What the abyss is this?
Author

** Banned **

Post Posted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 7:37 pm 

Good day, I am new to the forum. I joined after doing a search on google trying to identify a D&D item. My girlfriend bought it for me at a yard sale for a couple bucks knowing I collect the stuff. Perhaps someone can help me identify it. I think it must be part of a larger set or something or a book that lost its binding. But if it was a book there does not seem to be any glue marks or shaving were someone cut it. It's a series of pages that have tabs but no holes to put them in a binder.The first page says What is the Dungeon's and Dragons Game, about 48 pages, no cover page. It's also an unusual size 6 1/2 x 9 1/2 inches. (or 16.5 cm x 24 cm to the rest of the world.)My first thought this was some knockoff someone made to teach younger kids how to play but it does have copyright info on the back of each page TSR 1991. I haven't read it in detail but at the end there is a four part little mini module "Escape from Zanzer's Prison". Anyhelp here would be great?

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 7:57 pm 

niccollofriedrich wrote:Good day, I am new to the forum. I joined after doing a search on google trying to identify a D&D item. My girlfriend bought it for me at a yard sale for a couple bucks knowing I collect the stuff. Perhaps someone can help me identify it. I think it must be part of a larger set or something or a book that lost its binding. But if it was a book there does not seem to be any glue marks or shaving were someone cut it. It's a series of pages that have tabs but no holes to put them in a binder.The first page says What is the Dungeon's and Dragons Game, about 48 pages, no cover page. It's also an unusual size 6 1/2 x 9 1/2 inches. (or 16.5 cm x 24 cm to the rest of the world.)My first thought this was some knockoff someone made to teach younger kids how to play but it does have copyright info on the back of each page TSR 1991. I haven't read it in detail but at the end there is a four part little mini module "Escape from Zanzer's Prison". Anyhelp here would be great?

Hi and welcome to the forum. My guess is that what you have is probably a booklet from within the rerelease Dungeons and Dragons Box set produced in 1993. Here is a picture of the box set that I am refering to:

It is also found on this site in the foreign editions, primarily because outside of a few exceptions, this site in its main pages only covers 1st edition items. Here is the link that is on this site as well that shows this set (this is the Italian version):

acaeum.com/DDIndexes/SetPages/Foreign/F ... Italy.html

Hope that helps.

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

** Banned **

Post Posted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 5:11 pm 

That would be it up in the corner in a little box. Mine is just the cards, the box and the rest of the components are missing. Very cool, now of course I want the whole thing. In another language would be interesting, I wonder if it came in german?