Your opinion doesnt matter anymore
Author

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Jun 02, 2023 3:30 pm 

My newly unshrink wrapped S1 arrived and was scheduled for grading this Wednesday. I submitted under fast track for an additional $15. Fast Track turn around times meant it would be graded in 10 business days. The turn around time a couple of weeks ago was 60 business days.

Its now down to 30 days. Fast track is still $15 more, but it only takes the turn around to 15 days.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Jun 03, 2023 5:01 am 

So, for most modules you'd pay $50 for fast-track, (plus shipping both ways?), and it comes back graded and sealed in plastic. I can see that that could add more than $50 to the resale value, but surely it narrows the pool of potential buyers at the same time, taking it out of the collectors market as a whole, and moving it into the collectors of graded items market. Outside of the highest possible graded common modules, and maybe slightly lower graded things like OB3, RPGA, R1-4 etc. I don't know if the trade-off between grading and loss of marketability is worth it.

This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Jun 03, 2023 4:31 pm 

mbassoc2003 wrote in Your opinion doesnt matter anymore:So, for most modules you'd pay $50 for fast-track, (plus shipping both ways?), and it comes back graded and sealed in plastic. I can see that that could add more than $50 to the resale value, but surely it narrows the pool of potential buyers at the same time, taking it out of the collectors market as a whole, and moving it into the collectors of graded items market. Outside of the highest possible graded common modules, and maybe slightly lower graded things like OB3, RPGA, R1-4 etc. I don't know if the trade-off between grading and loss of marketability is worth it.

For most modules, you would pay $25 per , plus shipping to them and $45 for return shipping. (I should say, I do have a suspicion their pressing service, for an extra $15 helps the overall grade, I may have messed up not using it so far, but idk)

I am not sure about marketability at all. I would like all the first print-mono covers in 8.0 or higher. I should lower my expectations a little maybe. So, that's one person. :)

But there are a thousand miles between that and a market. There may not be a market for slabbed modules at all. New collectors, or changes in current collectors, may see value in the 9.0+. This is how the modern card market functions. 8.0+ is the same price as raw, you may get a few extra dollars because of the slab, but maybe not. 9.0 is a premium, 10s are a multiple. Or maybe new DnD collectors are from the school of comics. Folks know items from the golden age are great in 3.0 and the multiples can start with each grade.

This is from 1974. We know the relevance. I dont think anyone would pay $50 for a single page of a Men&Magic first print. This will likely end over $100. Some pages have gone for much more.

** expired/removed eBay auction **

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sun Jun 04, 2023 1:39 pm 

Someone would actually buy ONE PAGE from a comic book?

If you hit a Rowsdower, you get to keep it.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Jun 04, 2023 3:23 pm 

I can kind of dig the page (though its not my cup of tea). Like a collectors-relevant way of framing the thing to look at.

That is  ..... outside of the nastiness of looking at it and thinking someone probably cut up a comic book page-by-page and then had them each graded. Id think about that every time I looked at it

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Jun 04, 2023 10:49 pm 

Deadlord wrote in Your opinion doesnt matter anymore:Someone would actually buy ONE PAGE from a comic book?

Almost 300 listed, 160 sold including this one from 1940.

And yes, to me, modules from the 70s and 80s are are in the category of comics from the 70s and 80s. They are hard to find in mid grade and nearly impossible to find in high grade, they just arent as popular.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jun 05, 2023 4:04 pm 

I know I'm not a big time collector, but do people really want their prize collectibles in those awful plastic sleeves with the naff header? I've looked in awe at some of the photos of fantastic collections on here and I wouldn't feel the same about them if they were all done up like this.
Also, what do people do with their boxes, large hardbacks and spiral bound books? Are they also entombed?

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Jun 05, 2023 4:42 pm 

JoeNuttall wrote in Your opinion doesnt matter anymore:I know I'm not a big time collector, but do people really want their prize collectibles in those awful plastic sleeves with the naff header? I've looked in awe at some of the photos of fantastic collections on here and I wouldn't feel the same about them if they were all done up like this.
Also, what do people do with their boxes, large hardbacks and spiral bound books? Are they also entombed?

You are in good company. From what I hear, comic collectors of 2000-2001 seemed more off-put about slabbing than anyone here about modules so far. Plenty of folks do not like grading and slabbing.

I have three hardbacks displayed on book stands behind glass doors, so you can see them. Book shelves are fine, but its hard to display and protect hardbacks. I use the clear plastic protectors for some box sets. I think they can damage the box just a little, but they display really well in those. I just bag and board the few spiral bound booklets that I have.

