average prices
Author

Active Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jun 16, 2022 6:17 am 

Greetings!  I have a question about the Acaeums price value estimate. Was hoping someone could shed some light on it for me.

I like the idea of estimated value prices on the side as a guide on ebay. Curious to know how it takes into account reprints and the price change over time. Highlighted below is a reprint. Does this bring the Acaeums value estimate down overtime? it does not seem to differentiate between originals and on demand reprints?

Attachment:
Capture.JPG

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Jun 16, 2022 6:45 am 

Just my dumb explanation....

The values are historic and based on manual collection of known tracked and certified sales. So the valuation data is accurate based on historic sales ONLY.

There is no algorithm added to that guesses at the current inflation rate and/or current trending of prices and changes the estimate based on that. That would (to my mind) be both subjective and likely highly inaccurate, as both trending pricing and inflation fluctuate wildly, and are a matter of personal opinion. How many people actually believe the government inflation data? And of course each is also dependent on which country you are in and which country the product is in.

Lastly, we do track different printings, but the algorithm is not always accurate in correctly identifying printings, the sellers themselves are also not accurate at identifying printings, and to manually do any of this would be both asinine and a waste of time.

The little block of text is merely a heads up that we track pricing, and the pricing is accurate based on historic factual data.

The reader is then provided with facts which they can then add their own opinion onto, or disregard completely. Bear in mind that historic factual data (such as this) is a fairly accurate determination of actual commercial value over time. It is not meant to be a predictor of price, but a statement of actual value less monetary inflation since the last recorded sale.

That's how I read and use the data.

This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Jun 16, 2022 8:22 am 

The number of sales are teeny-tiny compared to things like a TCG where dozens of the same card may be sold each week. Conditions of sold DnD items vary drastically, and none are graded.

I still think its the best price guide for vintage DnD items.

Its also the only one I know of, so... Im not sure its possible to create an accurate price guide. :)

Active Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jun 16, 2022 5:45 pm 

Thank you for the responses, but more questions :)

How does the program(bot) scan the ebay listings? Is it just the Header of the listing or does also look at the description?  If it scans original products mixed in with new PoD products that would lower the value on the estimated value on the Acaeum website for sales history average prices?  Would there be a way to flag and not record a Print on Demand Reprint?

Just curious... I do like it. It helps me determine the rarity and of an item. Just want to know more.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jun 16, 2022 5:52 pm 

Here's an example of what I am asking.   Can the bot scan for the word REPRINT and throw it out?  On this one the word reprint is in the title as well as the item description.  

Attachment:
Capture.JPG

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Thu Jun 16, 2022 7:24 pm 

sheafoehammer wrote in average prices:Here's an example of what I am asking.   Can the bot scan for the word REPRINT and throw it out?  On this one the word reprint is in the title as well as the item description.  

Attachment:
Capture.JPG

Sheafoehammer, the logging of prices and grading is both automated and manual. Yes there are bots which scour over eBay to collect possible matches.  Every listing returned by the searches are reviewed and graded by valuation board members.  If a query pulls in a reprint (which is rare), board members will throw it out.  They are not included in the pricing dataset.

-SKA

Active Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jun 16, 2022 8:58 pm 

Thank you for answering my question and giving some insight into the process :)

Sage Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Wed Jun 22, 2022 3:43 pm 

Some additional info to supplement SKA's response.

sheafoehammer wrote in average prices:How does the program(bot) scan the ebay listings?

The automated bots scans auction titles only. For valuation purposes, the bot scans for sold/completed auction titles.  BIN or Best Offer items are not included.

If it scans original products mixed in with new PoD products that would lower the value on the estimated value on the Acaeum website for sales history average prices?

As SKA mentioned, if any reprints or POD products are manage to make it through and are observed, they are removed manually.  You won't see them typically, since they are often removed before anyone sees them.