"Well hello there weary traveler ..." ~Dumpster Wizard
Author

Collector

Post Posted: Mon Apr 17, 2023 7:49 pm 

Huzzah and Howdy!

My name is Charles and I'm 44 living on the East Coast, U.S., and was just told about this site.

I have been into D&D since the beginning of 3E after I read they were aiming more toward tabletop-style playmats. I had the original 3E books, including the PHB with the Character Creator CD. I've read through various game books in 3/3.5 and 5E but never divulged into the depths of where it came from.

My current geeky project is making my own folder archive with jpg placeholders for books/editions. It sounded easy at the start, but not knowing about all the pre-3E stuff now is proving challenging to sort things properly. I also want to get into the collecting aspect, but not sure which way to approach it or what my end goal is.

~Bye

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Mon Apr 17, 2023 8:40 pm 

Welcome to the boards, Charles.

XAQT78 wrote in "Well hello there weary traveler ..." ~Dumpster Wizard:I also want to get into the collecting aspect, but not sure which way to approach it or what my end goal is.

From personal experience...

Start with small, manageable goals and move at your own speed.  A hobby is to be enjoyed, not rushed and overly ambitious milestones will only lead to frustration  (it did for me).

-SKA

Long-Winded Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Tue Apr 18, 2023 12:32 am 

Hello Charles, welcome on these boards!

Just a curiosity on what you wrote in your previous post:

XAQT78 wrote in "Well hello there weary traveler ..." ~Dumpster Wizard:...
I had the original 3E books, including the PHB with the Character Creator CD.

Is that a feature somehow "rare/uncommon"? Is it collectible? I am not aware of 3E details, thanks!

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Tue Apr 18, 2023 2:33 am 

http://www.tsrarchive.com/index3.html

Not sure if this will help.

ShaneG.

I reject your reality and substitute my own

Collector

Post Posted: Wed Apr 19, 2023 7:55 pm 

aia wrote in "Well hello there weary traveler ..." ~Dumpster Wizard:Hello Charles, welcome on these boards!

Just a curiosity on what you wrote in your previous post:

Is that a feature somehow "rare/uncommon"? Is it collectible? I am not aware of 3E details, thanks!

Well, it's not really rare but was limited to the initial 3E PHB with it being the original digital character creator by WotC! Overtime, I lost the disc and then sold/gave things away before a big move. Just a neat thing they tried to do ahead of its time. In addition to that, does anyone remember when they tried their own "3d virtual tabletop" years ago?

https://www.tsrarchive.com/3e/3e2-core30.html