Most everything else is bagged, boarded and in a toploader.

BTW: I dropped this S1 on Saturday and added a crease. It was bagged and boarded, on the way to a top loader.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Mon Jun 05, 2023 6:33 pm 

JoeNuttall wrote in Your opinion doesnt matter anymore:I know I'm not a big time collector, but do people really want their prize collectibles in those awful plastic sleeves with the naff header? I've looked in awe at some of the photos of fantastic collections on here and I wouldn't feel the same about them if they were all done up like this.

Watching YouTube, I've seen comic collectors with tens of thousands of comics but only a dozen or two  "Key" issues that are slabbed.  I can very easily see that happening in our segment.  The truly rare/stratospheric items could/would do well in a plastic tomb.

Tszii wrote in Your opinion doesnt matter anymore:BTW: I dropped this S1 on Saturday and added a crease. It was bagged and boarded, on the way to a top loader.

Ugh.  Man that got dinged.

-SKA

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Jun 05, 2023 11:31 pm 

Watching YouTube, I've seen comic collectors with tens of thousands of comics but only a dozen or two  "Key" issues that are slabbed.  I can very easily see that happening in our segment.  The truly rare/stratospheric items could/would do well in a plastic tomb.

-SKA

I couldn't imagine slabbing most modules. The rarest or best condition, yes. As time goes on, maybe lower conditions. A 6.0 or better is likely the top 10% of modules out there now, It could be higher. Yes, a grade is a meaningless number unless someone other than you is trying to tell the difference between two of the same module.

Oddly, more than anything, this thread has really got me to not care about shrink wrap. I chased NOS at the right price. I only look at the condition now. Unless it has a cool price tag! :)

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Tue Jun 06, 2023 7:01 am 

Since we’re offering opinions, I feel I wouldn’t get any personal benefit or enjoyment from slabbing my books. I’d have to consider the business aspect though for items I would potentially resell. If I can add $100 in value for a $50 investment, seems like a no brainer.

I draw the line at collecting... D&D beach towels.

Shoulda been: ".. from Pangreenia to Floratopolis, from mystical Treeonia of spectral Forests to Schruborial dimensions." - The Forests of Leng

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Jun 16, 2023 4:14 pm 

I am not too familiar with grader. But there it is.

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Fri Jun 16, 2023 6:28 pm 

Same seller...

Is a 90 the same as 9.0?

I am all for people getting what they can get for prices... But is there really a market at $4,700 for a Moldvay basic set?

-SKA

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Jun 16, 2023 9:12 pm 

I will eventually learn more about this (watching youtube videos), but I think its a grade for the shrink wrap. With so many copies of Nintendo games and such, there is a huge premium for sealed vs great-shape and complete. Video game prices have cratered over the last year or so, but they are still super expensive compared to the average great condition module. I think this is just odd now. I wouldnt have thought it was odd a year ago. Because grading.

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Fri Jun 16, 2023 11:45 pm 

$2500 for 85 AGA vs. $4700 for 90 AGA means that the first 85 points cost a little over $29 each, but points 86 through 90 cost $440 each. Does that meet Federal banking standards?

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Jun 17, 2023 9:34 am 

I think the prices on the basic sets will make sense by this time next year, give or take.

I also think these modules are being bid to get graded. I have read "Nice condition items will go up in price over the years" several times since 2016 or so. Its here.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Jun 17, 2023 11:31 am 

As a collector that also has bought, sold and traded RPGs since 1994, i would personally never tear off the SW to submit something for grading. It's potentially worth so much more wrapped than graded, at least until (or if) slabbing gaming material becomes more mainstream. I would happily submit other items in NM condition, or rare items, though.

Mike B.

"THE MORE YOU THINK ABOUT WHY i DONE WHAT i DONE THE MORE i LAUGH" Cougar
"The Acaeum hates fun" Sir Allen
"I had a collecting emergency" Nogrod
Co-founder of the North Texas RPG Con
NTRPGCON

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Jun 17, 2023 2:00 pm 

Badmike wrote in Your opinion doesnt matter anymore:As a collector that also has bought, sold and traded RPGs since 1994, i would personally never tear off the SW to submit something for grading.

Mike B.

Never, always, eek... :)

Would you rather have a 9.8 that looks like a 9.8 slabbed, or a module that looked good in shrink? Just asking. Wouldn't that be a hard choice at least?

No caveats, Toys R US price tags, headers, 10th anniversary etc.

PreviousNext