North Texas RPG con 15 June 1-4 2023
Author

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Jan 07, 2023 12:54 pm 

Welcome to the North Texas RPG Convention! The NTRPG Con focuses on old-school Dungeons & Dragons gaming (OD&D, 1E, 2E, or Basic/Expert) as well as any pre-1999 type of RPG produced by the classic gaming companies of the 70s and 80s (TSR, Chaosium, FGU, FASA, GDW, etc). We also support retro-clone or simulacrum type gaming that copies the old style of RPGs (Swords & Wizardry, Castles & Crusades, and others). ANY RPG games are welcome at the Con, be it D&D 5E, or something we haven't even heard of, just be sure you can fill a table with 5-6 people before you ask to have it added to the schedule...

Our 15th annual convention dates are: Thursday June 1, until Sunday June 4. We also have a Pre Con Get-It-On Wed night (May 31), where any games can be played on all open tables.

During Registration period, you can buy register for the con, register games, and buy tshirts. This year's logo is by the same artist as last year, the very talented James Shields.

Please look around, read up and register if you plan to attend. You must pay for one day or a weekend before you are able to register for a game. Tabletop Events has all the information you need to sign up, just look up the date of the con (June 1, 2023)
https://tabletop.events/conventions/ntrpgcon-2023

The Con will be held at the Westin DFW Airport Hotel | Marriott International : 4545 West John Carpenter Freeway, Irving , Texas 75063. It's just north of the airport. We have a special rate for con attendees ($110.00/night) that is in effect until May 15th, 2023 so don't delay in getting your reservations. Several nearby hotels (some within walking distance) offer cheaper rates for the budget minded.
marriott.com/event-reservations/reserva ... p=resvlink

We have the following confirmed guests at this time: Ben Barsh, Bill Barsh, Ben Burns, Christopher Clark, Levi Combs, David "Zeb" Cook, Darlene, Jeff Dee, Kelsey Dionne, Alyssa Faden, Matt Finch, Rocky Gardner, Dr. Greg Gillespie, Skeeter Green, Keelan Halvorsen, Allen Hammack, Rebecca Heineman, Jennell Jaquays, Diesel LaForce, Joe Manganiello, Ian McGarty, William Meinhardt, Lloyd Metcalf, Stefan Pokorny, James Raggi, Merle Rasmussen, Dr. Scott Robinson, James Shields, Ken Spencer, Mike and Liz Stewart, Dr. Dennis Sustare, Jeff Talanian, Manda Talzhemir, Thom Wilson, Steve Winter, Eddie & Matt (Longcon) . The lineup usually includes several of the more important figures in the history of RPGs as a whole and Dungeons & Dragons in particular.

Along with Garycon, this is the premier old school style convention in the country with more classic gaming available than any other con in the south, run by some of the giants of the industry.  NTRPG Con has quickly become the best place in the south to meet and game with the past icons of the industry that typically only attend conventions in the midwest or northeast.   We are expecting 500 or so attendees this year as Covid risk begins to wane.  Due to the unusual circumstances of the last couple of years we expect to receive many last minute attendees and walk ups. Cost for the entire con is $100, or $40 for just one day if you cannot make the entire con.

As well as gaming we include seminars, luncheons, Saturday live auctions, the dreaded Midnight auction (run by Satan himself), Three Castle Award presentation, NTRPG con Hall of Honor presentations, a Circus Maximus chariot racing tournament and Gladiator tourney (both with awards sculpted by Diesel LaForce), and more. Always Food trucks also!

Discussion of Con events, guests, games, and misc is now back a the original forums, along with lists of raffle items, special guests, games being run, and much more is on the Facebook group Here: https://www.facebook.com/groups/3104342 ... 3865169631

We now have an NTRPG con auction page where we use auctions to raise funds for the con and other endeavors, many of thes auctions contain rare and hard to find RPG items to help finance the con. We also auction collections of NTRPG con associated individuals including Allen Hammack, Lloyd Metcalf, Stan Shinn and others. Check it out on Facebook! https://www.facebook.com/groups/2136347396520135

Mike B.

