D&D for Dummies
Author

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 9:55 am 

Deadlord36 wrote:Filth, we all just miss the semi-realism of OD&D.

You find D&D realistic?  8O

Just messing with you all a bit. ;)

Actually, I find all D&D unrealistic.  But, I'm not getting into a 3rd party

debate, and I need time do things like my job, and chores.  That kinda

debate would take up too much time. :)

There are no bad editions of D&D, just Boring Players and Unimaginative DMs.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 7:33 pm 

Check this out,
http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=rp ... ram/herald

if you want to be a DM at an actual sanctioned event, you have to pass these tests to become "that 5th level Dungeon Master"
I still not sure what to think about all this, in a way it seems really cool--how many of us WISHED D&D was big like this when we were growing up, but then again, D&D WASNT LIKE THIS in our days was it?

Grandstanding Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 8:46 pm 

belial418 wrote:Check this out,

if you want to be a DM at an actual sanctioned event, you have to pass these tests to become "that 5th level Dungeon Master"
I still not sure what to think about all this, in a way it seems really cool--how many of us WISHED D&D was big like this when we were growing up, but then again, D&D WASNT LIKE THIS in our days was it?

Now isn't that just Special..... :wink:

"Guys, I am starting to think Tegel Manor might be haunted..."
Stated by me as a PC during a run of Tegel Manor DMed by killjoy at NTRPGCon 2010

Charter Member of the ATM

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 8:49 pm 

belial418 wrote:Check this out,

Nice, I tried taking the test a couple of times, but failed both times. :oops:   I guess it would help if I actually read through the 3rd edition books first. :wink:

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 8:51 pm 

It's like some of the jokes from Knights of the Dinner Table are actually coming true. B.A., Dave and gang are always talking about "Hackmaster certification" and "Hackmaster Players Association" and spending summers at "Hackmaster camp." I used to think it was pretty funny; now I'm not so sure ... :?

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 9:03 pm 

belial418 wrote:I still not sure what to think about all this, in a way it seems really cool--how many of us WISHED D&D was big like this when we were growing up, but then again, D&D WASNT LIKE THIS in our days was it?

It's not what you think guys, it's the test for the current incarnation of RPGA judges so they can order mods.  NOTHING more than that. :)

Active Collector

Post Posted: Fri Mar 18, 2005 12:21 am 

MrFilthyIke wrote:It's not what you think guys, it's the test for the current incarnation of RPGA judges so they can order mods. NOTHING more than that. :)

But when I reach 5th level DM (with 80 cumaltive points) I get :
One RPGA special miniature from D&D Miniatures!
Did you hear that? A free plastic mini! That settles it, I'm studying-good night!

Estimated Study time:Only 3 books at a few hundred pages a piece, about 100 different rules per page...lets see, carry the 9...

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Mar 18, 2005 12:21 am 

Hey guys.

Just an observation.
All of us OD&D/1e players are in our 30's - 50's, right?
Most of the people that bought 2e stuff as "new" are in their 20's - 30's.

All WOTC did was repackage a game and made it easier to learn (IMO) for all those that are "attention span challenged".

Or, they could have let the game die out when us older folks (I'm 36) kicked the bucket. And you have to admit, the recent interest in comic book heroes and fantasy in the movies doesn't hurt the popularity of the game either.

Now, I have a few monochrome modules, the staples (G-series, D-series, S-series, and a footlocker full of others), but the item worth the most money in my collection is an H1 still in the box (No, Cougar, you can't have it).

While I enjoy reading through all my stuff for nostalgia purposes, I do enjoy playing the latest edition (while remembering getting killed in the first 200 feet of S1). And with the cost of "older" material the way it is, I'll probably complete my 3rd edition collection before anything else (I'm 23 hardcovers short, if you must know. Any donations accepted).

In short, I'm not against any edition of the game, each had it's time in the sun, and my opinon is that it has evolved to where my personal enjoyment is at a high level. In time, a future edition may hold no enjoyment for me - who knows. But I won't start bashing a game I don't like, as others may enjoy it highly, and I don't want to belittle their choices.

That being said, can we end the flames of (lukewarm) war and settle back into discussion?

Active Collector

Post Posted: Fri Mar 18, 2005 12:41 am 

jkason wrote:All WOTC did was repackage a game and made it easier to learn (IMO) for all those that are "attention span challenged".

