D&D for Dummies
Author

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat Mar 19, 2005 11:07 pm 

belial418 wrote:When was 3.0 released--in 2000?
So in the past 5 years all of that has been released and as we said--that isnt all of it!
Also the Module list, which I really dont know how many there are either.

IIRC, a couple things were relased in 1999 (Return to the Temple of Elemental Evil, Ruins of Myth Drannor). They only made 8-10 (12?) modules as sales are flat in the "new demographic".
Per WOTC's website - "...we will only release one module per year, if any at all."

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat Mar 19, 2005 11:09 pm 

LloydBrown wrote:
jkason wrote:Belial:
. not including Kenzer & Co in the list, even though they have a licensed property with Kingdoms of Kalamar (my current favorite).[/i]

Glad you like it. Welcome.

Lloyd - Get off this forum and get back to freelancing! I need more product!

** cracks whip ** :wink:

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Mar 20, 2005 3:47 am 

LloydBrown wrote:
jkason wrote:Belial:
. not including Kenzer & Co in the list, even though they have a licensed property with Kingdoms of Kalamar (my current favorite).[/i]

I'm going to play a thief in an AD&D 2E Kalamar campaign soon. I think reading novels is a great way of getting a better understanding of the campaign world. Does anybody know, if there were any novels released for the Kalamar setting?

- "When the going gets weird, the Weird turn pro."

Hunter S. Thompson (July 18, 1937 - Feb 20, 2005)

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun Mar 20, 2005 3:34 pm 

Ralf Toth wrote:
LloydBrown wrote:

I'm going to play a thief in an AD&D 2E Kalamar campaign soon. I think reading novels is a great way of getting a better understanding of the campaign world. Does anybody know, if there were any novels released for the Kalamar setting?

According to what I was reading on the Kenzer Boards, there were no novels or short stories written.
At this time, they have no plans to publish any novels, as they don't want to advance the timeline of the game (a la, the Forgotten realms), as they feel that this will be a disservice to their customers who purchased their products.

I know I don't want to be told that everything I did in the campaign las month has no meaning now.

Active Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Mar 21, 2005 11:28 am 

[quote="jkason"]All WOTC did was repackage a game and made it easier to learn (IMO) for all those that are "attention span challenged"."

I don't think its easier to learn at all.  Attacks of opportunity?  Bleh.

I prefer the abstract realistic version that I grew up on.  :D

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Mar 21, 2005 1:22 pm 

beyerun wrote:I prefer the abstract realistic version that I grew up on. :D

8O 8O 8O 8O

There are no bad editions of D&D, just Boring Players and Unimaginative DMs.

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Mar 21, 2005 5:26 pm 

3rd ed is easier to learn, has less inconsistancies and runs smoother, I have played them all and 3.0/3.5 rules  :twisted:

Games can get you through times of no money but money can not get you through times of no games!!

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Mar 21, 2005 5:53 pm 

Blackmoor wrote:3rd ed is easier to learn, has less inconsistancies and runs smoother, I have played them all and 3.0/3.5 rules :twisted:

I agree with Blackmoor.

Although I do prefer OD&D and 1E AD&D.

The more the game has been developed over the years, the easier and more restrictive it has become. It panders to the mass market and those of us who have no imagination. It could hardly be described as a fantasy role playing game anymore.

But 3E seems to have its market. A little change from the Playstation and Xbox that doesn't take much thinking about. Beats the hell out of watching videos.

This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.

Active Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Mar 22, 2005 1:01 pm 

MrFilthyIke wrote:
beyerun wrote:I prefer the abstract realistic version that I grew up on. :D

8O 8O 8O 8O

I find the rules being abstract to represent more realism.

Each attack is several swings, feints, etc.  Read that someplace years and years ago, and that works for me.  Hits that bounce off and do no damage etc.

Sitting there for five minutes trying to figure out if I move one square this way instead of that in order to get an attack of opportunity doesn't add to the realism to me.

So it's abstract realism for me.  :wink:

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Mar 22, 2005 3:11 pm 

More power to you beyerun, and I've also read that 1 turn was supposed to be multiple swings.  Here's a secret, I don't think D&D is realistic in any edition. :)  However, I've always like high paced action and daring do, and 3rd ed gives more rules for that to be accomplished.  Older editions need more free-form gaming ,which is also cool.  Don't styles for different groups.  Still won't be the fantasy game I love the most, *whispers* Talislanta.  :wink:

Active Collector

Post Posted: Wed Mar 23, 2005 12:22 pm 

Ralf Toth wrote:
LloydBrown wrote:

Dave (Kenzer) is willing to publish novels if he can review one that doesn't suck, er meets his high standards.  In keeping with the company's vision of a static timeline, they don't want novels that change the world, so it would most likely have to be something set in the past.

