Your opinion doesnt matter anymore
Author

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Jul 02, 2022 11:01 am 

Yes, the title of this thread is hyperbolic and of course your opinion will still matter. But!

CGC appears to be grading modules, submitted as magazines.

** eBay auction listing blocked.  Please enable cookies in your browser for this site and for eBay! **

In case you dont know, CGC has been grading Dragon Magazines for some time, and they are the premier grader of comic books and other collectables. PSA and BGS are better known for sports, Magic and Pokemon cards, but CGC is good for me. They have tons of credibility and, frankly, I like their cases and label. Older collectors will only use PSA, and maybe BGS, because most collectors and buyers prefer the consistent display of their cards. Equal credibility and better cases/labels aside.

My overarching point here is - this is a big deal. IMHO. It just is.

Third party, unbiased, grading and authentication provides a consistent evaluation of current market prices. Yes, those will still go up and down, but buyers can agree; a slabbed 9.0 is worth more than a 8.0. 10 will be beyond rare. (edit: there are no comic 10s, only cards, i think..) Slabs are also easier to ship, and they protect the item well. They are also easier to display.

Grading doesn't matter if you are not interested in the value or preservation beyond your own collection. However, it does provide the hobby a yardstick it didnt have before.

How many points are removed from rusty staples? Spine creases? Torn pages? Stains? Is that 9.0 NM or 7 VF? It will take years, but newer collectors are going to rely on third party authentication, not a sellers evaluation. Which, like home inspections or mechanic's opinion, is a good practice.

I am completing a submission to CGC, which will take around nine months to receive back.

Btw, I understand there is one grader of sealed modules, and I dont think CGC will do that. There could be smaller graders I am unaware of. Some folks just dont like grading or the monopoly it can create. I know some folks may not like this or simply not care at all. :)

But yes, I want to change my display room to slabs. :)

Last edited by Tszii on Mon Jun 05, 2023 9:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sat Jul 02, 2022 12:26 pm 

Tszii wrote in Your opinion doesnt matter anymore:Grading doesn't matter if you are not interested in the value or preservation beyond your own collection. However, it does provide the hobby a yardstick it didnt have before.

How many points are removed from rusty staples? Spine creases? Torn pages? Stains? Is that 9.0 NM or 7 VF? It will take years, but newer collectors are going to rely on third party authentication, not a sellers evaluation. Which, like home inspections or mechanic's opinion, is a good practice.

I am completing a submission to CGC, which will take around nine months to receive back.

Btw, I understand there is one grader of sealed modules, and I dont think CGC will do that. There could be smaller graders I am unaware of. Some folks just dont like grading or the monopoly it can create. I know some folks may not like this or simply not care at all. :)

But yes, I want to change my display room to slabs. :)

I just don't see myself going down this road.  I pull stuff out to look, leaf through, and read.  I can't do that when its encased in plastic also, I am not giving anyone my stuff for 9 months, that sounds like a long time.  The most expensive items are boxed sets, are people really going to put those in cases?  I can see the truly rare stuff like early gencon modules being done but I think putting an I6 Ravenloft in a case is a big stretch.  Maybe I'm a grognard and just don't like change.   :D

-SKA

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Jul 02, 2022 12:30 pm 

I agreed, until about two years ago. :)

I find myself wanting a copy thats good enough to read, but not so good I want to be careful with it. I also want a copy to bag, board, top load and display.

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sat Jul 02, 2022 2:57 pm 

How much does it cost to have a magazine/module graded and sealed? I could very easily see it exceeding what the item is really worth. With the auction you listed above, I don't see that S1 fetching $50 let alone the $500 being asked.  Putting stuff in those cases does in a sense time capsule it,  however will it ever reach that valuation ($500), I wouldn't think so.  I just don't know enough about the effects of encasing an item.  Does it add value?  Being a noob on the subject, if you display it in the 'slab' and it fades (if that is even possible) its grading is incorrect at that point.  Not trying to be a naysayer, just looking to be educated.

-SKA

Sage Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sat Jul 02, 2022 6:12 pm 

Here's the cost using CGC:

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Sage Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sat Jul 02, 2022 6:16 pm 

Just like comics, it's usually not worth doing, unless you have a fairly valuable item.  If it's a lower grade item, it might not be worth it either.

