New D&D movie
Author

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sun Apr 30, 2023 8:03 pm 

Any comments?
From the trailers and other sources, I assume it is a waste of time for anyone uninterested in political correctness, LQBTQABC123, 90% CGI, zero plotline, every character being part ninja, zero relevance to the actual D&D game, and dialogue consisting mostly of bad one-liners. In other words, a typical Hollywood movie.
I could be wrong...........

If you hit a Rowsdower, you get to keep it.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sun Apr 30, 2023 8:04 pm 

I've heard good things about it, but I've not seen it.  

Not sure if we will or not yet, but it's not high on our list of things to see ;)

Allan.

Allan Grohe ([email protected])
Greyhawk, grodog Style

Editor and Project Manager, Black Blade Publishing
https://www.facebook.com/BlackBladePublishing/

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Apr 30, 2023 8:38 pm 

I saw the Dungeons & Dragons movie and liked it. Unfortunately, so many people have been saying such good things about it, it raised my expectations too much. It started off a little slow for one thing, but it seemed to pick up steam and kept me entertained until the end. There were more than a few classic D&D monsters to see. There were a few good fight and action scenes. Overall, it was mostly fun fantasy until the final battle with the end boss. There is one bonus scene after the initial run of credits. I recommend it, but don't go with high expectations and you'll enjoy it more.

I had heard that AMC theaters were giving away free promo posters and maps, but when I inquired at the manager's desk, they informed me that their theater didn't get any promo posters or maps. Bummer. :( I asked if there were any other promotional or movie related items they could give me, and the manager said to stop by the desk on my way out. I was quite surprised when they gave me an original promo poster for the movie that they were no longer using.  It's fairly large.  I'm not sure what I'm going to do with it, but I'm glad I got something. 8)

Truth is worth finding and life is too short to work for money.

Collector

Post Posted: Sun Apr 30, 2023 11:42 pm 

I enjoyed it. I went with a group from my high school gaming club, and they all enjoyed it as well. Many of them are LGBTQ2S+, so I'll ignore your shot at that group. Nothing wrong with a little inclusivity. The good thing is it is enjoyable for those who play, and those that don't. It's also a lot better than the previous movies that started around 2000. We all got the cloth maps and the limited print poster. They also had d20 popcorn holders, but we all skipped on that. I enjoyed it so much that I took my date to see it a second time, and she immensely enjoyed it, even though she doesn't play DnD.

Sage Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Mon May 01, 2023 12:10 am 

Deadlord wrote in New D&D movie:Any comments?
From the trailers and other sources, I assume it is a waste of time for anyone uninterested in political correctness, LQBTQABC123, 90% CGI, zero plotline, every character being part ninja, zero relevance to the actual D&D game, and dialogue consisting mostly of bad one-liners. In other words, a typical Hollywood movie.
I could be wrong...........

My wife and I just saw it with a neighbor couple.  They suggested we see it.  My wife and the neighbors are not D&D followers, but they really liked it.  I thought it was good too.  Yes, it was over the top, but it is a Hollywood production, meant to appeal to a broad audience.  I think they succeeded in that respect.

The portrayals of creatures, magic items, and spells were really good.  The CGI was decent too.  There are a lot of Easter eggs and nods to D&D players.  [Potential Spoiler Alert!] It could have done without the ginormous dragon, though, but I suspect that was to tone down the scariness of a dragon.

BTW, I didn't really notice too much political correctness or other propaganda.  There was some, but it was more subdued than a lot of movies nowadays.  I'll likely see the movie again when it's available through a streaming service, just to pick up on any details that were missed the first time.  It's definitely entertaining, and a big improvement over the prior movies.

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Mon May 01, 2023 6:54 am 

Seen this and the Super Mario movie. Both great fun. Hope to get sequels to both, with how well Mario has done will get to on that.
Only thing that was not great for the Dungeons & Dragons movie was the marketing interviews. Hugh Grant gave fuck all about D&D. He was not bad in the movie though.

As for the theater freebies, Marcus Theaters was also giving away 2 of the mini poster prints. (Have seen that there are 3 different ones in the wild).

