Of Dice and Men
Author

Active Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Apr 15, 2022 6:09 am 

This may have been previously addressed somewhere else in the Forum but is D&D dice very collectible? Is it worth knowing or recording their history? The reason I ask is I see dice for sale on eBay, sometimes in original sealed bags with crayon, and some sets not having dice seem to bring down their value. In this Forum I’ve seen some of you being able to identify vintage dice from posted pictures. Any insight to enlighten a newbie to collecting?

Active Collector

Post Posted: Fri Apr 15, 2022 10:45 am 

bombardgames.com/the-history-of-polyhed ... ard-games/
link in the article to Jon Peterson's video on polyhedral dice.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Apr 15, 2022 11:06 am 

I havent always saved dice and this has been my weak spot. I am sure I have a 1972 Creative Publications set, and always thought they were just different makes of the DnD 1977 dice.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Apr 15, 2022 6:14 pm 

In this last price surge (could be COVID related but who the heck knows), dice have skyrocketed. I mean, the rare pieces (like woodies) have as well but dice are not that rare IMO and they are selling 10x or more what they were selling even 5 years ago. Indeed, it would seem reasonable to buy a Holmes set, take the dice out and toss the rest, sell them, and still make a profit. Loco if you ask me.

Then, again, these are  PDT_Armataz_01_11 times.

Héctor.

Habent sua fata libelli 8)

Long-Winded Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sat Apr 16, 2022 12:45 am 

seodude wrote in Of Dice and Men:bombardgames.com/the-history-of-polyhed ... ard-games/
link in the article to Jon Peterson's video on polyhedral dice.

Well Jon is always a great reading... But... Is it really true that every Tractics boxed set had a d20??? ...the number of boxed sets with a dice i spotted in more than 20 years of collecting is zero... I need better understand this detail.

Active Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Apr 16, 2022 6:39 am 

Thanks for the responses and insight. And thanks seodude for the link. Good article and it has other links as well to additional information. This is helpful as I look at these boxed sets on eBay. Not sure if I want to pay $300 for a bagged set of Holmes dice….  But maybe.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Apr 16, 2022 8:34 am 

That Bombard Games site really shouldn't reuse my pictures without my permission, especially not to spread disinformation like that Tractics boxes shipped with a d20. They did not.

Active Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Apr 16, 2022 10:52 am 

Hello Jon. Your website is one of the links I found in that article. Interestingly, I’m currently reading your book, “Game Wizards.” I’m early into it but find it very interesting and informative. :D

Active Collector

Post Posted: Sat Apr 16, 2022 11:54 am 

Hi Jon

Bombardgames.com is my site.  My apologies for using your pics.  I will remove your pics and all links/references to your site/video. I have all the same dice and can easily take pics of them.  Please give me until the end of the month as I am on holiday in USA and don't return to my NL office until April 30th.

Spare Dice - drive.google.com/drive/folders/1VOjfkUE ... sp=sharing

I actually have a Tractics box in shrinkwrap and I would bet there is a d20 inside based on the feel of a hard round object pressed against the top that you can feel.  I can't prove it without opening it, but I dont know what else inside the box could be hard and round.  I have the all white box version, which I think was the latest or last version.  Possibly these were packaged mid/late 70's when TSR had d20s in inventory? If anyone is in Philadelphia area you are welcome to come by and feel my box and lmk your thoughts! 8-)

On a side note, if this is "disinformation" you probably shouldn't be spreading it yourself(though I am guessing by your comment it was unintentional and the result of poor phrasing)
A History of D&D In 12 Treasures - YouTube

Your video is actually used as references for other spreaders of disinformation.  For example:
Dice | Dungeons & Dragons Lore Wiki | Fandom

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Apr 16, 2022 12:51 pm 

I apologize if my post was snippy - I mailed your site last September to ask that my pictures be removed, and got no response. I mailed again today after I saw this thread (having long forgotten about it), but as you're already going to remove the pictures, you can disregard that note. I appreciate you removing them!

Regarding Tractics, I was referring to the 1971 Guidon (black box) edition, which did not ship with dice. I'm not aware that either the brown (1975) or white (post 1976) box TSR editions of Tractics shipped with dice - nor that any of those boxes shipped in shrink - but I could easily be wrong about some late 1970s printing of white box Tractics. By that point though, it wouldn't be shipping with a Bristol d20 inside, anyway. [Edit: now that I glance at the components list on one of my post-1978 Tractics white boxes, I do indeed see a d20 listed - learn something new every day!]

I don't recall what I said about d20s in that 2014 video; the research that led to my "Identifying 1970s dice" blog post/video etc. was done circa 2019. But as far as I can tell from a glance at PatW back in 2012 (I'm looking at pg318), I was pretty clear that originally "the authors of Tractics could not include a twenty-sided die in the first run of their game", and then that Guidon "hoped to complement [Tractics] by selling these fashionable new twenty-sided dice a la carte."

Active Collector

Post Posted: Sat Apr 16, 2022 1:25 pm 

No worries.  My guess is that your email went to spam because I hardly ever get email from that site.  I dont have my email or wp-admin passwords saved on this computer or I would try to fix it from here.

Honestly I thought it would be a benefit to you & readers by using your pics & posting links to your site and video so if they wanted in depth info they could get it straight from the expert.  I should have prefaced that with an email to you so its completely my fault and I deserve the snip.  I'll get it cleaned up once I get back.

Delighted to hear that you think there is probably a d20 in my box though!  Never can have enough dice 8-)

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Apr 16, 2022 2:09 pm 

seodude wrote in Of Dice and Men:Honestly I thought it would be a benefit to you & readers by using your pics & posting links to your site and video so if they wanted in depth info they could get it straight from the expert.

In the mash-up culture that is the Internet, these finer distinction are hard to draw, but basically I feel like there's a difference between simply linking to my video/blog on the one hand ("here's a resource on polyhedra history") and reposting the pictures, outside of their original context, to tell your own story on the other hand. It was kind of a hassle to figure out a lot of the stuff in my 2019 dice review, including finding the dice examples I wanted to photograph, and while of course people are welcome to build on my research, I frankly see that post more as paraphrasing/replacing it -- and in the case of a phrase like "Tractics, a tank war game, includes a d20 in its 1971 release, most likely a BWS d20", introducing distortions. Which is not to say you aren't welcome to write whatever you'd like -- I would just prefer my pictures not be used as illustrations for your own story.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Sat Apr 16, 2022 3:04 pm 

Again no worries.  I wont make the mistake of recommending your site or videos again 8-)

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Apr 28, 2022 6:30 pm 

WTF are these dice so valuable?

** expired/removed eBay auction **

H.

Habent sua fata libelli 8)

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Apr 28, 2022 10:47 pm 

Chucho68 wrote in Of Dice and Men:WTF are these dice so valuable?

Those are from the Zazz set of 5 polyhedral dice. They are even older than the Creative Pub dice, tho not used by early gamers AFAIK.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue May 03, 2022 12:57 am 

seodude wrote in Of Dice and Men:Again no worries.  I wont make the mistake of recommending your site or videos again 8-)

Boggles the mind to see content creators chafe at the idea of respecting other people’s content.

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Tue May 03, 2022 8:50 pm 

Chucho68 wrote in Of Dice and Men:WTF are these dice so valuable?

That's what I want to find out (still 18 hours to go as of this post). We may not know how wargamers of the 1960s might or might not have used them, so eventually uncovering that information is the bleeding edge of RPG history.

Long-Winded Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Wed May 04, 2022 12:25 am 

Speaking about dice:

** expired/removed eBay auction **

...i remember it used to go for approx 100 bucks some time ago...

Next