In this case, it's paid off for the seller.  They already sold another module for way more money than it's worth!

** expired/removed eBay auction **

The sale price was $375!

The average price for all conditions of I6 (SW sales included) is around $75.  This one probably should have been around $50-60 max.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Jul 02, 2022 11:16 pm 

I didnt see the I6 before. Cool.

Most modern cards arent worth grading unless you think they will be a 9 or 10. Vintage cards are mostly an increase in value 8 plus. The rarest of rare are worth grading regardless of condition. Most of the silver age comics are somewhere in between.

I only have my opinion for modules. If grading catches on? I think an 8 will double the value of the module plus grading fees. A 9 might be 3-5x and a 10 would be 6-8x.

It may sound crazy. But I think there are few 9+ modules out there. Many modern Pokemon cards are double at 8, 3-4x at 9 and 5-6x at a 10.

And I could be way off on the 10s. There would be so few.

Long-Winded Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sun Jul 03, 2022 12:32 am 

Apologies but i am not an expert in this topic: once the certifier has graded your item, like the 6.0 for the ToH here above, does it provide you with a marker value as well? I cannot otherwise understand how prices can refer to a value... And in case i got it correctly, does the certifier explains how the price is based? I do see a blurry operation of pricing here... I know current prices and we're at a NKx2 level here...

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Jul 03, 2022 2:32 am 

dbartman wrote in Your opinion doesnt matter anymore:Just like comics, it's usually not worth doing, unless you have a fairly valuable item.  If it's a lower grade item, it might not be worth it either.

In this case, it's paid off for the seller.  They already sold another module for way more money than it's worth!

The sale price was $375!

The average price for all conditions of I6 (SW sales included) is around $75.  This one probably should have been around $50-60 max.

Call me a cynic. But these are perhaps "wash sales" to generate chatter/get people to start getting things graded. Big round numbers seem a bit lazy - but I dunno, hugely cynical view as said.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Jul 03, 2022 4:24 am 

Is this the same company that certifies baseball shirts and restaurant napkins etc.?
Or is that another certifying outfit?

This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Jul 03, 2022 7:55 am 

dbartman wrote in Your opinion doesnt matter anymore:Just like comics, it's usually not worth doing, unless you have a fairly valuable item.  If it's a lower grade item, it might not be worth it either.

True, depending on how you look at it.

If you have an item you think is a "9" or "10", and its a wanted item, its always worth grading. Every 1E module is "wanted." There is also some premium for collectors if it "shows" well. So, maybe is a "5", but the cover looks awesome. Some will still pay a premium.

Its not worth grading common items in the most common condition. You would just be adding the slab fee - but most collectors dont go through the hassle, and will at least pay for that work and cost being done.

Sage Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sun Jul 03, 2022 11:12 am 

mbassoc2003 wrote in Your opinion doesnt matter anymore:Is this the same company that certifies baseball shirts and restaurant napkins etc.?
Or is that another certifying outfit?

That's another company.  CGC does comics, magazines, and certain posters/cards.

CGC is part of a larger consortium that provides other services.

https://www.collectiblesgroup.com/companies/

Not sure what company certifies the collectibles you mentioned.

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Jul 04, 2022 3:54 pm 

The sale price was $375!

This is awesome news, collectors will gravitate to the higher graded items.  No more "MINT except staple rust and tape on cover" descriptions.  I have some extra items in NM or better and SW  I am going to send off right away and see how it goes. :)

BTW I also collect comics and have thousands of CGC graded items; it levels the playing field when we are talking about collectables. It protects them and creates a feeling of legitimacy. Also CGC maintains a census of every item they have graded (population report).

Many in the "Old School" will scoff at it all with reactions like "What is the point of incasing it, you cant read it". Well serious collectors rarely open there shrink wrap items to read them, they get poor copies or download  a PDF of it to read.
Graded items really will bring in a new breed of enthusiast; it revolutionized comic, cards, and coins collecting and will do the same for collectable games.  Hopefully they start to do Hardcovers and oversized items (Like Greyhawk Folder and 2nd ed Monsters Compendiums) as well.

Games can get you through times of no money but money can not get you through times of no games!!