"THE MORE YOU THINK ABOUT WHY i DONE WHAT i DONE THE MORE i LAUGH" Cougar
"The Acaeum hates fun" Sir Allen
"I had a collecting emergency" Nogrod
Co-founder of the North Texas RPG Con
NTRPGCON

Last edited by Badmike on Sun Apr 16, 2023 10:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Jan 08, 2023 8:46 pm 

Best con in the land!   My son and I are returning and looking forward to all the fun!  :D

Truth is worth finding and life is too short to work for money.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Apr 16, 2023 10:52 am 

A few points of interest:

Updated the Special Guest list. At this point, it should be considered "final", some of the last minute hopefuls didn't pan out.

Registration went live Saturday April 15th. We are up to 420 attendees, so we will surely sell out this year. If you are on the fence about attending, I'd get to that now...we only take 500 registered attendees, and at that point walk ups are only allowed if we have room in games being run that day.

The hotel has officially sold out. There are four hotels within walking distance (across the street or next door), and there is a sister property about a mile away (The Marriott) with a shuttle. Yes, next year we will reserve more room nights, this year has had a phenomenal upswing in attendees and people wishing to stay at the hotel.

Any questions, let us know!

Mike B.

NTRPGCON

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Jun 06, 2023 10:29 am 

I had a great time this year at NTX!  Here's my report.

Our flight went way better than last year as Joshua and I landed in Dallas instead of Houston.  Last year, we completely missed Wednesday night arriving after 1:00 PM.  So, we arrived on time this year and were able to help set up all the maps, game sheets, and pick up game board display.  Everyone was more prepared this year than last, and we needed to be due to the significantly larger attendance numbers.  If I remember correctly, we had over 500 people at the con!   :shock:   I believe last year we had closer to 400, maybe a little over that.

I bought some merch.  The white map booklet was free.

Image Image Image

My first game was with Steve Robertson, Tomb of the Barbarian King, where I played at 7th level MU.  It was a fun dungeon crawl with lots of undead.  We ended up accomplishing our goal, and everybody in our group had a good time.

My son Joshua led a game and had an interesting group of players, but one of them came up to me unsolicited and said he had a great time.  I was pleased to see him enjoying himself and helping out the con.

My Thursday morning game was The Slime Lords of Ykk DM'd by Steve Winter.  I played a 6th level MU (I think), and we had to solve a mystery where lots of people were turning to slime, including the king's son.  We had to explore the sewers and dungeons of the city to find the culprits.  We had an average crew of players, but we solved the mystery.  I always enjoy Steve's games.

Thursday night was a real highlight as it was the K&KA Social!!  Our room was packed with about fifteen players plus a couple of observers.  We played in an adventure called The Opposing Orb of Otagh.  I think I played a MU again, around 6th level.  This orb was a space ship that had crash landed on Planet Eris.  Elf-like humanoids inside were apparently dealing with a slime problem.  We entered a room of some kind with four large control crystals around a glass half-dome of some kind so I volunteered to tryout the device and ended up summoning a vampire of some kind.  I then proceed to try another crystal which summoned another monster, so we decided that was the end of that.  Jimm Johnson, and another guy whose name I can't remember, did a great job of leading the game and they gave us a beautiful hard copy of the digest-sized adventure, which is sure to be an immediate collectible.  Here's a photo from that night.

On Friday at noon, I played in Allan Hammack's Boot Hill game, The Magnificent Seven...at Tombstone!  It was basically a shootout at the OK Corral scenario.  Allen took our six players and made three factions of two players each.  Each pair of players controlled about 7-9 cowboys.  One faction was the law, one was the bad guys and the third was the hired guns to rescue a lady from the bad guys.  Below is the map early on in the game.  We were the hired guns using the green based minis.  The law used red-based minis and the bad guys used orange based minis. The photo below makes it difficult to see the difference between the red based and the orange based minis.

There was a huge gun fight between the law and the bad guys and we ignored that, found out where the damsel in distress was, and tried to rescue her first.  The bad guys shot her dead right before we killed her captors.  :(

Friday night I played in tacojohn's game, THE HIDDEN SHRINE OF TAMOACHAN. I played in this about forty years ago, and had forgotten almost everything, so it was a lot of fun.  We explored most of the rooms and were able to escape to the surface before midnight.  Another group took five and a half hours to basically explore five rooms!   :shock:   Our group was mission-focused and we had a good time.  

