POD's on eBay
Author

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Aug 12, 2022 12:51 pm 

for_the_love_of_the_stuff wrote in POD's on eBay:
Actually i think there's a lot more to unpack in your unneeded outburst about the "cultural zealots at WotC" who are apparently *checks notes* "sterilizing old school products".

Are they ‘sterilizing old school products’? They can’t do it to the old school stuff that was published 40 years ago, so that would imply that they are intending to rewrite/republish from their existing IP inventory.
I don’t really follow 5e at all. I am aware of the six or so rewritten classics that Goodman Games put out, the most recent in the line being Dark Tower I think.
So if WotC are going to rewrite, I don’t see them doing any of the six they already licensed to Goodman Games.
Any idea what is in the pipeline?
Or is it merely gossip at this stage?

This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Aug 12, 2022 1:33 pm 

Actually i think there's a lot more to unpack in your unneeded outburst about the "cultural zealots at WotC" who are apparently *checks notes* "sterilizing old school products".

I did say that I was being hyperbolic in my next post.  That said, when I made that comment I was personally referring to the cultural trend of believing that Drow are racist counterparts of real world people and that making fantasy races inherently bad (i.e. Orcs) is a form of racism.  Hence my "cultural zealots" comment.  Finding evil around every corner is neither healthy nor is it productive, and assuming the worst when interpreting something falls squarely into that category.

Unpacked.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Aug 12, 2022 1:47 pm 

mbassoc2003 wrote in POD's on eBay:Are they ‘sterilizing old school products’? They can’t do it to the old school stuff that was published 40 years ago, so that would imply that they are intending to rewrite/republish from their existing IP inventory.
I don’t really follow 5e at all. I am aware of the six or so rewritten classics that Goodman Games put out, the most recent in the line being Dark Tower I think.
So if WotC are going to rewrite, I don’t see them doing any of the six they already licensed to Goodman Games.
Any idea what is in the pipeline?
Or is it merely gossip at this stage?

No idea, but the context of my comment was in regard to differentiating between original versions and the new PODs.  I feel like they'll (WotC) either print warning labels or sterilize/modify the content (I have no reason to believe that this is their plan, but companies have sterilized products in the past:  music and movies).  Therefore, it should be simple to distinguish between original and PODs.

Collector

Post Posted: Fri Aug 12, 2022 11:10 pm 

I'm not sure how to embed the auction info, but here is a link to eBay search results that include some PODs of racist TSR products

** eBay auction listing blocked.  Please enable cookies in your browser for this site and for eBay! **

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat Aug 13, 2022 11:26 am 

Skullhammer wrote in POD's on eBay:
I did say that I was being hyperbolic in my next post.  

It WaS jUsT a JoKe BrO

That said, when I made that comment I was personally referring to the cultural trend of believing that Drow are racist counterparts of real world people and that making fantasy races inherently bad (i.e. Orcs) is a form of racism.  Hence my "cultural zealots" comment.

Yeah, I know you meant what you originally said. Your shitty "hyperbole" excuse/justification was as thin as a wet piece of paper.

Finding evil around every corner is neither healthy nor is it productive.

Neither is whining about "cultural zealotry" when people acknowledge bad shit from the past & pledge to do better.

Unpacked.

Indeed.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat Aug 13, 2022 1:15 pm 

It WaS jUsT a JoKe BrO

Yeah, I know you meant what you originally said. Your shitty "hyperbole" excuse/justification was as thin as a wet piece of paper.

Neither is whining about "cultural zealotry" when people acknowledge bad shit from the past & pledge to do better.

Indeed.

No, I wasn’t joking.  I meant every word of it.  I was being hyperbolic in the sense of using a very extreme word to describe a behavior.  You’re clearly a very wise and thoughtful person, so I’m sure you’ll understand.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Aug 13, 2022 1:38 pm 

It WaS jUsT a JoKe BrO

Indeed.

Why are people so prickly about something that may not even exist?
Evidence has to be based on verifiable fact.
Would people be so tetchy if we were asking if ghosts existed? Or if Earth had been visited by aliens?
Everyone has an opinion about everything, but let’s see some verifiable facts before before we sit in judgement over what writers and creators 40 years ago thought and felt in their hearts.
That seems only reasonable seeing as many of them are still alive and may even be members.

Linkety-link-link-link ...and let’s keep it all on the same thread for everyone else’s sake.  :D

This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Wed Aug 17, 2022 8:28 pm 

I found a bunch of new titles on Nobleknights site not disclosed as POD - they looked interesting and I’m glad I clicked around and saw them all on lulu before buying them. Nk was charging $10-$25 for $7 lulu books. Buyer beware these days.

I draw the line at collecting... D&D beach towels.

