Charity Auction for Aaron Koelman of the DCC community.
Author

Active Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jun 23, 2022 11:33 pm 

Hello all,

While this is a bit off topic for the Acaeum I hope you'll bear with me and you'll understand why I wanted to share this here.

Aaron Koelman is one of the earliest members of the Dungeon Crawl Classics community. Aaron was an art collector first, then a fan and supporter of DCC. He's a steady presence at Gary Con, Gen Con and known for his decency, friendliness and being one of the people you would want to sit down with at a table and roll some dice with.

Unfortunately Aaron has been fighting Stage IV Pancreatic cancer over the last year. He's been through several rounds of chemotherapy and continues to fight. In the tradition of Minnesotans who just don't want to be a bother Aaron had been keeping this a private matter until he shared the details with some of us at Gary Con. In all honesty the news really struck home for me and when he told me I was just miserable.

With everything going on one of the key things at play is Aaron's son. He's a wonderful, bubbly, silly 6 year old and Aaron is trying to get things sorted out to start an education fund for him. When we spoke about in Lake Geneva I got a sense of Aaron's apprehension in that regard and offered to try to help.

The result is that several of us are coordinating a charity auction to benefit Aaron's sons education account. The event will be live on the Goodman Games Twitch Channel on the evening of July 8th. (This isn't an official Goodman Games effort, Joseph is simply letting us use the channel.) As with other virtual auctions we have done previously items will go to high bidders. Once payment and shipping charges have been sorted out they are then mailed out promptly.

We are sorting out a catalog of items that will be in the auction and that will be published shortly after the closing date for donations. (July 1st.) So far donations include original artwork from Erol Otus, Doug Kovacs, Peter Mullen and others. There are also rarities from the RPG side of things and donations are steadily coming in. If you would like to donate something please feel free to ping me here or on Facebook.

To make sure we have proper transparency and separation in place Jon Hershberger from Black Blade Publishing will be handling all of the financial side of things, taking care of payments for auction items. If you would simply like to make a donation I am certain he can handle that as well. There's not going to be any premiums or handling fees and aside from postage all money raised will be going to where it is supposed to go.

I try to ask for help rarely and have never asked for support for something like this on the Acaeum before. That said I hope that this community will find things of interest in our efforts and reward them with the same generosity and camaraderie that it has always displayed. While I have tried to do my part to raise money on behalf of different things at Gen Con, Gary Con, NTRPG and the various Goodman Games auctions this effort is far more personal for me.

If you have any questions please let me know.

Thanks,

Jim

Active Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jul 06, 2022 12:26 am 

Jon and I are late on the catalog due to an influx of donations. That said I will be posting a preview on the Acaeum's Facebook page.

Once the catalog is done tomorrow I will try to get it up here.

We have some truly unique and amazing pieces that have been donated, including a number of pieces of original art.

Cheers,

Jim

Sage Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Wed Jul 06, 2022 10:14 am 

Wonderful endeavor you and Jon are undertaking.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Sat Jul 09, 2022 2:34 pm 

Thanks.

The auction brought in $31.7k last night. Cash donations continue to come in, including a staggering $5k donation after the auction ended.

Aaron was in a state of shock, overwhelmed at people’s generosity.

Best,

Jim

Active Collector

Post Posted: Sat Jul 09, 2022 10:02 pm 

Did that catalog ever get posted?  I must have missed it, but I wanted to torture myself by perusing what i missed out on

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sun Jul 10, 2022 12:49 am 

A suggestion.
How about someone organize a dungeon submission contest? Entry fee would be modest, say $20. We limit the submissions to (x) pages, much like Fight On! did. Once the submissions are in, we have an independent group (people outside the contest) judge the submissions and award points on a 1-10 scale. Then we publish the winners' list. No cash prizes, but see below.
Also, if someone was so inclined, they could compile the entries and put them in a PDF or even printed format and we could sell it as a "Best of the Acaeum" compilation. Contestants could get a free PDF as their "prize".
Our forum has serious credibility in the RPG world. I am willing to bet a published version of the contest entries would net a decent amount, especially if a select number of printed versions were mailed to the contestants (winners at least) and signed. Hell, I'm sure several of you are asked to sign items at conventions already......
I would volunteer to organize it, but I have a hard time organizing my underwear drawer, never mind a contest. But I will gladly pay $20 to submit a dungeon. I could care less about placing, it's all about raising money for someone in need, and I don't recall us doing anything as a forum group before.
OK, I am entertaining my friends Johnny and Jack, back to work..........

If you hit a Rowsdower, you get to keep it.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Jul 10, 2022 3:28 am 

It’s a shame the auction wasn’t promoted or opened up online.
Would have been good to have seen what was available and to have thrown in some bids.

They could probably have doubled their return on eBay and had the whole collecting community bidding on stuff, even with eBay taking their slice of the pie.