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Mon Jul 04, 2022 6:36 pm 

Blackmoor wrote in Your opinion doesnt matter anymore:Many in the "Old School" will scoff at it all with reactions like "What is the point of incasing it, you cant read it". Well serious collectors rarely open there shrink wrap items to read them, they get poor copies or download  a PDF of it to read.
Graded items really will bring in a new breed of enthusiast; it revolutionized comic, cards, and coins collecting and will do the same for collectable games.  Hopefully they start to do Hardcovers and oversized items (Like Greyhawk Folder and 2nd ed Monsters Compendiums) as well.

I hope my comments weren't perceived as 'scoffing'.  That wasn't my intent.  I am all for whatever propels the community forward however I do have reservations.  Acceptance on a much larger scale would do a lot to ease some of that.  Space is a pretty big concern for me.  If adoption forces the majority of Rare/NM/SW sales in that direction, what does that mean for storage?  I would also have to get over the hump of sending my stuff out to be processed for months (6?) at a time.  

-SKA

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Jul 04, 2022 6:44 pm 

So it’s in a sealed box that cannot be opened and you only have the seller’s word that it is collectible quality (and a third party who he has paid money to for the plastic box).

If you open the box to look at the item it is by that very action no longer in the condition it was certified to be in by CGC.

You can never look at what you bought, or even touch it.

So what happens if you buy a copy of a module written by Frank M, and were lucky enough to get it signed by him a couple of pages in, and at the same time Tom Wham did a few doodles on a couple of pages of a snit chasing a creature through your module?

It gets graded up or down based on how much money you are willing to pay for that decision, sealed in a box, and you never get to see the signatures or the cartoons ever again?

That’s the problem with grading. You can only ever see two pages. Did some guy pay $600. $60 for a module and $540 for a plastic tray to keep it in?

This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Jul 04, 2022 6:56 pm 

Sir Kill Alot wrote in Your opinion doesnt matter anymore:I would also have to get over the hump of sending my stuff out to be processed for months (6?) at a time.

I don’t think I could collect anything I couldn’t touch, read and enjoy.
And how many mis-graded MTG cards have there been since people started putting them on their wall?

It’s just another version of shrinkwrap, only this time they’re trying to legitimise shrinkwrapping things that aren't new, and have a much better way of guaranteeing you won’t open it because they are the experts and they’ve given you a sticker to prove it.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Jul 04, 2022 9:14 pm 

mbassoc2003 wrote in Your opinion doesnt matter anymore:I don’t think I could collect anything I couldn’t touch, read and enjoy.
And how many mis-graded MTG cards have there been since people started putting them on their wall?

It’s just another version of shrinkwrap, only this time they’re trying to legitimise shrinkwrapping things that aren't new, and have a much better way of guaranteeing you won’t open it because they are the experts and they’ve given you a sticker to prove it.

You arent wrong on any point.

Some just prefer the slab, display, third party authentication-grading (accepting a small percentage of overall errors).

New folks coming into the hobby will find a solace, being able to type to serial number into CGCs web site to establish the graded copy is real and of a particular grade.

I have 11 modules going out tomorrow. I really hope to get them back by March. After a ton in shipping. And grading fees. Again, you arent wrong. :)

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Jul 05, 2022 2:43 am 

No Sir Kill Alot, not directed at you at all

The following is a great example of scoffing LOL :

mbassoc2003 wrote in Your opinion doesnt matter anymore:So it’s in a sealed box that cannot be opened and you only have the seller’s word that it is collectible quality (and a third party who he has paid money to for the plastic box).

If you open the box to look at the item it is by that very action no longer in the condition it was certified to be in by CGC.

You can never look at what you bought, or even touch it.

So what happens if you buy a copy of a module written by Frank M, and were lucky enough to get it signed by him a couple of pages in, and at the same time Tom Wham did a few doodles on a couple of pages of a snit chasing a creature through your module?

It gets graded up or down based on how much money you are willing to pay for that decision, sealed in a box, and you never get to see the signatures or the cartoons ever again?

That’s the problem with grading. You can only ever see two pages. Did some guy pay $600. $60 for a module and $540 for a plastic tray to keep it in?

Games can get you through times of no money but money can not get you through times of no games!!

Next