Shoulda been: ".. from Pangreenia to Floratopolis, from mystical Treeonia of spectral Forests to Schruborial dimensions." - The Forests of Leng

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Aug 18, 2022 4:16 am 

The honesty seems to have left that store about the same time Aaron stepped away. Shame because I used to like the operation and didn't mind paying a small premium to buy from a company I could trust. NKG is a company I now avoid.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Aug 18, 2022 9:38 am 

These PODs are really becoming obnoxious.  I wish that they were more easily discernible from the original printings.  The only "tell" that I've seen so far is the binding style - but of course, NK provides very few actual images of the product (if any).

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Aug 18, 2022 12:00 pm 

Are they telling the prospective buyer that they are buying a modern reprint, or are they lying by omission, concealing the truth, and trying to defraud their customers? That's the question.
If they are being honest and upfront (even if they don't post and image), then they are being honest and upfront.
If they are concealing the truth or implying that these are originals, when they are not, that is a deliberate act of fraud. Not good.
So what is the accurate picture of what is being sold here, and under what conditions?

In all instances we cannot do anything about perfectly legal licensed products being sold perfectly legally under license from the IP owner, and whist it would be nice to have a big star on the cover saying 'WARNING This is a Reprint' it is never going to happen, and we have no right to expect any such thing consideration from the IP owners.

This site, and the education of collectors, is the very best defense we have against whatever wrongdoing we perceive to be happening.

And maybe letting people know our impressions of the honesty and integrity of certain big name sellers.

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Thu Aug 18, 2022 2:36 pm 

In my case, no subterfuge, I’m sure they took in used books in trade and priced them for resale in the usual fashion.

I’d never seen these titles before and NKG had no stock image or template, they were listed with just a title and price.

I almost checked them out but thought I’d do a quick search - and they are available new from lulu for 1/3 to 1/2 the price.

I think pointing out POD which is pretty obvious on the lulu books I’ve seen before is a reasonable thing to do, especially given you market collectibles too.  But no hard feelings, like I said buyer beware, know what you’re buying and what the going prices are.

I draw the line at collecting... D&D beach towels.

Shoulda been: ".. from Pangreenia to Floratopolis, from mystical Treeonia of spectral Forests to Schruborial dimensions." - The Forests of Leng

Long-Winded Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Thu Aug 18, 2022 2:42 pm 

mbassoc2003 wrote in POD's on eBay:The honesty seems to have left that store about the same time Aaron stepped away. Shame because I used to like the operation and didn't mind paying a small premium to buy from a company I could trust. NKG is a company I now avoid.

Did Aaron left NK? I didn't know that! Was there any specific problem?

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Thu Aug 18, 2022 6:31 pm 

If you notice he typed "stepped away" not left. He still owns the company but it appears his brother is heavily involved in the day to day operation. It seems to me that Aaron has been less involved for over 10 years now.

Shrink is not a condition

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Tue Oct 25, 2022 10:42 pm 

Some serious color reproduction issues here.  I know DriveThru will replace the book if there are content issues (missing or blurry pages) but do they send you another one if the color is off like this one?  Also, nowhere does seller state it's a reprint.  :(

** eBay auction listing blocked.  Please enable cookies in your browser for this site and for eBay! **

-SKA

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Oct 28, 2022 7:49 pm 

Sir Kill Alot wrote in POD's on eBay:Some serious color reproduction issues here.  I know DriveThru will replace the book if there are content issues (missing or blurry pages) but do they send you another one if the color is off like this one?  Also, nowhere does seller state it's a reprint.  :(

-SKA

Yeah, I thought DTRPG was great until I started buying from them a lot and saw how shitty a lot of their scans are.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Oct 29, 2022 4:36 am 

A lot of the scanning they did 10+ years back was really blurry and pixelated. They didn’t employ anyone professional to do it, and none of it was cleaned up or processed post-scan as far as I could tell. Nothing better than some managers kid sitting at home with a CompUSA bought scanner and a desktop PC could do.

I could get why WotC were jumping on the PDF bandwagon. There was a lot of money being made in that space, but the PoD option is just for the really desperate or the really stupid (or maybe merely ignorant.) It is a mistake they only make once.

Quality PoD only works with publication quality PDFs, and even then you have to use the right PoD printer, and it’s a real turkey shoot as to how the muppet sets up the machines on that day, what the staff considered acceptable on that particular day, etc. If you were buying few thousand units maybe you warrant care and attention, but if you’re buying only one, you’re in the FU side of their business.

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sat Jun 03, 2023 8:24 pm 

Now sellers are shrinking POD's?  I have a secret I want to share... It's a fake and it will never hold a value.  ...puts soapbox away...

** expired/removed eBay auction **

Edit: The picture of the back shows a 'real' UPC.  Knockoffs usually have a different one.  Reproductions upping their game?

-SKA

PreviousNext