PBR vs. Original
Author

Collector

Post Posted: Mon Apr 17, 2023 7:05 pm 

First let me apologize if this has been asked before.
So as I begin coming to the end of my quest of collecting 1st Ed stuff, I have run into a conundrum. Previously with first edition it was fairly easy to tell if an item was a PBR (Perfect Bound Reprint) or an original printing.
However, now that I move into 2nd Ed, I find myself becoming more leery of what I'm buying since it was at about the 2nd Ed point that TSR started using the perfect bound format. IS there any way to tell for sure if what is being listed is a reprint or original?   Any help or pointers about this and I would be eternally greatful.
Thanks in advance,
Mysty

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Mon Apr 17, 2023 8:14 pm 

Hi Mysty, the UPC symbol on the back cover will be different and any maps the item has will be bound with all the other pages vs being separate.  There is generally color inconsistencies with reprints.  Shadows often looked crushed and images in general are not as sharp as the originals. If the cover looks off, chances are it's a reprint.

I hope this helps.

-SKA

Collector

Post Posted: Wed Apr 19, 2023 2:03 pm 

Thanks for the information, now upon closer inspection I do notice that the UPC symbols of original printings have additional information like ISBNs along with both US and CAN prices where PBRs have just a small barcode in that area. I have further noticed that the more shady dealers will not even show the barcode in pictures.
Thankfully this will help me, and hopefully other collectors, from getting swindled by shady sellers.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Tue May 02, 2023 3:17 pm 

TSR Archive is a good resource to use to make comparisons.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue May 02, 2023 10:15 pm 

You see the letters "EAN" close to the bar code as well on some originals. I have no idea what it means. Its a reprint if it is missing.