Where do you get stuff besides Ebay?
Author

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Mar 03, 2003 1:46 am 

I love Ebay (TOO MUCH) but I also wondered where you all find other sources for collecting?  At the risk of asking you to divulge secrets, I WOULD like to know of other sites/stores/newsgroups etc that are good sources of material.  Anyone want to volunteer?  I'll start with one tip that scored me a 9th printing set of Original D&D for 6 bucks.  USED BOOKSTORES!    Ask if they have any old game stuff/ Dungeons and Dragons stuff and if you buy a few books off the shelf, usually they'll be willing to dig around in back for you if they aren't busy (and when was the last time you went to a BUSY used book store?)  They seem to not really know what to do with the stuff and you can score awesome deals.  Also, find out what days they BUY stuff... and hang around and see if anyone's mom comes in with a box of old comics and game stuff.  You'd be surprised how often it happens... usually it's a bunch of crap but I've found some gems as well.  Anyone else have any tips?  I keep waiting/hoping to stumble on that Mythical Garage/Yard sale with 30 year old gaming stuff all spread out on a table for a buck... anyone found one like that?

-------------------------------------------------

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Mon Mar 03, 2003 11:03 am 

Estate sales and game conventions.

Allan Grohe ([email protected])
Greyhawk, grodog Style

Editor and Project Manager, Black Blade Publishing
https://www.facebook.com/BlackBladePublishing/

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Mar 03, 2003 11:04 am 

Hey Jon, I already posted a topic similar to this one:  Were do most of you acquire items for your collection???  Most people get their items from ebay. Some of us use private deals with collectors and others buy from online resellers like nobleknight. Hobby stores are a good place but they are far and few between and most have already been cleaned out.

Sage Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Mon Mar 03, 2003 11:32 am 

I had some luck with a note posted on a games store board - and bought a decent sized collection from someone who answered.  But he was really boring and it was really grim listening to him drone on and on for ages about all sorts on nonsense and then he said that he would have to 'think about it' and it was 5 months before he called back.  Here's a question - if you have some friends you gamed with a long time ago and they have stuff which you want - do you pay what you think is the 'ebay rate' for their old modules or not...