(I'm 23 hardcovers short, if you must know. Any donations accepted).

Are there really 23 hardcover rulebooks? Not including the softcover "character guides" and "prestige class guides?"
My head is already starting to hurt. 8O

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Mar 18, 2005 1:18 am 

Thanks for the level-headed post, jkason. You bring up a great point.

and belial, why are you suprised at how many 3e/d20 books there are?

I'm newer to OOP d&d stuff, and I'm constantly amazed how many d&d things I've never heard off.  We're each in different shoes. :)

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Fri Mar 18, 2005 3:14 am 

MrFilthyIke wrote:Thanks for the level-headed post, jkason. You bring up a great point.

and belial, why are you suprised at how many 3e/d20 books there are?

I'm newer to OOP d&d stuff, and I'm constantly amazed how many d&d things I've never heard off. We're each in different shoes. :)

bah to all that rulebook stuff - too much like hard work imo :)

i DM 1e and the only books i use are DMs guide, players handbook, Deities & demigods and the monster manuals 1&2 / fiend folio - thats it. i like the game nice and loose and make things up as i go along - more fun that way.

i was at the point in one game where i was really fed up of the players missing things i wanted them to see, so i offered them "perception" rolls, so they "instinctively" noticed stuff - the game got noticeably better thereon :)

2e and 3e for me, its not that i dont like them - there is just too much emphasis on the rules for my liking so i dont like/use them. the adventure material is really cool tho. after the group have finished B2 (they are almost 4th level atm), i am going to play them through that forge of fury, which i read last week - nice little mod!

if youre having fun, thats the main thing  :wink:

Are we nearly there yet?

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Mar 18, 2005 2:20 pm 

if  youre having fun, thats the main thing

Yup, that's true.  The other thing I like about 3e is I only need a PHB, DMG, and my laptop with the SRD and MM saved onto it (all legal downloads from WotC).  With imagination, you'll be gaming for decades like with 2e, 1e, 0e (I just made up an edition  :P ).  And I've never run game exactly by the rules, there are always rolls on the fly.  Happens when I run D&D, Vampire, Cyberpunk, Cthulhu, etc.  

Honestly, I can RP with just my imagination, one d6, and and a few players.  8)

But that'd be too easy, I'd rather agrue about various editions.  :P

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Mar 18, 2005 10:32 pm 

Belial:

PHB 3.0 - Have it
DMG 3.0 - Have it
MM 3.0 - Have it
Arms and Equipment Guide - Have it
Psionics Handbook - Have it
MMII - Have it
FF - Have it
Manual of the Planes - Have it
Savage Species - Have it

PHB 3.5
DMG 3.5
MM 3.5
MMIII
Oriental Adventures
Deities and Demigods
Epic Level Handbook
Book of Vile Darkness
Ghostwalk
Core rulebook Gift Set
Special Edition PHB
Miniatures Hadbook
Book of Exalted Deeeds
Complete Warrior
Draconomicon
Unearthed Arcana
Expanded Psionics Handbook
Compelte Divine
Planar Handbook
Races of Stone
Frostburn
Libris Mortis
Complte Arcane
Races of Destiny
Complete Adventurer
Races of the Wild
Sandstorm
Lords of Madness (abberations) - 4/2005
DMGII - 6/2005
Weapons of Legacy - 7/2005
Heores of Battle - 8/2005
Stormwrack - 8/2005

Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting
Magic of Faerun
Faiths and Pantheons
Races of Faerun
Unapproachable East
Underdark
Player's Guide to Faerun
Serpent Kingdoms
Shining South
Lost Empires of Faerun
Waterdeep - 7/2005
Champions of Ruin - 8/2005

Dragonlance Campaign Setting

Eberron Campaign Setting
Races of Eberron - 4/2005
Five Nations - 6/2005
Explorer's Handbook - 8/2005

O.K. - 39 Hardcovers short. Remember, this is not counting Softcovers, character sheets, or DM screens.

Edit - this is just the stuff put out by WOTC. not including Kenzer & Co in the list, even though they have a licensed property with Kingdoms of Kalamar (my current favorite).

Active Collector

Post Posted: Fri Mar 18, 2005 11:31 pm 

jkason wrote:Belial:
. not including Kenzer & Co in the list, even though they have a licensed property with Kingdoms of Kalamar (my current favorite).[/i]

Glad you like it.  Welcome.