Saturday was my super busy day.  It started in the morning with Talanian's HYPERBOREA: The Auroral Odyssey.  Every player was a barbarian, and we had to escape from or kill our Roman legion captors after there was a huge blast from the sky.  We quickly succeeded only to witness a WWII fighter plane fall out of the sky.  We went exploring, had to kill the pilot, only to witness some fellow barbarians in chains by some beast captors.  Our adventure morphed into a rescue mission.  We barely succeed in that endeavor with three people in our party reduced to zero hp, two dead and two barely having enough luck and hp to accomplish the rescue.  I was able to make the killing, final blow.  Jeffrey is a talented DM and runs a great game.

I immediately had to go to Raggi's game, The Ice Castle of Fire, at 1 PM. I wasn't sure what to expect.  I have read some of his adventures, and he is very creative and edgy from mainstream D&D fantasy.  Turned out he was an excellent DM with just as much bizarre attitude as there was content.  He managed the game well, even though we had one guy in particular who was very talkative and unfiltered. I had a great time and hope I play in more of his games.

Saturday night I played in grodog's game, LEGIO V—Gary Gygax's Castle Greyhawk, and I always love playing in his games.  That being said, I played a high-level MU and was killed early in the game by a Nycademon (I think).  However, I got to watch other players struggle and die for most of the remaining game.  We didn't come anywhere close to accomplishing our mission.  In fact, we couldn't get past our first locked door thinking it was a puzzle just because it had an image of a chessboard.  I didn't have Knock in my spell book, so it wasn't completely my fault.  Lot's of fun!

Sunday morning I played in Steve Winter's Dag-nabbit, Big Rabbit, a Gamma World game.  I played a mutant turtle creature.  We had to steal a part from a huge cannon that was mounted on a skyscraper.  We were betrayed and failed miserably. But we had a great time.

The best part of the con is meeting and working with all the people.  NTX has a great group of staffers I love working with.

I was able to meet some new and interesting people including Kelsey Dionne, James Raggi and Matt Farniok, a football player with the Dallas Cowboys.

I especially love that my son is able to serve on staff with me.  He was able to meet with several writers and publishers because that's a strong interest of his.  It's a real bonding experience to share this con together.  I think we played in about three games together.  We can't wait to return next year!   8)

Sage Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Jun 09, 2023 2:40 am 

What a wonderful overview of your time at the Con! I enjoyed reading that. It is so long since I have been to a con of any kind. Would love to come to one in the US, join in the games and meet people from here one day.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Jun 11, 2023 5:15 pm 

Thanks for you and your sons help, Chris, great time with an all time high for attendance .

Mike B

NTRPGCON

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Jun 12, 2023 11:56 am 

HermitFromPluto wrote in North Texas RPG con 15 June 1-4 2023:What a wonderful overview of your time at the Con! I enjoyed reading that. It is so long since I have been to a con of any kind. Would love to come to one in the US, join in the games and meet people from here one day.

I'm pleased at least one person enjoyed my overview/report.  I hope you will attend the con next year.  It really is an amazing experience.

Badmike wrote in North Texas RPG con 15 June 1-4 2023:Thanks for you and your sons help, Chris, great time with an all time high for attendance .

Mike B

Our pleasure!  We're already looking forward to next year.   8)

Verbose Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Jun 16, 2023 10:34 pm 

How did the auction go, and what did the items sell for?   :-)

RPG’s, D&D in particular has had a major influence in my life. It’s bonded me together with life long friends...it’s that bond in life not just as friends, but in our jokes, our mannerisms, and what we find funny. Invincible Overlord

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Jun 17, 2023 11:32 am 

Invincible Overlord wrote in North Texas RPG con 15 June 1-4 2023:How did the auction go, and what did the items sell for?   :-)

I'll post the list and prices once I get if from Gary. I thought a few items went light, personally.

Mike B.

NTRPGCON