungeons & Dragons: Module #S1 1981 Sixth Printing
TSR Hobbies Inc. Advanced Dungeons & Dragons: Module #S2 1979
TSR Hobbies Inc. Advanced Dungeons & Dragons: Module #T1 1979
TSR Hobbies Inc. Advanced Dungeons & Dragons: Module #U3 1983

And DL7 I believe.

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Thu May 18, 2023 7:38 pm 

Are half of those yours?   :lol:

i guess you need to create an account with them to gain access... Ugh.

-SKA

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu May 18, 2023 8:05 pm 

Sir Kill Alot wrote in CGC Grading:Are half of those yours?   :lol:

i guess you need to create an account with them to gain access... Ugh.

-SKA

The list is missing a B9, B5 and I11. They did not have a database when I created my order, so its good to see the list grow.

Sage Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Tue May 23, 2023 10:14 pm 

I noticed that this listing popped up in the Classifieds "Class 4 & 5 Rares Currently on eBay" thread:

** eBay auction listing blocked.  Please enable cookies in your browser for this site and for eBay! **

I suppose this is an item that would be more appropriate for CGC grading.

It's interesting to see how it was graded.  The notation "Frank Mentzer text" is curious to me, though.  Does that mean that it has notations from Frank, or is it general commentary?  The seller's description seems to indicate that there are note and marks in it?

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue May 23, 2023 10:39 pm 

I dont know what text refers to. I know it needs to be signed in front of CGC people to be authenticated as a signature, so its not that. Btw, CGC is organizing signings from a lots of folks, more signature series grading for them. Who wants to meet Frank is Sarasota FL? Besides me? :)

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Tue May 23, 2023 11:59 pm 

dbartman wrote in CGC Grading:I noticed that this listing popped up in the Classifieds "Class 4 & 5 Rares Currently on eBay" thread:

** eBay auction listing blocked.  Please enable cookies in your browser for this site and for eBay! **

I suppose this is an item that would be more appropriate for CGC grading.

It's interesting to see how it was graded.  The notation "Frank Mentzer text" is curious to me, though.  Does that mean that it has notations from Frank, or is it general commentary?  The seller's description seems to indicate that there are note and marks in it?

OK, so this is what a 5.0 looks like.  Interesting.  From the CGC site:

5.0 - VG/FN  - An average collectible with several moderate defects.

$2,500 is pretty steep however.  

I would love to meet Mr. Mentzer anywhere.  Beer/coffee is on me, whatever he prefers.  :D

-SKA

Sage Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Wed May 24, 2023 12:18 am 

The seller has listed another item that has been CGC graded:

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Wed May 24, 2023 4:12 am 

It actually reads "normally has notes and marks written all over module." There is no mention of Mr. Mentzer anywhere. I "presume" the point of that was to differentiate this module (with presumably no writing in it) and other modules that have "notes and marks."
I'm surprised this was graded a 5.0, looks more like a 4.5 to me. Did you notice how the seller listed it as Fine as opposed to VG/FN?

Shrink is not a condition

Sage Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Wed May 24, 2023 9:24 am 

It actually reads "normally has notes and marks written all over module." There is no mention of Mr. Mentzer anywhere. I "presume" the point of that was to differentiate this module (with presumably no writing in it) and other modules that have "notes and marks."

The mention of Mentzer is on the label to the right of the grade.  The comment just seems a little odd compared to typical comments on the label.

The seller's comment "normally has notes and marks written all over module" isn't really helpful and speculative, if unrelated to the item.

Did you notice how the seller listed it as Fine as opposed to VG/FN?

Yes.  That could get the seller in a pickle.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed May 24, 2023 1:39 pm 

I cant say this makes me feel any better about my 4.5 S1 First Print. The gouge on the front was going to take it to a 5 or 6 I guess.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed May 24, 2023 3:50 pm 

The "Frank Mentzer text" is a pretty standard CGC thing on comics where they note where a more high profile artist or writer worked on a book. Makes more sense where that sort of thing isn't always on the cover. If there was actual writing on the cover or in the book there would be a note stating something like "Name written on 1st page in pen" or "Frank Mentzer written on cover in marker" for an unverified signature, which I believe would get it a green label (qualified).

A big concept that the RPG collector market is going to have to come to terms with is that slabbing a book doesn't affect the value, it just established a grade so that a proper value can be determined. A mid-grade slab should sell for a mid-grade price... putting a $50 book in a holder doesn't make it a $500 book. No offense to the R1 seller (I mean, get your money if you can) but $2500 for that average, somewhat unattractive copy is flat out crazy.