$8000 is a lot of money right?
Author

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri May 12, 2023 12:10 am 

I didnt buy a copy in 2019 for a $1000 because I thought that was a lot of money. It still sold fast.

** eBay auction listing blocked.  Please enable cookies in your browser for this site and for eBay! **

Sage Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Fri May 12, 2023 12:31 am 

These will likely continue to rise in value.

Since 2010, there have only been 21 of these recorded as sold on The Acaeum.  For the last 3 years, only one per year has been recorded.  Some of those 21 might have been duplicate sales too.

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Fri May 12, 2023 1:02 am 

Once a certain threshold is crossed, you've left the gaming aspect of the hobby and have entered into the collectible art realm. In 10 years, you will not be purchasing this item on ebay but in Sotheby's while holding a numbered paddle.

-SKA

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri May 12, 2023 5:14 am 

The value of the Orange B3 is subjective. It's different for each person based on their desire for a physical copy and what the purpose of that copy is. Is it a trophy piece within their collection. Is it a financial investment to gain value over time.

Liklewise, the value of $8000 is also subjective. It's different for each person based on how much currenct they already have sitting around in banks and other investment vehicles, and its value is also different depending on how easy one can replace the $8000 in the normal functions of their life. Someone who has $50K in their emergency fund and can replace that $8000 in a few months will have a very different opinion than someone who has to plan their journeys each week because the can't afford fuel.

For me, I don't think $8000 is too much to drop on something, but I don't value the module that highly as a collectable.

This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.

Sage Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri May 12, 2023 5:50 am 

Sir Kill Alot wrote in $8000 is a lot of money right?:Once a certain threshold is crossed, you've left the gaming aspect of the hobby and have entered into the collectible art realm. In 10 years, you will not be purchasing this item on ebay but in Sotheby's while holding a numbered paddle.

-SKA

That's great. If I become obscenely wealthy and find myself at a Sotheby's auction, there will be something more interesting to bid on than a banana taped to a wall.  :twisted:

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri May 12, 2023 11:30 am 

Like a photo of a banana taped to a wall, called 'this is not a banana taped to a wall', from that up and coming artist, Ironic Froot.

This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri May 12, 2023 12:58 pm 

Sir Kill Alot wrote in $8000 is a lot of money right?:Once a certain threshold is crossed, you've left the gaming aspect of the hobby and have entered into the collectible art realm. In 10 years, you will not be purchasing this item on ebay but in Sotheby's while holding a numbered paddle.

-SKA

Yep. Ill really complain about my decision then. I only do it because I know I am in such good company. :)

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri May 12, 2023 1:07 pm 

HermitFromPluto wrote in $8000 is a lot of money right?:
That's great. If I become obscenely wealthy and find myself at a Sotheby's auction, there will be something more interesting to bid on than a banana taped to a wall.  :twisted:

In all seriousness, I think this is the best quality of the newer generation, those from 25-35. They dont pretend to look at trendy art like boomers did. Its not just being outrageous or showing off. They appreciate the items of leisure, fun, friends and community. Its "I have loved Comics/Charizard/Magic/DnD/Video Games/PC Games/LotR - Art/Writers/Lore/Mechanics since I was 9 years old and I am buying/playing/collecting and discussing this!"

Edit: Yes, it wouldnt hurt if they went to work and all too...

Collector

Post Posted: Fri May 12, 2023 11:32 pm 

Wow, $12,850 final price!?! I never thought the value of some of these rares would go this high! I bought my copy of this in shrink over 10 years ago for price I thought was borderline too much (like hundreds, but certainly not thousands of dollars!). But getting a super special version of the module that I originally owned just seemed too cool and special to pass on, so I picked it up as a piece of my childhood and part of what eventually led to a career in video games. I'm honestly flabbergasted at how much some of these rares are going for now, especially given that I don't know anyone else in real life that collects them (and I know a LOT of people that like me who played D&D, and like me, still play!). I wonder if these have simply graduated from cool collectibles to actual investments, as these prices don't make sense otherwise, right?

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat May 13, 2023 12:40 am 

Anything is an investment since NFTs and Crypto. :)

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sat May 13, 2023 12:43 am 

Aleaxander wrote in $8000 is a lot of money right?: I bought my copy of this in shrink over 10 years ago for price I thought was borderline too much (like hundreds, but certainly not thousands of dollars!).

I won an auction for the LCoT in 2002 for a little over $700.  At the time (in my early 30's) that was an outrageous sum for me which didn't go over well with the Mrs.  I still think that is a lot of money, I couldn't fathom putting 12k down.  I imagine I will feel differently when the kids are through college.  Its all about perspective I guess.

- SKA

Sage Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sat May 13, 2023 1:10 am 

Aleaxander wrote in $8000 is a lot of money right?:I wonder if these have simply graduated from cool collectibles to actual investments, as these prices don't make sense otherwise, right?

They are definitely an investment for some, but I suspect for many it's also personal.

To keep it in perspective, a lot of the rarer roleplaying items had printings of 200-1000.  In some cases, there might be 50-100 that survived, perhaps less than that for some.  Compare that to many comic books that had print runs of 500,000+, where perhaps 500-1000 have survived, often more.  Some of those comics can go for tens of thousands of dollars.  It's not a direct correlation, but it's not too much of a stretch to see that happen with these collectibles too.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat May 13, 2023 11:57 am 

Tszii wrote in $8000 is a lot of money right?:I didnt buy a copy in 2019 for a $1000 because I thought that was a lot of money. It still sold fast.

** eBay auction listing blocked.  Please enable cookies in your browser for this site and for eBay! **

The auction had 4 bidders go over 10K. I'd say the demand has out paced the supply on the orange B3

Mike

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sat May 13, 2023 1:05 pm 

It took roughly 35-40 years for these price arcs to start being realized with the super rares. Don't get me wrong, they have always commanded a premium, just not to the current extent. Does this type of progression start to see its way into the second tier of rares where they are still considered 'affordable'?  The 2nd tier is debatable but I'm thinking 10th anniversary box sets, Dragon #1, etc.  

-SKA

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat May 13, 2023 5:50 pm 

Sir Kill Alot wrote in $8000 is a lot of money right?:It took roughly 35-40 years for these price arcs to start being realized with the super rares.
-SKA

Older IP collectables are taking longer, maybe as expected? Our generation didnt know "Collectables" as they have become until we were adults with grown children.Comics didnt get crazy until the year 2000. Magic didnt blow up for about the first 20-25 years. Pokemon took 20 years, and thats in part from an established collectables market.