Author

Site Admin

Post Posted: Sat Aug 06, 2022 9:19 am 

** expired/removed eBay auction **

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sat Aug 06, 2022 10:47 am 

5 different bidders, plus $44 bucks to ship to the US.  I don't know if buyer is international but understand people, it is the next generation of collectors that will drive our community when we are no longer here.  I fear that with the proliferation of knockoffs like this with shaky wording (I know it says reprint buried in description),  it will be driven off a cliff.  We can pontificate all we want on both sides of the conversation but at the end of the day it's not good.

-SKA

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Sun Aug 07, 2022 10:38 pm 

FoulFoot wrote in POD's on eBay:Do you see anyone buying photocopies of The Hobbit (novel)?  No.  No one would do that.

We might be seeing the evolution of books in a way which will be with us for a long time. POD could become the primary method of selling books, in which case the secondhand market for books will be all POD.

Site Admin

Post Posted: Sun Aug 07, 2022 11:14 pm 

I'm actually surprised we still have books being printed at all.  The future is electronic display devices.  Printed material is very millennial.

Foul

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun Aug 07, 2022 11:24 pm 

FoulFoot wrote in POD's on eBay:I'm actually surprised we still have books being printed at all.  The future is electronic display devices.  Printed material is very millennial.

Foul

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Aug 08, 2022 5:15 am 

FoulFoot wrote in POD's on eBay:I'm actually surprised we still have books being printed at all.  The future is electronic display devices.  Printed material is very millennial.

Foul

I held back my post a couple of days ago for wont of not enflaming the conversation further, but here goes anyways...

What happens when WotC open up their entire back catalog and give it away to everyone for free?
One monthly subscription gets you access to all the new 5e content and the entire back catalog of WotC/TSR for free in digital form, and anything you want PoD at cost delivered to your door.
Infinite permanent PDF availability (basically just changing the URLs and opening up Google searching to the current status quo anyways), and near infinite PoDs available at cost to the reseller market.

What happens when WotC adopt the subscription model in earnest?

This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Aug 08, 2022 11:05 am 

mbassoc2003 wrote in POD's on eBay:I held back my post a couple of days ago for wont of not enflaming the conversation further, but here goes anyways...

What happens when WotC open up their entire back catalog and give it away to everyone for free?
One monthly subscription gets you access to all the new 5e content and the entire back catalog of WotC/TSR for free in digital form, and anything you want PoD at cost delivered to your door.
Infinite permanent PDF availability (basically just changing the URLs and opening up Google searching to the current status quo anyways), and near infinite PoDs available at cost to the reseller market.

What happens when WotC adopt the subscription model in earnest?

Luckily, WotC is run by cultural zealots and won’t provide any kind of mass subscription service without adding wrong-think warnings (or just outright sterilize them) to each of their “old school” products.  It’ll be easy to distinguish between new and original versions.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Aug 08, 2022 1:29 pm 

Foul

:lol:

Habent sua fata libelli 8)

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Aug 09, 2022 8:48 pm 

Skullhammer wrote in POD's on eBay:
Luckily, WotC is run by cultural zealots and won’t provide any kind of mass subscription service without adding wrong-think warnings (or just outright sterilize them) to each of their “old school” products.  It’ll be easy to distinguish between new and original versions.

Justin LaNasa, is that you??

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Aug 09, 2022 9:40 pm 

for_the_love_of_the_stuff wrote in POD's on eBay:
Justin LaNasa, is that you??

I don’t know who Justin LaNasa is, but I’m clearly being hyperbolic.  That said, my point stands.  “Warning” labels on old-school products is fairly common, and WotC has shown that they fall squarely into that camp.  So, how am I wrong?

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Aug 10, 2022 3:50 am 

I don’t know who Justin LaNasa is, but I’m clearly being hyperbolic.  That said, my point stands.  “Warning” labels on old-school products is fairly common, and WotC has shown that they fall squarely into that camp.  So, how am I wrong?