ShaneG.

I reject your reality and substitute my own

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Mon May 01, 2023 3:05 pm 

Well, if the brain trust says it is good, it must be good. I'll go see it. I find life works out better when you have low to no expectations.
Thanks, guys!

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon May 01, 2023 4:39 pm 

Deadlord wrote in New D&D movie:Well, if the brain trust says it is good, it must be good. I'll go see it. I find life works out better when you have low to no expectations.
Thanks, guys!

Yes, if you go in with low expectations then I think that you’ll find yourself entertained.  Hugh Grant stole the show.  All of that said, it occurs to me that the best D&D movie up to this point may be Conan the Destroyer

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri May 05, 2023 4:46 pm 

Deadlord wrote in New D&D movie:zero relevance to the actual D&D game

What would have relevance to the actual D&D game?

4-5 people fighting about whether they should open a door for 5 hours?

Honestly, I'd watch that though...

Edit: I have realised that maybe my groups were somewhat disfunctional & paranoid

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri May 05, 2023 5:03 pm 

Deadlord wrote in New D&D movie:Any comments?
From the trailers and other sources, I assume it is a waste of time for anyone uninterested in political correctness, LQBTQABC123

Thanks for succinctly illustrating why I never come here anymore. Attitudes like yours are thankfully being left behind by TTRPG gaming at large, and its about fucking time.

Enjoy staying permanently angry at society moving on from your bullshit.

Sage Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Fri May 05, 2023 5:19 pm 

I saw it yesterday and its great! ... Good plot and pace, and I think it really captures the fun of a D&D session with your mates. Getting good reports from my friends who have seen it too.

Let's go fly a kite
Up to the highest height!

Long-Winded Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sat May 06, 2023 1:23 am 

red_bus wrote in New D&D movie:I saw it yesterday and its great! ... Good plot and pace, and I think it really captures the fun of a D&D session with your mates. Getting good reports from my friends who have seen it too.

My 2 cents: the movie itself is not bad. The plot shows several "holes" but that is a minor issue... the setting of the forgotten realms is well done and it reminds me a lot all the black isle PC games!
Hugh Grant stays at this movie as Jeremy Irons stayed at the first D&D.
There is a moment of the movie where i got shaked by an ordinary vision:
[SPOILER]
did anyone realize that in the arena the other group facing the challenge is the party of the d&d cartoon???
[\SPOILER]
My final comment is that this is not as bad as the first d&d movie but at the same time i won't promote it for sure... the only movie which provides the vibes of an rpg gaming session to my eye still remains "The Gamers".

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sat May 06, 2023 12:16 pm 

for_the_love_of_the_stuff wrote in New D&D movie:
Thanks for succinctly illustrating why I never come here anymore. Attitudes like yours are thankfully being left behind by TTRPG gaming at large, and its about fucking time.

One of the things I rely on is my inability to take anything seriously; it was meant as a joke. Anyone here who knows me knows that, and knows I am not in the least bit biased or prejudiced in any way. I hate all people equally, regardless of race, gender, religion or any other factors. I cannot be offended, therefore it is difficult for me to accept that others can.
I still think I might wait until it comes out on DVD. I hate movie theaters. Equally.

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Mon May 08, 2023 11:33 pm 

Amazon has it up now to rent for $20 bucks or buy it for $24.  Ill wait a few more weeks when its 3.99.  I'd rather eat $16 worth of popcorn than dump it all into the movie.   :D

-SKA

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon May 08, 2023 11:41 pm 

for_the_love_of_the_stuff wrote in New D&D movie:

What happens if your stone skin spell gets interrupted? :)

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Tue May 09, 2023 1:58 pm 

When they're throwing around 9th level spells, I can't help but think of all the lesser spells that would have been handy during various events.

Everyone seems to forgive the fact that the cartoon characters don't look like them, tho they are dressed similarly.

And I can't figure out why Edgin is there at all, other than glue to hold the other PCs' stories together. I guess his player is the DM's son.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue May 09, 2023 7:24 pm 

Edgin was there to play the role of Chris Pine. :) He is the same in so many movies.