Anyone know if there was much of interest to collectors in there?

<Edit>

Seems like it was held on Goodman Games’ social media account, or one of their members accounts. A few picks were published on GG’s website, but no details of how to when the auction was to take place, how to take part, or what in fact was going to be sold.

I thing this was an in-house thing for GG staff and friends, albeit they were seeking donations to help the cause from outside the community.

No-one seems to have suggested that opening up the auction itself to the wider community might have increased the return. Perhaps by concentrating their efforts on reaching as many people as possible with the auction and advertising it everywhere, and leaving the auction to established channels, they could have raised substantially more.

Who knows? I feel for Aaron’s son. Hope his early start in the community and the friends he has around him lead him to a career in the community if that is his choice. I believe we have an hobby that really helps kids be creative and learn. Let’s hope people hold doors open for this guy.

This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Tue Aug 02, 2022 5:18 pm 

mbassoc2003 wrote in Charity Auction for Aaron Koelman of the DCC community.:It’s a shame the auction wasn’t promoted or opened up online.
Would have been good to have seen what was available and to have thrown in some bids.

They could probably have doubled their return on eBay and had the whole collecting community bidding on stuff, even with eBay taking their slice of the pie.

Anyone know if there was much of interest to collectors in there?

<Edit>

Seems like it was held on Goodman Games’ social media account, or one of their members accounts. A few picks were published on GG’s website, but no details of how to when the auction was to take place, how to take part, or what in fact was going to be sold.

I thing this was an in-house thing for GG staff and friends, albeit they were seeking donations to help the cause from outside the community.

No-one seems to have suggested that opening up the auction itself to the wider community might have increased the return. Perhaps by concentrating their efforts on reaching as many people as possible with the auction and advertising it everywhere, and leaving the auction to established channels, they could have raised substantially more.

As a whole I think the collecting community was pretty well represented. Only a couple of items were (mildly) off what my pre-auction guesstimates and any short falls were crushed by amounts raised on other items. We also had a few heavy hitters that kept prices squarely where they should have been and kept everyone honest.

I also disagree with the idea that we didn't promote or advertise it. Aaron is an early member of the Dungeon Crawl Classics community and we had heavy traction and engagement in both the Facebook posts to the relevant groups as well as the numerous posts made by Goodman games. It's easy to armchair quarterback the effort but the fees we would have had to absorb with eBay for the dozen or so items that could have gone that route would have seen a significant loss of return. We used the medium and vehicle that the community was familiar with. A large part of the auction was DCC centric and that community was well represented.

I won't say we didn't learn some lessons in the process. Here are some examples:

When you throw the doors open for an effort like this you can't really say "No thank you" to donations and we kept being swamped by the generous. (We had people trying to give us things on the day of the auction.) I wasn't expecting the outpouring we got and what was supposed to be a 90-120 minute auction turned into a beast.

The idea of the catalog, well intentioned, added complexity that made things difficult in the week before the auction. It turned into a bit of an exercise in herding cats and wrangling pictures and descriptions. We learned from it and if ever asked again to do something like this I know how better to approach it.

We raised over $31,000 in items sold and an amount to be disclosed in cash donations that far exceeded our wildest hopes. That number is larger than the most recent Gary Con live auction that benefitted Wounded Warrior Project ($30k) and more than the most recent NTRPG auction for the convention. (I'm not sure they have made the number public but will quote it here if I can do so.) It's also a solid number in comparison to Gen Con's Saturday night Charity auction. It's no small amount and when the dust settles regarding the cash donations it's a figure that resonates.

I think my final point is simply that a number of collectors stepped forward and demonstrated their willingness to support a stranger in a meaningful way. My gratitude for their willingness to put their money forward is tremendously appreciated.

Thanks,

Jim

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Aug 02, 2022 10:33 pm 

Was there anything of note that went under the hammer?

This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Aug 03, 2022 1:54 pm 

Boredflak wrote in Charity Auction for Aaron Koelman of the DCC community.:We raised over $31,000 in items sold and an amount to be disclosed in cash donations that far exceeded our wildest hopes. That number is larger than the most recent Gary Con live auction that benefitted Wounded Warrior Project ($30k) and more than the most recent NTRPG auction for the convention. (I'm not sure they have made the number public but will quote it here if I can do so.) It's also a solid number in comparison to Gen Con's Saturday night Charity auction. It's no small amount and when the dust settles regarding the cash donations it's a figure that resonates.

If you can remember the NTRPG con total, feel free Jim. And congrats on the money raised for Aaron, it far exceeded what I thought you guys would raise. Well done.

Mike B.

"THE MORE YOU THINK ABOUT WHY i DONE WHAT i DONE THE MORE i LAUGH" Cougar
"The Acaeum hates fun" Sir Allen
"I had a collecting emergency" Nogrod
Co-founder of the North Texas RPG Con
NTRPGCON