Lloyd Brown

Just some guy

Active Collector

Post Posted: Sat Mar 19, 2005 12:03 am 

PHB 3.0 - Have it
DMG 3.0 - Have it
MM 3.0 - Have it
Arms and Equipment Guide - Have it
Psionics Handbook - Have it
MMII - Have it
FF - Have it
Manual of the Planes - Have it
Savage Species - Have it

PHB 3.5
DMG 3.5
MM 3.5
MMIII
Oriental Adventures
Deities and Demigods
Epic Level Handbook
Book of Vile Darkness
Ghostwalk
Core rulebook Gift Set
Special Edition PHB
Miniatures Hadbook
Book of Exalted Deeeds
Complete Warrior
Draconomicon
Unearthed Arcana
Expanded Psionics Handbook
Compelte Divine
Planar Handbook
Races of Stone
Frostburn
Libris Mortis
Complte Arcane
Races of Destiny
Complete Adventurer
Races of the Wild
Sandstorm
Lords of Madness (abberations) - 4/2005
DMGII - 6/2005
Weapons of Legacy - 7/2005
Heores of Battle - 8/2005
Stormwrack - 8/2005

Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting
Magic of Faerun
Faiths and Pantheons
Races of Faerun
Unapproachable East
Underdark
Player's Guide to Faerun
Serpent Kingdoms
Shining South
Lost Empires of Faerun
Waterdeep - 7/2005
Champions of Ruin - 8/2005

Dragonlance Campaign Setting

Eberron Campaign Setting
Races of Eberron - 4/2005
Five Nations - 6/2005
Explorer's Handbook - 8/2005

O.K. - 39 Hardcovers short. Remember, this is not counting Softcovers, character sheets, or DM screens.

Edit - this is just the stuff put out by WOTC. not including Kenzer & Co in the list, even though they have a licensed property with Kingdoms of Kalamar (my current favorite).

When was 3.0 released--in 2000?
So in the past 5 years all of that has been released and as we said--that isnt all of it!
Also the Module list, which I really dont know how many there are either.

I must admit I do have a few 3.0 and 3.5 items. The old school stuff will always be "my cup of tea", and that's not saying the new stuff isnt cool, I just look at that list of books and for some reason get a little Teed-off.
I love D&D, well, I love all RPG's, but D&D is the be all end all for me--I will never stop playing or collecting no matter how many editions come out--but the 1st edition is what I will always come back to. It has a more "personal" feel to it (the modules) but I digress--this would be best in another thread--Final note--collecting the entire line of 3.0 & 3.5 edition would cost a very good chunk of change indeed! :lol:

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Mar 19, 2005 2:52 am 

Just my personal .02

I have been mastering since the basic D&D blue box, so I went through a good deal of development of the game. And I've been player in many other systems too.

IMHO is that there is a LITTLE difference between 1st and 2nd edition AD&D, and a LOT between 2nd and 3rd - they are quite two different games by now.

From its original, unrealistic, high fantasy approach (remember things the rule of fighters attacking less than 1 HD monsters), AD&D has become something like Runequest, more realistic but low fantasy, where the player characters boundaries are less defined - with the results that the original character classes lose much of their meaning.

So it depends on the approach you like to your own game - if you want it rough and tough or more fantasy-esque.

I'll take the second path, but can't say anything against treaders of the first. Actually I remember some very intense Runequest combat scenes where a party of five fought and won (barely) against SIX orcs... and I'm sure the party remembers them still with the same fondness.

YIM  

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat Mar 19, 2005 11:07 pm 

belial418 wrote:When was 3.0 released--in 2000?
So in the past 5 years all of that has been released and as we said--that isnt all of it!
Also the Module list, which I really dont know how many there are either.

IIRC, a couple things were relased in 1999 (Return to the Temple of Elemental Evil, Ruins of Myth Drannor). They only made 8-10 (12?) modules as sales are flat in the "new demographic".
Per WOTC's website - "...we will only release one module per year, if any at all."

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat Mar 19, 2005 11:09 pm 

LloydBrown wrote:
. not including Kenzer & Co in the list, even though they have a licensed property with Kingdoms of Kalamar (my current favorite).[/i]

Glad you like it. Welcome.

Lloyd - Get off this forum and get back to freelancing! I need more product!

** cracks whip ** :wink:

PreviousNext