Sir Justin LaNasa if you please. He bought himself a knighthood. I wonder if Ernie ever tapped him on the shoulder with something long and hard.
He's the thinking half of the One Defiled movement (or was it Wonder Flid? Or Wonderland?) I forget what they are called these days. But they've changed their name a lot to hide from the mouth's vile diatribes, and the general hatred they engender wherever they go. Think Master Blaster, with a Ernie being the dribbling idiot and Sir LaNasa being the brain. They hooked up a good while back and have spent the last many years begging for money online and running countless scams full of big promised to sue WotC and cease back control of TSR, all to their own enrichment. I don't think either of them have ever created a thing or contributed anything to the D&D community, but I may be wrong. As an exercise it may be worthwhile to make a list of anything Sir Justin LaNasa has ever contributed to the RPG Community.

This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Aug 10, 2022 5:13 pm 

Oh nooo, rEEEEEE, the warning label touched me in my no-no place! DaMn LiBrUlZ

Newsflash, there's a lot of questionable shit in 70s & 80s modules that just isn't acceptable in modern society.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Aug 10, 2022 5:42 pm 

Newsflash, there's a lot of questionable shit in 70s & 80s modules that just isn't acceptable in modern society.

With the exception of a few artists that drew pictures that TSR unwisely chose to publish, did TSR publish anything racist or sexist? Can you point to something they wrote? Or are we just talking about some illustrations here?

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Wed Aug 10, 2022 6:20 pm 

mbassoc2003 wrote in POD's on eBay:With the exception of a few artists that drew pictures that TSR unwisely chose to publish, did TSR publish anything racist or sexist? Can you point to something they wrote? Or are we just talking about some illustrations here?

The Dragon #3
NOTES ON WOMEN & MAGIC
by Len Lakofka
There will be four major groups in which women may enter. They
may be FIGHTERS, MAGIC USERS, THIEVES and CLERICS. They
may progress to the level of men in the area of magic and, in some ways,
surpass men as thieves. Elven women may rise especially to high levels in
clerics to the elves. Only as fighters are women clearly behind men in all
cases but even they have attributes that their male counterparts do not!

GOOGLE!

I mean yes shit was acceptable back then compared to now, but this stuff existed!

ShaneG.

I reject your reality and substitute my own

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Aug 10, 2022 9:58 pm 

I mean…wow.  Lots to unpack regarding your outburst.  I said that the warning label would distinguish between reprints and originals.  That’s a fact.  I’m sorry that you’re so emotional about it.  I don’t know how liberals have anything to do with it.  Nobody is attacking you.  Relax.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Aug 10, 2022 10:02 pm 

Plaag wrote in POD's on eBay:

GOOGLE!

I mean yes shit was acceptable back then compared to now, but this stuff existed!

ShaneG.

Len Lakofka’s article didn’t age well.  I’m a product of the 70s and 80s, and never subscribed to any of those things.  Maybe Len did.  Rather than damning an entire era, maybe just focus on the individual cases?

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Aug 10, 2022 10:41 pm 

There is a lot of questionable stuff from everything in the 70s and 80s. Even a larger amount from the 60s and 50s. Even more from the 1900s through the 1940s. I specifically dont encourage reading about crime and punishment for anywhere on the globe in any year 1830-4000BC. :)

Its the same conversation. Some point out every clear or subtle transgression. Good job, you have an eagle eye. (Not really) Canceling everything before their personal age 5 or so. (Modern Society) Others are like, well, yea, but no. Its just an awesome orange cover B3.

There! We have completely high-jacked this POD thread.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Aug 12, 2022 12:02 pm 

I mean…wow.  Lots to unpack regarding your outburst.

Actually i think there's a lot more to unpack in your unneeded outburst about the "cultural zealots at WotC" who are apparently *checks notes* "sterilizing old school products".

PreviousNext