Lloyd Brown

Just some guy

Active Collector

Post Posted: Wed Mar 23, 2005 12:24 pm 

jkason wrote:
LloydBrown wrote:

Lloyd - Get off this forum and get back to freelancing! I need more product!

** cracks whip ** :wink:

Actually, now that I sold my game store, my productivity has shot through the roof.  I hope to write an entire book during the month of March.  Then I'll get back to the Kenzer stuff.  With luck, I'll have Greed & Glory done by the end of April.

Lloyd Brown

Just some guy

Collector

Post Posted: Wed Mar 23, 2005 8:29 pm 

It is interesting to think that somebody might want to learn to play D&D, but not have any friends around to show them.

At first I laughed at the idea of a "D&D For Dummies" book. Then it occurred to me that if nobody had shown me how to play when I was young, then I would probably have a hard time grasping the rather abstract concepts presented in the rule books. Didn't we all have somebody show us?

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Mar 23, 2005 8:36 pm 

iattackthedarkness wrote:It is interesting to think that somebody might want to learn to play D&D, but not have any friends around to show them.

At first I laughed at the idea of a "D&D For Dummies" book. Then it occurred to me that if nobody had shown me how to play when I was young, then I would probably have a hard time grasping the rather abstract concepts presented in the rule books. Didn't we all have somebody show us?

Good point, I had some run me through a one shot, but no real rules were expalined.  Then they bolted, and I bought Mr Mentzer's lil Red Box, taught myself, and it went downhill from there. ;)

I need that person to SHOW me how much fun it was, but this book would've been REAL handy.

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Wed Mar 23, 2005 8:46 pm 

iattackthedarkness wrote:It is interesting to think that somebody might want to learn to play D&D, but not have any friends around to show them.

:) *nods*. Certainly a valid point... And one that's very easy to be blasé about, from where we all stand now.

Yes; that's probably one reason why such a now-blindingly-obvious "good idea" as RPGs took so long to "invent" in their modern context.
Even Gary Gygax needed Dave Arneson to "show him", to some extent. (*g*. Sorry, Paul!)
As did Dave, Dave Wesley; and so on...

=
*chuckles*. I had to kinda work things out for myself (aged 8 (just about) and a long way away from any RPG group I knew about).
Wish I could remember more about those stabs-in-the-dark I must've made turning all those mechanics and ideas on paper into a framework for the "reinvention of the imagination" in a story-telling context (although I'm darned sure I wouldn't have used quite those words!!).

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Mar 23, 2005 8:49 pm 

harami2000 wrote::) *nods*. Certainly a valid point... And one that's very easy to be blasé about, from where we all stand now.

It's easy to forget how "small" we all started in this hobby. :)

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Wed Mar 23, 2005 8:57 pm 

MrFilthyIke wrote:Then they bolted, and I bought Mr Mentzer's lil Red Box, taught myself, and it went downhill from there. ;)

*LOL!*

MrFilthyIke wrote:I need that person to SHOW me how much fun it was, but this book would've been REAL handy.

Up to a point, yes. And would expect the book to say so, in the way Gary and others used to.
Would still put in my proviso/concern about the possible degree of prescriptiveness, though; unless that was more the manner of the book's presentation in salespeak.
...All that highly regimented "move up in the hierarchy to become a Dungeon Master"/"complex to learn" stuff which just goes against the grain a bit here; in terms of "how to become a rulesmeister" rather than "reinvention of the imagination" focus.
*shrugs*. Hey, if we "wanted" the former, wouldn't more of us still be playing "old school" (*g*) wargames rather than RPGs? (OK, still can't beat the 1-1 egostroking of the latter, methinks... ;)).

*looks at the clock*. Enough rambling, again! :roll: G'night, all! :P

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Wed Mar 23, 2005 9:05 pm 

MrFilthyIke wrote:It's easy to forget how "small" we all started in this hobby. :)

*g*. Still at level one, here! 8) ...or else reverse brevet-ranking myself back to that ;)

And that's not just when other people get onto various RPG topics about which I know nothing!

Certainly makes the "random encounters table" a lot easier to cope with, anyhow... :P

PreviousNext