Advice on dice
Author

Collector

Post Posted: Sat Mar 18, 2023 2:42 pm 

Hello everybody! I am an avid collector of 1st Edition D&D and AD&D.  Played in the mid-80s.  A fellow collector recently told me about this fantastic site.  It has quickly become my go-to authority for adding to and valuating my collection.  A huge thank you to all of you who work so hard to keep this site going.  I have some near-mint boxed basic and expert sets in my collection, but some of them are missing dice.  Can anyone give us some tips on which types of dice (colors, etc.) came with the different editions and printings of the older box sets? Thanks in advance, and nice to be among a community of collectors!

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Mar 18, 2023 3:59 pm 

Maybe this article will help get you started:

http://playingattheworld.blogspot.com/2 ... 1970s.html

8)

Truth is worth finding and life is too short to work for money.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Mon Mar 20, 2023 12:44 am 

Here’s a good visual reference from dicecollector.com for the specific editions you mention: http://www.dicecollector.com/THE_DICE_THEME_TSR.html

Collector

Post Posted: Mon Mar 27, 2023 5:51 pm 

Thank you!!!

Long-Winded Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Fri Mar 31, 2023 3:37 am 

Well since we're discussing this topic, I add my questions on old dice since I have some of them which I am not sure about their origin.

Let's start with the supposedly dice from the Moldvay set.

Picture GROUP1: the two d8 should be correct as Moldvay since the elongated shape; the two pale blue I am not sure but the fact the d20 has the two 0-9 numbering makes me think it'd be an early edition; I put together the two d12 as they are different and I am not sure which one is Moldvay (and the fact the brown die has not a regular coloring but rather a melange is another detail I miss)

Picture GROUP2: here there could be similar dice to the previous picture (for instance the d20 has the two 0-9 numbering) but even in this case the color is not regular and it shows a melange (as a matter of fact I could have grouped the brown die of the previous group along with these ones...); I suppose they are Moldvay

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Long-Winded Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Fri Mar 31, 2023 3:44 am 

New piccies here!

GROUP 3: supposedly coming from a Holmes edition... quite sure because of the different material compared to the previous ones

GROUP 4: I am nearly sure these dice are not from an official D&D edition because of the material; it is a low impact material but it is more glossy than the Moldevay or Mentzer dice... I assume these are by the Armory even if don't know if the Armory mold was with double 0-9 numbering on the d20...

GROUP 5: I think these belong to a Mentzer edition despite the fact that the d20 is smaller than the other d20 (and this makes me think the d20s could be by a third party producer)

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Long-Winded Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Fri Mar 31, 2023 3:49 am 

Last round of piccies!

GROUP 6: no clue about the three d6s! They have a size larger than any other d6 in the previous pics... the other dice should be from an Armory set due to the cut on the top... or maybe they are from a Zocchi's set... don't know

GROUP 7: really no clue... the d20 could be from a D&D edition... likely a Mentzer... I have no clue about the the other dice...

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Fri Mar 31, 2023 6:36 pm 

aia wrote in Advice on dice:Picture GROUP1: the two d8 should be correct as Moldvay since the elongated shape; the two pale blue I am not sure but the fact the d20 has the two 0-9 numbering makes me think it'd be an early edition

It looks to me like the D20s in groups 1 & 2 each have an '18,' so not 0-9. In any event, I don't think TSR had uninked 0-9 D20s, although their uninked dice could have melange patterns (especially if playing Herbert-inspired campaigns). Most of the inked dice in your photos look professionally pre-inked, so they're probably not the uninked dice of the Moldvay era. The best way to identify dice is with dice maps, showing which numerals appear alongside which other numerals (though I happen to be fresh out of weblinks to dice-map sites at the moment).

Long-Winded Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Mon Apr 03, 2023 12:41 am 

Thanks! I will tey to map their numbers and check against those maps in the Jon's post then!

Another question though: are the dragon dice the same as of the mentzer edition's ones?

Active Collector

Post Posted: Sat Apr 15, 2023 8:40 pm 

OMG
The blue dice that someone posted on the first page are the one’s I used as a kid

Memories

Thanks for the post as I’m new
Blaine

Long-Winded Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sun Apr 16, 2023 1:31 am 

BlaineFromer wrote in Advice on dice:OMG
The blue dice that someone posted on the first page are the one’s I used as a kid

Memories

Thanks for the post as I’m new
Blaine

Welcome Blaine! If you like the idea you can post here in the main forum and introduce yourself to this community of old socks!

Long-Winded Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Tue Apr 25, 2023 3:39 am 

Hya, I did the crosscheck of the dice of the previous pics with the Dice collector pages (kudos to Kevin for his hints).

These are the pages that helped me in this task:

DiceCollector.com - DICE THEME : BRAND : TSR

DiceCollector.com - DICE THEME : BRAND : GAMESCIENCE

DiceCollector.com - DICE THEME : BRAND : CREATIVE PUBLICATIONS

DiceCollector.com - DICE THEME : BRAND : THE ARMORY

The final result is in the first pic... however there are still some dice that I didn't find within those pages: these are better detailed in the second pic... They are all "low impact" dice, for the d8 and d10 I wasn't able to find the mold in any of the producers listed here above... the two d20 drove me crazy as they have the double 0-9 numbering which is not common...

Any suggestion about the producer? (there could be more than one though...)

Thanks and ciaooo

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Apr 25, 2023 10:59 pm 

Welcome! Glad to hear from you!

I lurked for a while before posting, how about you?

Long-Winded Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Wed Apr 26, 2023 12:54 am 

Tszii wrote in Advice on dice:Welcome! Glad to hear from you!

I lurked for a while before posting, how about you?

Errr... sorry to whom did you address this message?

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Thu Apr 27, 2023 1:54 am 

aia wrote in Advice on dice:Errr... sorry to whom did you address this message?

I thought it was to me.

Sage Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Thu Apr 27, 2023 12:17 pm 

I've been chatting with aia behind the scenes on these dice.  I reached out to one of the collecting communities on Facebook, and they were gracious enough to offer the following conclusions.

The Armory Group:

Red d6s - Games Workshop (likely for Cthulhu or Judge Dredd boxed sets)
Swirly d10 - Indeed The Armory, and a lovely example!

GameScience Group:

Blue d4 -  Most likely The Armory, possibly Diamond

Unidentified Group:

Blue d8 - Games Workshop (likely for Cthulhu or Judge Dredd boxed sets)
Yellow d10 - Mentzer Set
Green & Blue d20s - Games Workshop (likely for Cthulhu or Judge Dredd boxed sets)

Everything else is as indicated.

Long-Winded Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sat Apr 29, 2023 2:15 am 

Ciao Doug, thanks a lot for your kind help!
I have some clarifications but i will revert on the fellow who got in touch with me from FB...

dbartman wrote in Advice on dice:...
The Armory Group:

Red d6s - Games Workshop (likely for Cthulhu or Judge Dredd boxed sets)

Even if the material is different because these red d6s are "low impact", the mold is the same as of the Armory d6... I can understand that this kind of die could be used for a specific game like CoC or Judge Dredd, however it is rather strange that the manufcturer is not the armory...

dbartman wrote in Advice on dice:...
GameScience Group:

Blue d4 -  Most likely The Armory, possibly Diamond

In this case the blue d4 has the same mold of the white d4: I can understand that i made an error in the identification but it'd be either both are the armory or both are gamescience... even in this case i find strange that 2 manufacturers have used tha same mold...

Thanks in any case, ciaooo