Help with the ‘ol memory
Author

Active Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Mar 18, 2023 12:14 pm 

It seems to me when I played AD&D in the early-mid 80’s, I recall a friend having clear dice with blue numbers. Maybe  my memory is just cloudy enough to think there was clear dice then but in my search for said dice on eBay, no luck. Was there clear dice available then?

Site Admin

Post Posted: Sat Mar 18, 2023 1:59 pm 

Clear dice were never part of any TSR product, but they've been available from third-party manufacturers.  Which ones and who came out with the first ones, I'll leave to the dice experts.

Foul

Long-Winded Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sun Mar 19, 2023 2:43 am 

You could address this question to Kevin Cook (www.dicecollector.com): he is a very kind person with a wide knowledge on dice and extremely available! Highly reccomended fellow!
Ciaooo

Active Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Mar 19, 2023 9:56 am 

Thanks for the feedback. I knew the sets didn’t come with clear so it had to have been an after market set but I’m finding it odd there haven’t been any listings on eBay for vintage or collectible or retro or whatever search term for clear dice. I will send a note to Kevin Cook and see if he can set me straight. I appreciate the feedbacks and referral.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Mon Mar 20, 2023 12:24 am 

Hey Jar15a1, Jon Peterson’s excellent blog playingattheworld.blogspot.com/2020/02/ ... 1970s.html on polyhedral dice from the 1970’s (as pointed out in the adjacent forum thread) not only confirms the answer to your core question, but it will give you a great foundation to help you in your quest…

I find clear old school polyhedral dice from the 70s-80s to be a bit elusive in original release/new condition via online sources like ebay. I see them most often available individually in mixed lots. It’s been a few years since my last find which was a set of Martian Metals dilithium crystals like seen here: dicecollector.com/images/large/d6/002d2 ... aec0d8.jpg

Please share what you learn from Mr. Cook. His site is awesome!  8)

Last edited by Supernaut on Wed Mar 22, 2023 12:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Tue Mar 21, 2023 4:28 pm 

TSR8006

Welcome to the rabbit-hole.

Active Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Mar 21, 2023 8:31 pm 

Supernaut- That looks like what I can recall! Perhaps my friend colored in the numbers as suggested by Kevin Cook but what you are showing me is definitely in the realm of the clear dice I can remember. This is spot on! I’m going to have to keep a sharper eye on the mixed bags I’m seeing on eBay as I’ve only been looking at sets and individual pieces. Time to expand and dig into the dwarven mines a bit deeper.

Kevin suggested I take a look at the manufacturers on his site for what I’m looking for and when life slows a bit more in the next couple of weeks (dang work getting in the way but, alas, it’s how I’m paying for this fun hobby) I plan to do some more research. Besides, the research is half the fun here.

Thanks again for the tip. This is such a fun and helpful community. So glad I’ve come across it.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Sun Apr 16, 2023 10:23 am 

Hi there I’m new here
We actually played with blue dice as a kid but I do remember
that there clear dice (maybe lucite) not sure
I’d like to see them if anyone has them

Blaine

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Wed Apr 19, 2023 12:10 am 

Memories
One more thread to purge
So scammer name appears no more