POD's on eBay
Author

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Jun 04, 2023 12:03 am 

I think that one is original.

This is the POD, Right?

** eBay auction listing blocked.  Please enable cookies in your browser for this site and for eBay! **

Sage Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sun Jun 04, 2023 1:22 am 

Sir Kill Alot wrote in POD's on eBay:Now sellers are shrinking POD's?  I have a secret I want to share... It's a fake and it will never hold a value.  ...puts soapbox away...

Dragonlance Classics: Vol 3 Licensed REPRINT, New & Sealed, AD&D  | eBay

Edit: The picture of the back shows a 'real' UPC.  Knockoffs usually have a different one.  Reproductions upping their game?

-SKA

This does look like an original that the seller has mistakenly described as a reprint.  The original has the pricing on the back lower left corner, plus the UPC is correct.  It also appears to have the original SW for the module.

To be sure, it would probably have to be examined directly and compared to an original.  If it is an original in SW, that's a really good price.

Sage Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sun Jun 04, 2023 1:22 am 

Tszii wrote in POD's on eBay:I think that one is original.

This is the POD, Right?

** eBay auction listing blocked.  Please enable cookies in your browser for this site and for eBay! **

Yes.

The pricing is missing from the rear lower left, the bar code / ISBN is indicative of the reprints, and the module is slightly thicker than the original, since the map is incorporated into the book for POD versions, rather than separate.  The cover is also usually glossy for the reprints, but that's not obvious from the grainy pictures.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun Jun 04, 2023 2:50 am 

Sir Kill Alot wrote in POD's on eBay:Now sellers are shrinking POD's?  I have a secret I want to share... It's a fake and it will never hold a value.  ...puts soapbox away...

** expired/removed eBay auction **

Edit: The picture of the back shows a 'real' UPC.  Knockoffs usually have a different one.  Reproductions upping their game?

-SKA

Interesting.  The first two pictures (including the one with a ‘real’ UPC) seems to have taken while the book was on a different surface than the third picture.  Perhaps they’re photos from a different listing?

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sun Jun 04, 2023 8:02 am 

Yeah, there is something clearly off about the photos.  You all have eagle eyes, Thank you!  Asking the seller would probably be the correct course of action vs popping off here.  However they are clearly stating 'Licensed REPRINT, New & Sealed' and marking it up roughly 4x over what Drivethru charges.  $50 vs $13.50.  Unless the entire listing is botched like everyone mentioned.

DLC3: Dragonlance Classics Volume III (2e) - Wizards of the Coast | Dragonlance | Dragonlance | AD&D 2nd Ed. | DriveThruRPG.com

-SKA

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Sun Jun 04, 2023 1:50 pm 

Sir Kill Alot wrote in POD's on eBay:Unless the entire listing is botched like everyone mentioned.

If I understand this thread correctly, in the 1990s, TSR published some 2E updates to 1980s 1E modules, which they described as "reprints" on the back cover. Decades later, the best & brightest of D&D collecting scholarship is still arguing about what is a reprint better described as an obsolete update, or a reprint better described as an obsolete update which has subsequently been mistaken by the seller as a modern POD reprint, or a modern POD reprint of a reprint better described as an obsolete update, or a modern POD reprint being mis-represented by an unscrupulous seller as a reprint better described as an obsolete update from the 1990s.

It is at trying times such as these when we may turn to the wisdom of the Holmes blue book, wherein it gently reminds us the the word "level" can have a number of meanings depending on context, mainly due to the terrible writing of the game's previous authors, or the fact that terrible writing with no regard to context would continue to plague this publishing house all the way until its eventual bankruptcy decades later. Holmes was a brave, brave, man to ever attempt to make sense of it all.

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sun Jun 04, 2023 2:55 pm 

LOL, well done sir!   PDT_Armataz_01_37

-SKA

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Jun 05, 2023 10:27 am 

** expired/removed eBay auction **

-SKA

Looks like an original reprint from 1994. It matches mine exactly.

Mike

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Jun 05, 2023 10:53 am 

It isnt a POD.

I think the seller just selected "Sell One" from another listing. I think its a good price for the 1994 in great condition. Or the seller shows this pic, then sends a POD copy.

I just messaged them to ask if the item sent would be the one pictured with the prices on the back.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Tue Jun 06, 2023 4:36 am 

OR... it can be a POD he did himself through Lulu or another POD site, using a pdf which has the prices and PUC on the cover (and these kind of POD are sent shrinkwrapped).
But of course the better way to really know is to ask directly the seller ^^

Previous